Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Rough Country 3.25" Lift Thoughts...

Old 02-08-2010, 07:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ECHO
Nice.. did you end up leaving the back ones off to take care of the rake??
I decided to put them on. I put the coils in with the spacers and lowered it to ground to check it before I put shocks, sway links, etc.. back on and it looked good with the spacer. There is very little if any rake even with the rear spacer thrown in.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:54 AM
JK Super Freak

I think i got about 3 inches up front and 2.25 inches in the rear.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Sounds just about right with the Bumper/Winch up front.. thats awesome! bet you ready to get it off road tested!!
My club has a snow run on February 20th so I will be testing it out soon
Old 02-08-2010, 08:58 AM
JK Super Freak

Ok, now I am getting annoyed. Before I remembered about the live help, I emailed my questions and rep told me that I should have put the isolator back in. So I called RC and was told that I should put them back in because if I dont I wont get as much lift. I asked if it a safety issue if I leave them out and the guy said no, that it is ok to leave them out. I told him the instructions didnt specify to put them back in and he said he would look into that. Back to square one!!!!

I think I am just going to leave them out. It rides good and I got enough lift. To heckwith it.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:59 AM
JK Super Freak

May be someone else should call and see what the next person says.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:10 AM
JK Super Freak

This my thoughts on it.. for what it's worth..

The two reasons I thought they should go in is

1. as you stated Lift you paid for it you might as well get it..

2. It's nice to have the softer rubber at the top of the puck & spring -vs- hard plastic or metal .. less chance for noise,damage or maybe failure.

I would take the hour or so and slide them back on
I hate to pull it all apart, it took about an hour to get the steering wheel straight. I still wonder if the 2nd guy was wrong and the first guy was right., that they are not needed. I wish I new for sure.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:30 AM
JK Super Freak

I don't know I just asked the same questions: was told told the 3/4 puck up front replaces the isolator

Here's why is don't make sense to me, I may be WAY off , check my logic

I had a RC 2.5 BB (puck lift) had to put on the Puck then replace the isolator between the spring & puck - as per the instructions

The 2.5 Coil lift as per the instructions says replace the isolator after swapping springs

3.25 kit is a new spring and 3/4 Puck .. it makes sence to re-install the rubber isolator between the puck and spring... the same principle as the BB lift.. (Puck - Isolator - Spring) No Metal to Metal or Plastic to Metal.. whichever the 3/4 is made of .. I know the 2.5 is metal

Again, I would Recontact RC and speak with BEN only.. and ask him because of the conflicting stories.. I would hate to see you do damage to to your new lift.. let us know

Did you call?
Old 02-08-2010, 12:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Olean NY Jeeper
I got a def answer from RC on this through live chat:

[Jimmie] Hello, how may I help you?
[Visitor] I have a question. I installed the JK 3.25 kit this weekend and the directions state that that I need to remove the factory isolator and coil and replace with new coil and spacer. It doesnt state that factory isolator needs to be reinstalled so i didnt. did i do this right?
[Jimmie] .
[Jimmie] that is right
[Visitor] so I did it correct by leaving isolators off correct
[Jimmie] yes
[Visitor] thanks, that is a huge releif
[Jimmie] \No problem, have a great day!
[Visitor] you to

Here is another conversation I had with a different Rep on live chat:

[Jason] Hello, how may I help you?
[Visitor] I think i got bumped a minute ago, here is my question again:
[Visitor] I recently purchased a 3.25 JK lift from you and installed it last week. The directions indicate that you take out the old coil and factory spring isolator and install the new coil and spacer without installing the factory spring isolator. This is how I did it. I installed the New Coil, new spacer but I did NOT re-install the factory rubber spring isolator. I am a member of JK forum and there has been a lot of conflicting information given out by rough country representative via phone and email on whether the factory spring isolators are discarded or installed. Some reps have indicated that you use the factory isolator; others have stated you do not use it. Which is it? Do you use the factory spring isolator or not when installing the 3.25 JK lift. I appreciate your time and help but I would like to clear this up.
[Visitor] Are you still there Jason?
[Visitor] ?
[Visitor] is this too complicated a question to ask on live support chat?
[Jason] leave it in
[Jason] sorry you are not the only cus
[Visitor] I undertand, how come the directions tell you to take it out and not put it back in?
[Jason] it does not tell you to not put it back in I think it just forgets to tell you to
[Visitor] Are there any safety concerns with driving withuot them for a while
[Jason] not at all they are really for noise reduction
[Visitor] If I dont care about noise, can I just leave them out
[Visitor] I just dont want to brake anyting
[Visitor] break that is
[Jason] no worries on breaking

More conflicting info. I private mssged Ben with a link to this thread. I am hoping he chimes in and gives us the real scoop here. not only do the directions not say anything about reinstalling these, they include pictures showing the coil being installed only with the spacer, no spring isolator to be seen.

Last edited by Olean NY Jeeper; 02-08-2010 at 12:25 PM.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:22 PM
JK Super Freak

I am interested in the outcome.. just, because I know we will see this question again
If the directions are wrong, I am going to be highly annoyed. I dont want spend another day messing with this. I also do not have a garage to work in and it is COLD. I went to a friends house to put it on but he lives two hours away.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Assuming I have to put these back in, for the rear Do I just need to pull the bottom bolts on the swaybar links and lower shock bolts, or do I need to take the track bar off again as well? If it is just the links and bottom bolts on the shocks that shouldnt be too bad. I am worried about front though because I had help centering the steering wheel. Everything else I feel confident doing myself but I dont know if I can center the steering wheel myself.

Quick Reply: Rough Country 3.25" Lift Thoughts...