Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Rubi Transfer Case Explosion

Old 01-08-2010, 06:43 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RokinRubi
so does this mean all lifted jeeps are gonna have this happen to them?
And if it does is it covered under the "lifetime" powertrain warranty? Anyone know?
Old 01-08-2010, 06:48 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

so does this mean all lifted jeeps are gonna have this happen to them?
No. not at all.

But several JK's on this and other forums have had the exact same ingredients. They seem to fail in the same way.

Either the front of the t-case isn't getting enough oil for the higher rpm's, or the steeper front drive shaft angle is causing the after market u-joint to vibrate, even if you don't notice it. When it hits a critical harmonic, it can all of a sudden vibrate very badly, then explode.

Last edited by ronjenx; 01-08-2010 at 06:52 PM.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:55 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

37s, tom woods, rear d60, 5.13s and no vibrations or leaks. started vibrating 30seconds before exploding. i had been driving for 320 miles then this happened.

fluid was properly changed with no leaks.

i am no dumbass i know how to work on my shit.
Hey man, nobody is calling you a dumb ass. We simply wanted a bit more info to help figure out what happened.

One of the issues with going with lower axles gears is higher drive shaft speeds, as well as faster internal rotation speeds for the t-case and transmission.

One thing that comes to mind is either the t-case started to heat up from the long driving time which caused a bearing to seize, or there is a design issue where something isn't getting lubricated properly at higher speeds. As this has happened to a few people now on this forum.

How are the bearings on the front output? Do they still feel tight, any heat discoloration?
Old 01-08-2010, 07:08 PM
JK Freak

It sucks when things like this happen. Hopefully you will get it fixed soon and be back on the road.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

That sucks. Warranty claim?
Old 01-09-2010, 04:23 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ouch! please keep us posted about warranty coverage.
Old 01-09-2010, 07:52 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by WhiteDuke
I don't see how larger tires or lower gears could cause a transfer case to explode like that. I have only own lifted vehicles (Dodge 2500, K5 Blazer, Etc.) With well over 100,000 miles on them and have never run into a problem like that. I also have a REALLY heavy foot.
Lower gears causes the driveline to spin faster. If you have an unbalanced driveshaft, with all the RPMs the new gears are turning the driveshaft, THAT can happen.
Old 01-09-2010, 07:55 AM
JK Junkie

This has been happening lately on quite a few TeraLow 4:1 kits on the older Jeeps. Excessive speeds with the a higher gear ratio have been grenading these units. I don't think transfer cases like taller gears and higher RPMs, what it looks like.

Don't understand why the JK has been failing in many parts of the spectrum.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:17 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Another thing to consider:

When one replaces the front drive shaft with a shaft that has a double cardan joint at the t-case, the front axle must be rotated to get the front single joint as straight as possible. Trying to maintain caster may prevent that.
Having an angle on the front joint pretty much negates the benefit of the double cardan at the t-case. They are not perfect constant velocity joints. They have their own dynamic issues, and are a source of vibration, too.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:31 AM
JK Freak

Thats it!! I'm baggin my Jeep and lowering it 4" instead!!

Quick Reply: Rubi Transfer Case Explosion