Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Ruined Engine at 52,000 Miles

Old 02-15-2012, 01:14 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dont know if this has anything to do with it but i had my oil changed at local mechanic (Kost) and 5000 miles later changed it myself. To my surprise only 3 quarts drained out from the 6 its supposed to have, and it was BLACK! I dont know if this was the mechanic i previously took it to screwing me on an oil change or the jeep eating it like mentioned in this thread. I wont find out until i do the next oil change myself.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Sounds like D-day will come to us all.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:24 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks all for the support. To my knowledge it originally had a 3 yr 36K mile warranty from the factory, which I upgraded to 5yr 50K warranty. Some people have thrown out the lifetime or 100K warranty but to my knowledge it didn't come with it.

I spoke with my case manager earlier and unfortunately, she knows next to nothing about jeeps or vehicles in general. Kind of frustrating when trying to explain the situation, and how it is an engine failure, not a lack of maintenance issue.

I explained the issues with compression, blackened pistons, etc. and regular oil changes with mobil 1. The dealer working on the engine ("fixing" it last fall), and it's eventual ruining. At the end to recap she stated "so you have a problem with your oil?".

No, the problem is the engine is toast. It wasn't consuming oil rapidly or enough for a cause of notice. I checked it the day before it had issues (Friday Feb. 4th) and it was .5 quarts or so low? Not enough to cause any concern, and in the past it had not been noticeably low. Not sure if out-of-round cylinders may have caused the issue.. I feel there would have been less oil on the day it started misfiring. Also, the oil light has never came on.

We will see, thanks all for your support. This is my 4th wrangler, and if Chrysler doesn't go good for the engine than it will certainly be my last. I understand that they require maintenance (which I love doing) but no engine should fail at 52K miles, especially while i'm spending 35$ on mobil 1 full synthetic every 3500 miles. At a price of $20-$30K plus, I think we should all be able to expect some resemblance of quality.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:50 AM
JK Newbie

I certainly hope this gets settled to your satisfaction in a timely fashion. I've got 12,800 miles on my my 2008 but sure expect to make it past 52,000 miles.

I think it might help if Jeep knew you were posting all of these developments on line for all potential future Jeep buyers to see.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

I know there are threads like this but definitely keep posting your progress. I have 20K on my '08 (bought it with 18K a few months ago) and did an oil change and everything was good. Got the "Certified Used" warranty on it too so hopefully I will be covered well past my use of the engine but if it does fail I am very curious to see how Chrysler handles this. Good luck!
Old 02-15-2012, 09:24 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So far, my 08 has a water pump replaced and all four brakes/discs replaced before 50k miles.

HOWEVER... my Dad's 2007 Rubi is coming up on 120,000 miles and it has been burning oil for the past year badly. It still runs like a champ! Just check the oil once a week and top it off and you're all good.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:36 PM
JK Newbie

Default Latest Update

So it's been 1 week with Chrysler at the helm of rectifying the situation. So far it's apparent that things have been very unorganized on Chrysler's part. I've spoken with 5 different individuals in the service department, was given to a "manager" who wasn't really a manager upon further investigation.

The chain of events this week:

I called Monday and spoke with my case manager- she did not understand that the engine was inoperable, would call the dealer
I called Tuesday and spoke with my case manager- she had spoken with the dealer and was waiting on the "complete issue of what was wrong"
I called Wednesday and my case manager was out of the office- left message
I called Thursday morning and my case manager was out of the office- opted for another associate. The associate said the notes on the file were unclear as to what was wrong with the vehicle (I clarified) and she was very adept, and notated the account- informed me I would be called shortly (they all have said as much)
I called Thursday evening and my spoke with another associate, she was of no help. I insisted on a manager because this is my only vehicle and I have no way to get to work- I was told I was given to a manager (he wasn't). Manager said they were waiting on a figure from the dealer
I called today (Friday) to the same service associate (get extensions everyone!) and was told that we now knew what was wrong with the vehicle, now they needed to contact the dealer to get a figure from the dealer. I explained it had been my assumption that this was what was being done all week- to which he replied it pretty much was (they are very scripted, it's all "good will" and we want to make you happy, etc) however they have been giving me the run around for a week. I questioned as to why we were waiting to call the dealer, and not actually calling the dealer to which he didn't really have an answer.

My only real pressure on this is A- I do not have a spare vehicle to commute 58 miles a day in, and B- I know that even once the ball gets rolling, it's still going to be weeks to get an engine there and installed.

Regardless, always get extensions and names. Keep all your numbers and a timeline of who and what is going on. I will see what they turn up next week.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Wow good luck hope it works out! Ill be watching!
Old 02-17-2012, 02:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

If they don't do anything for you, I would put a Hemi in it b4 spending $5000 on the same turd that Chrysler called a POWER plant
Old 02-17-2012, 06:12 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Yeeper5150
If they don't do anything for you, I would put a Hemi in it b4 spending $5000 on the same turd that Chrysler called a POWER plant
x2 on the above. Sounds like they are trying to give you the run around hoping you will give up.

Quick Reply: Ruined Engine at 52,000 Miles