Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Rubi Rails Question

Old 03-23-2010, 11:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubi Rails Question

I just cant seem to toss these away. But i dont want to weld them to the frame. I d rather have the option to take them off. What if i welded a tube to the rubi rail (slider tube) and then made mounts to mount them to the frame but instead use a bushing like A control arm bushing type deal and bracket to mount it to the frame. So it would still be body mounted but also mounted to the frame but would flex on the 2 bushings. I hope im making sense. Im afraid if i straight weld them to the frame they will bend with alot of weight put on them. But if i can leave them body mounted and reinforce them to the frame with a couple bushings wouldnt that work to?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	idea.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	3.7 KB
ID:	39258  

Last edited by rubican!; 03-23-2010 at 11:21 AM.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:24 PM
JK Super Freak

i welded tube and plate on to them for steps and haven't had any issues with having them body mounted....had the full weight of the jeep on them and everything, they are pretty strong.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:59 PM
JK Jedi Master

It's usually not a good idea to mount sliders to the body and frame both, because they shift and flex at different ways and will cause damage to something.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah i was jsut trying to figure out a creative way to beef up the rubi rails without having to weld them to the frame. I guess you could add more body mounts like the PSC rocker knockers.Maybe that with a small slider welded to it. Hmm......

Any ideas?
Old 03-23-2010, 04:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Why do they need to be welded or need more frame mounts? Are they not strong enough as-is?

As 07Rubi2dr (and plenty of others, IIRC) said, they're plenty strong.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:26 PM
JK Jedi Master

watch putting to a tube to far out on the rocker, My rubicon rails started pulling the tub down at the mounting points
Old 03-23-2010, 06:05 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rubican!
I just cant seem to toss these away. But i dont want to weld them to the frame. I d rather have the option to take them off. What if i welded a tube to the rubi rail (slider tube) and then made mounts to mount them to the frame but instead use a bushing like A control arm bushing type deal and bracket to mount it to the frame. So it would still be body mounted but also mounted to the frame but would flex on the 2 bushings. I hope im making sense. Im afraid if i straight weld them to the frame they will bend with alot of weight put on them. But if i can leave them body mounted and reinforce them to the frame with a couple bushings wouldnt that work to?
Seems that would be the same as just having body mounted, wouldn't really serve a purpose. Either choosing one or the other- body only/frame only is your best bet I would think.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

yeah. I guess inthe long run its probably better to just get some rails. Im talking about doing some serious stuff. All well.

Quick Reply: Rubi Rails Question