Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Rugged Ridge hood vent scoop installed

Old 08-11-2010, 10:05 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for takin the time to post the pics.. looks pretty slick.. ANY issues??
Old 08-12-2010, 12:51 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Bushwacker one (same thing) installed the same way. Works much better than facing forward. The lower windshield is an area of high pressure and just inside the scoop is lower pressure, so the air is forced in.

Also, facing forward gets hotter air straight off the hood.
Old 08-12-2010, 04:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

i have mine installed the same way..i installed it facing the front the first time and had alot of bugs and leaves trapped in it...took it off and palced it facing the windshield...works good...
Old 08-12-2010, 04:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

I wonder if there are issues when snow comes ...
Old 08-12-2010, 05:18 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Alec
I have the Bushwacker one (same thing) installed the same way. Works much better than facing forward. The lower windshield is an area of high pressure and just inside the scoop is lower pressure, so the air is forced in.

Also, facing forward gets hotter air straight off the hood.
GOOD POINT...

Looks good man...I'm getting one of these!!!
Old 08-12-2010, 06:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Would this help to improve the airflow for improving the efficiency of the AC system? i have been noticing with our 100 + temp days the last few weeks that my ac just doesn't cut it with the soft top letting so much radiant heat through.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:46 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JKCobra
Would this help to improve the airflow for improving the efficiency of the AC system? i have been noticing with our 100 + temp days the last few weeks that my ac just doesn't cut it with the soft top letting so much radiant heat through.
Yes, it helps. Forces more air into the inlet, as well as keeping away some of the engine heat.
Old 08-13-2010, 01:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is an explanation of why facing to windshield:

http://www.camaro-untoldsecrets.com/...es/rpo_zl2.htm
Old 06-09-2013, 11:53 AM
JK Newbie

Default Reasons to face forward

I did a little flying in my younger days and we use to tape short pieces of yarn to the windshield to check for wind slip. I did the same on my JK hood and windshield. The lower third and area on the hood in front of the vent is a dead air zone even at 70 MPH. So based on this I decided to mount it facing forward for these reasons. If you look close the driver windshield wiper sits right above and close to the opening of the vent when facing backwards and seems to block some airflow. In the winter and in a heavy rain downpour the snow and water is actually trapped between the windshield and the vent opening when facing backwards. Gets trapped in a valley between the windshield and vent opening. This is especially true when you try to clear your windshield after a snow fall parked outside. Much easier to clear the snow facing forward. And this was the main reason I installed it living in MN.
It is easier to clear out debris like leaves bugs etc. facing froward. Almost impossible to reach inside or see in when facing the windshield. I would also think that if you are getting bugs etc in there then it is working. Bugs follow the airflow. And last it looks better facing forward. So my guess is there is little difference in airflow either directions but the benefits of facing forward convinced me to install it forward. I do love the fact that it keeps the snow/seeds/leaves out of the vent openings.

Quick Reply: Rugged Ridge hood vent scoop installed