Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Sahara side steps are pretty cool...

Old 08-20-2011, 08:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sahara side steps are pretty cool...

After completely punishing my Sahara side steps on rocks, gravel, sides of gravel pits and trees all day long, I can say they're probably the most underrated side rails on these forums. Each rail took at least a dozen hard hits and heavy slides today and they're unscathed.

They're basically stock JK front bumpers placed on the sides - they all have heavy duty steel underneath and an unfortunate fu fu looking plastic cladding on the outside.

I didn't have much faith in them until today. Now I'm super happy I have them. They may look mall-crawler-esque, but they help my wife get into my JK, me carrying my 10 month old into the rear seat, and it also protects my body sides from being majorly F'ed up. My 2 cents.
Old 08-20-2011, 08:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

i said the same thing about mine they can take a beating. i need to re adjust mine since they moved in on one side a little bit but other than that they are built well and can hold a decent load on them.
Old 08-20-2011, 08:52 PM
JK Freak

I swore those were coming off today!

I'm amazed they stayed on after several of those hits - especially the blast coming back up the Gorge.
Old 08-20-2011, 09:18 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ChryslerChris
After completely punishing my Sahara side steps on rocks, gravel, sides of gravel pits and trees all day long, I can say they're probably the most underrated side rails on these forums. Each rail took at least a dozen hard hits and heavy slides today and they're unscathed.

They're basically stock JK front bumpers placed on the sides - they all have heavy duty steel underneath and an unfortunate fu fu looking plastic cladding on the outside.

I didn't have much faith in them until today. Now I'm super happy I have them. They may look mall-crawler-esque, but they help my wife get into my JK, me carrying my 10 month old into the rear seat, and it also protects my body sides from being majorly F'ed up. My 2 cents.
x2
Old 08-20-2011, 09:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by snowbdr88
I swore those were coming off today!

I'm amazed they stayed on after several of those hits - especially the blast coming back up the Gorge.
Me too! Hard loud hits against the rocks were scary but all I have to show for it is the plastic a little scuffed up. The rest of the rig help up really well too. No undercarriage damage - just the nice trail tattoo on the right rear quarter-panel from that damn tree!
Old 08-20-2011, 09:56 PM
JK Junkie

I was planning on keeping my Sahara sides, and y'all just reaffirmed my conviction not to trade up for Rubi rails.
Old 08-20-2011, 10:14 PM
JK Newbie

lol i just replaced those with the XRC rock guards.. if i didnt find such a deal on those then i probably would just stuck with the side steps
Old 08-20-2011, 10:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

It you're doing any sort of moderate trail riding, you'll need metal rails.
Got rid of mine before I KNEW they'd break. Bought Smittybilt SRC Classic with steps for $150 and sold the Sahara steps for $120

The next time out I had to COMPLETELY lean on the driver side rail. No doubt, it would have destroyed the Sahara step
Old 08-21-2011, 04:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 4fox
It you're doing any sort of moderate trail riding, you'll need metal rails.
Got rid of mine before I KNEW they'd break. Bought Smittybilt SRC Classic with steps for $150 and sold the Sahara steps for $120

The next time out I had to COMPLETELY lean on the driver side rail. No doubt, it would have destroyed the Sahara step
I dunno, we did the hardest rated trails yesterday and I was almost completely on the side steps several times - on rocks. I swear, just scuffed plastic nothing else.

Maybe it's just the 2dr side steps that are tough? Are the 4dr ones too long?

Wondering if anyone else has heavily abused their sahara rails and what's their story...
Old 08-21-2011, 08:30 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Here we go with the "saharas are mall crawlers" again didn't you stir up enough controversey by using that phrase in your other thread?? I bought rubi take-offs and couldn't be happier with the protection they will inevitably offer me one day if I ever get out of this mall parking lot I seem to be stuck in.
X2 over the sahara vs other model bs...