Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Roof rack system for Jeep Wrangler w/hardtop

Old 09-30-2009, 11:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by eisenjj
I would have to agree. However I would also be surprised if the rain gutters were not reinforced some how over the rest of the top itself.
I've seen several Jeeps on here with towers attached to the rain gutters with no problems according to them. They were all attached to the rear freedom top panel, though. Garvin also has a rack that attaches to the hardtop rain gutters so I'm sure they've tested it.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah...I would not want to drill either!

BTW, you are correct that the Kargo Master is a "no-drill" install but the Garvin Wilderness Expedition rack does require one to drill the body at it's rear attachment. Just thought you should know that. I was about to pull the trigger on that one until I found that out.
You're right about the Garvin. I noticed in a picture where they had an aftermarket rear bumper, you could see more clearly.

I actually recently spoke to a Wild Boar rep and he said they originally had their's mounted at the bumper but it wasn't as strong because the leg was longer (that's probably why the CongoCage is so thick). That area on the Jeep where you have to drill is one of the stronger areas on the body. He also made a good point that the Jeep has so many exposed bolts on the body that two more wouldn't look bad if the rack was ever removed. He made me feel better about it.

I think I like the Wild Boar rack best because you can get it without the basket (I think in the $400 range, which makes it comparible to the CongoCage). You can raise and lower the soft top without moving the rack at all. I would probably just add some quick release Yakima towers and bars for my purposes. Point is I would still be able to easily use my soft top. Also, he said they are coming out with a half basket in January where if you had it attached, the area over the driver would be open so you could still feel like your in a Jeep.
Old 09-30-2009, 12:49 PM
JK Freak

What's the big deal about drilling holes into the body? I've done it 20 to 30 times so you guys have me worrried...

Sorry for the hijack.
Old 09-30-2009, 06:37 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

It don't bother me with having more bolts showing at all. I just worry about the integrity of the panel being drilled whether it be damage to the panel itself from be over loaded or rust developing at the site. The sheet metal on these things is crap and they are known for rust problems. If I were to drill for a rack I would definitely add AEV corner guards!
Anyone remember the old International Scouts?
That sheetmetal was so bad, it would rust from within the metal itself. International was giving free body panels to owners.

Quick Reply: Roof rack system for Jeep Wrangler w/hardtop