Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Rubi Transfer Case Explosion

Old 01-09-2010, 11:02 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Another thing to consider:

When one replaces the front drive shaft with a shaft that has a double cardan joint at the t-case, the front axle must be rotated to get the front single joint as straight as possible. Trying to maintain caster may prevent that.
Having an angle on the front joint pretty much negates the benefit of the double cardan at the t-case. They are not perfect constant velocity joints. They have their own dynamic issues, and are a source of vibration, too.
That's one of the most sensible posts I've seen on this.
Old 01-09-2010, 02:20 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank god for my hubs!!!! Sorry to hear about the issue.. Sent you a PM
Old 01-09-2010, 04:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Suffolk JK
Lower gears causes the driveline to spin faster. If you have an unbalanced driveshaft, with all the RPMs the new gears are turning the driveshaft, THAT can happen.
Not necessarily. Tires and gears offset each other, so the rpms would be similar, depending on which gears and which tires.

Something else happened here as there are a lot of folks running 35's and 37's and gears at hi-speeds, and there have been VERY few problems.

He may have had a bad bearing, or the case cracked shortly before and leaked out the fluid unbeknown to him, and the bearings ran dry and exploded.

Keep us informed please.

Last edited by Slippery; 01-09-2010 at 04:09 PM.
Old 01-09-2010, 04:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm running almost the same rpm's now as I was with stock gears. You have to realize if you regear with larger tires it's not necessarily going to give you higher rpm's, because the larger tires offset it. So that's out of the question.

I did some digging and found out the bearings on the front output were seized up. There seems to be a problem with getting fluid to the front bearings. Sooooo it looks like an atlas 2 might be going in
Old 01-09-2010, 04:58 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by RokinRubi
I'm running almost the same rpm's now as I was with stock gears. You have to realize if you regear with larger tires it's not necessarily going to give you higher rpm's, because the larger tires offset it. So that's out of the question.

I did some digging and found out the bearings on the front output were seized up. There seems to be a problem with getting fluid to the front bearings. Sooooo it looks like an atlas 2 might be going in
Yes, lack of lubrication is definitely a possibility. The curious thing is the failed t-cases were on JKs that were set up nearly the same way. I haven't heard of any t-case explosions on stock setups even though people drive them at 90 mph and above.

I'm not saying it's the cause, but vibration can seize a bearing as much as lack of lube.
Old 01-09-2010, 06:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think alot of it may be the caster. What was your caster set at? I know it was recommended to me that I run about +6.0 to +7.0 deg of caster. Mine is at +6.2 because with my Teraflex upper longarms as short as they will get, that's where my caster is at until I lengthen the lowers. The issue I thgink is that with the caster set that high, it makes it much more difficult to properly set the pinion angle on these non-cv joint aftermarket driveshafts that have the u joints or double cardan joints on them. The u-joints are much more succeptible to vibes, weather you can feel it or not, when the pinion angle isnt near perfect. A cv driveshaft is more forgiving in that area, and wont have the vibes at higher angles like the non cv ujoint shafts. On my buddies JK the highest we could really get the caster while having the proper pinion angle for his tom woods shaft was about +4.5deg.
Old 01-14-2010, 01:15 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by highoctane
I think alot of it may be the caster. What was your caster set at? I know it was recommended to me that I run about +6.0 to +7.0 deg of caster. Mine is at +6.2 because with my Teraflex upper longarms as short as they will get, that's where my caster is at until I lengthen the lowers. The issue I thgink is that with the caster set that high, it makes it much more difficult to properly set the pinion angle on these non-cv joint aftermarket driveshafts that have the u joints or double cardan joints on them. The u-joints are much more succeptible to vibes, weather you can feel it or not, when the pinion angle isnt near perfect. A cv driveshaft is more forgiving in that area, and wont have the vibes at higher angles like the non cv ujoint shafts. On my buddies JK the highest we could really get the caster while having the proper pinion angle for his tom woods shaft was about +4.5deg.
That seems kinda of high. I'm running about 3.0 with my 4".
Old 01-14-2010, 02:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by TeraFlex
That seems kinda of high. I'm running about 3.0 with my 4".
I just went off the write up I saw and recommendations on here of caster settings with my lift and 35" tires to be -6 to -7 deg. It was in the 3 deg range and handled bad on the highway, real light, flighty feeling ion the steering. Set in to -6.2 deg and its gone. Rides great and steers like it did before.

Quick Reply: Rubi Transfer Case Explosion