Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Rugged Ridge half doors Review BIG PIC'S and Video review

Old 04-20-2012, 05:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a set of the doors with uppers about a month ago, I had them on for three days and took them off. I'm still on the fence about them. They are ok for me but they are not wife or kid friendly. My wife dislocated the knuckle on her index finger trying to open the door from the inside, she is definitely on the other side of the fence about them! I might get rid of them and save up for the factory doors. I know they are about 2 times as much but like they say, if momma ain't happy, no one is happy!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3928275411.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	307139   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2876010155.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	307140   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2343086443.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	307141  
Old 04-20-2012, 05:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Same issue here, my wife can't open drivers door from the inside.
Old 04-20-2012, 06:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

It's a a shame they don't work better because they are a terrific alternative to factory doors and I'm getting too old to Bo and Luke Duke it. How are yours sealing up with the soft top? I've haven't tried mine with the soft top yet. They were ok with the hard top around town but my daily 80 mile commute to work and back on the interstate at 70 mph was bit much, I kept thinking they were just going to get sucked out and fly off!
Old 04-21-2012, 04:18 AM
JK Super Freak

The wife hasn't tried to open the doors yet.. I am sure she isn't going to be happy with the inside latch...but, for the amount of time she is in the rig...

I find the uppers fine even at speed as long as you tweak them inward. I've had them on for a few months, with the hard top and Trektop Nx and the fit is the same for either. I just put the full doors back on as I consider whether or not to paint them body color and now can see the fit compared to the full doors and with how I have them adjusted and tweaked the fit is about the same...
Old 04-28-2012, 07:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have come to the conclusion that these doors suck. I thought I had the uppers adjust perfectly. It rained last night and there where buckets of water in the Jeep. So bad I had to pull the drain plugs, it was like I didn't even have the doors on. Not to mention no amount of tweaking allows me to be able to open the drivers door from the inside. I attached a strap to the handle to allow for more leverage and that barely works for me. My wife on the other hand can't open it all.

Edit: Had my wife spray the jeep with the hose while I sat in it. Mind you this was a light spray to simulate rain. It seemed like to uppers where actually channeling run off from the roof right onto the floor. I am extremely frustrated with this product.

Last edited by nachostheclown; 04-28-2012 at 07:55 AM.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:41 AM
JK Super Freak

I am fine with the inside handles. It certainly harder than the full door but not a show stopper. When the uppers are off, I reach to the outside handle.

When the uppers are on, I notice water runs along the bottom edge seam where the window attaches to the canvas surround, and then runs down the metal indexing pins. Most of the water then drains into the door cavity and out the drain holes on the bottom of the door. Some does drip down the inside door skin but for the most part, it deposits in the door pocket. Only a small amount makes it to the floor.

I did spend a good amount of time tweaking the uppers though.

All in all, considering how much worse the Bestop Soft doors were and that my cost was controlled (traded Bestop softies and cash) I am pretty happy with them. Even after I factor in cost for painting them I'll be less than the cost of a new full set.
Old 04-28-2012, 01:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

It's to the point now that I cant even get the front passenger door to close. I'm glad your having luck with your set, but right now I feel like I wasted 2 grand. I did notice the latches are mounted differently from the front set to the back set. The back set has the hook that engages the striker pointed up and the front doors the hook is pointed down. The latches are identical as are the striker plates so I don't know why they would be different. The back set are perfect, so I'm wonder if the front set was put together wrong.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by nachostheclown
It's to the point now that I cant even get the front passenger door to close. I'm glad your having luck with your set, but right now I feel like I wasted 2 grand. I did notice the latches are mounted differently from the front set to the back set. The back set has the hook that engages the striker pointed up and the front doors the hook is pointed down. The latches are identical as are the striker plates so I don't know why they would be different. The back set are perfect, so I'm wonder if the front set was put together wrong.
Can you post a picture of what you are describing?

I don't have rears, but I can compare to my fronts.

With the uppers on I do have to close the doors firmly, but not that big of a deal. Much like closing the full doors with the hard top on and windows closed...you have to firm. With the uppers off, mine close like th ones in the OP. you can basically just swing them shut.
Old 04-29-2012, 04:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'll grab some pics tomorrow.
Old 06-04-2012, 03:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ok time for update. Let me start off by saying that Rugged Ridge has had nothing but the best customer service on these doors. I ended up taking off the seals on the front doors and they closed and opened properly they actually didn't even leak. I ended up contacting RR anyway and they sent out another set of doors with a Fedex tag to send back the old ones. Apparently my first of doors was welded improperly which twisted them in at the bottom and out at the top. With the second set the passenger was perfect but the drivers side was still twisted. I contacted RR again and they went into their shop and went through 3 sets of doors before they found one non twisted door. They even went as far as fitting the door on their Mango Tango and sending me pictures of it. Got the good door today along with a little extra. Very very happy with RR's customer service and also very happy with the doors now that they fit and work properly. I will say that having to go through 5 sets of doors to find one good drivers door does make one wonder about their production process.

Quick Reply: Rugged Ridge half doors Review BIG PIC'S and Video review