Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Rough Country Dual Steering Stabilizer - Woah....

Old 01-15-2009, 04:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough Country Dual Steering Stabilizer - Woah....

I finally got my RCX Dual Steering Stabilizer today and got it installed. I was supposed to get it for Christmas but UPS said it was delivered, but it never came. Rough Country was great and just sent me a new one. Good customer service

Anyway I did the install today after I got home from work. It took about 1 1/2 hours and was a pretty easy install. Here's some pics:

Front:

Front Closeup:

Passenger Side:

Driver Side:

Center:

This is a comparison shot of my old "Heavy Duty" steering stabilizer from Skyjacker.

I am very pleased with this kit for a number of reasons:
  • First and most importantly, I no longer get the really bad bump steer that I did before on the crappy roads down here.
  • Secondly and just as important, my steering no longer feels like a bowl of sloppy jello.
  • And third, it looks cool.

If anyone out there is looking for a way to solve bump steer, or tighten your steering up I would recommend this kit. I know a lot of people on here say that you don't even need to run a steering stabilizer, but for those of you out there with Jeeps that have less than acceptable steering and bump steer issues and are tired of having white knuckles from grabbing the steering wheel while driving this is for you.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:38 PM
JK Freak

i got mine just before xmas, i have to agree.... it really has resolved the bump steer i was experiencing. as for tightening the steering up, i havent noticed, but my tires are wicked out of balance and no one around here wants to balance them for me.

my only concern is the mounting hardware on the tie rods. the u-bolts are mounted so the bolt ends and the nuts are facing forward. looks like something to catch on a rock or stump or something when wheeling.

if Rough Country rep reads this, any ideas?
Old 01-15-2009, 04:59 PM
JK Super Freak

On the road, too-wide tires will throw a vehicle around and cause premature wear to the steering components. There are few situations that I know of, if any, where too-wide tires on-road provide anything more than looks. I had 33-12.50s on my CJ7 for a while. Bad or grooved roads were most definitely white knuckle time, but dang those tires (and Cragar steelies) looked good.

Off-road, those same width tires could be essential, depending on the terrain.

Steering stabilizers help to buffer the effects of too-wide tires on-road. (at least to the steering wheel - the premature wear on the wheel bearings and tie rod ends may possibly increase)
Old 01-15-2009, 05:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by paramaniac
i got mine just before xmas, i have to agree.... it really has resolved the bump steer i was experiencing. as for tightening the steering up, i havent noticed, but my tires are wicked out of balance and no one around here wants to balance them for me.

my only concern is the mounting hardware on the tie rods. the u-bolts are mounted so the bolt ends and the nuts are facing forward. looks like something to catch on a rock or stump or something when wheeling.

if Rough Country rep reads this, any ideas?
I don't know if you have any Discount Tire stores near you, but if you do and you need your tires balanced I suggest you give them a shot. I got a lifetime rotation and balance on my Jeep for $130 bucks and I've since had them balance my 5 35x12.50X17 MTs five times. Well worth it.

As for the mounting hardware that thought crossed my mind. But at least in my application they aren't sticking out very far passed the nut and they certainly don't stick out as far as the tie rod bolt.

Originally Posted by sixt7gt350
Steering stabilizers help to buffer the effects of too-wide tires on-road. (at least to the steering wheel - the premature wear on the wheel bearings and tie rod ends may possibly increase)
Interesting. Since I bought my Jeep with the tires installed on it and under warranty I guess they can deal with that when the time comes
Old 01-15-2009, 06:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First, sorry for this question coming as I come from a world of TJ's. But from what I've seen if Dual SS's on a TJ did have the potential to cook the steering fluid as it would cause lots of unnecessary stress on the sterring pump. Even if you had 37's it was still not justified. Is this not true for JK's? I'd like to hear from guys running 37's.
If I think about it I have never seen WOL running with a Dual SS either.

Please note I'm not trying to bust your bubble. Just curious before I go and lift my Jeep.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:33 PM
JK Freak

Glad to hear it. I talked one of my friends into getting when it was on sale, he should be happy to hear this.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Anyone have the dual stabilizer with a Riddler cover? Looks like it might hit.
Old 01-16-2009, 04:31 AM
JK Freak

I just got and installed my RC duel kit yesterday also. I have to say that it really did tighten up the steering. Im still running stock tires at the moment (rims are on backorder) but I do feel a differance in the way it handles.

Easy to install
Old 01-16-2009, 07:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 4WHLN
I just got and installed my RC duel kit yesterday also. I have to say that it really did tighten up the steering. Im still running stock tires at the moment (rims are on backorder) but I do feel a differance in the way it handles.
Easy to install
Do you (or anyone) have an armored diff cover?
Old 01-16-2009, 08:41 AM
JK Junkie

Thanks for posting the pics and info I will be getting mine asap

Quick Reply: Rough Country Dual Steering Stabilizer - Woah....