Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Rock Krawler 3.5" X-Factor Plus...and eventually long term test

Old 09-25-2009, 08:57 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rock Krawler 3.5" X-Factor Plus...and eventually long term test

Hello all,

I recently installed the RK 3.5" X-Factor Plus kit and want to pass on the info. If you aren't familiar with Rock Krawler's products, I can tell you they are on the beefy side! They use solid control arms instead of hollow tubes. I guess they would also make a great weapon prior to installation! Not that I would know!

Troy (iadventure) and I did the install and of course we were so excited, we forgot to take pics until one end was almost done...but we did take pics of the parts installed...

How many of y'all can relate to this view?

This shot gives you a look at the rear track bar bracket. The 3.5 kit does not include a front track bar bracket, just a rear. The sway bar mount is removed because it is relocated back an inch to align it with the axle which is also moved back an inch by the longer control arms...(not sure how long the driveshaft is going to last now..but that's why there is an aftermarket)...

This kit includes new brake lines and here is the bracket to attach it to the frame...

One of the things that sets this lift apart is the 3 link rearend. This shows the massive truss which gets welded to the rear axle (thanks Mel)...also notice the included very stout adjustable rear track bar...

I opted to use Mel's Rock Stars in lieu of RK's shock relocation bracket since I know how I wheel and I will definitely need the skid plates the Rock Stars provide! The Rock Stars also give you more clearance in the back since part of the control arm bracket is cut off.

This pic shows the bracket which gets welded to the frame (thanks again Mel) to mount the other end of the one rear upper control arm...If you ever decide to switch to a long arm kit, the bracket stays and you use different mounting holes.

This shot shows the other side of the truss and the connection of the control arm...

How about a front lower control arm mount? Did I mention that RK give a lifetime "abuse proof" warranty on all of their hard parts...beat that!

Here are a few pics of the included front sway bar discos...

The mounting of the included adjustable front track bar...

A found out a few things....some the hard way. The heavy duty truss tends to interfere with the standard mounting location for Woods' evap relocation kit. One bump after leaving Mel's shop and it was toast...$43 later, I have it mounted farther forward so it won't get hit again. Do NOT overlook the installation of the included front spring hold downs! I did and had the spring pop out on the maiden voyage. It bent the heck out of my Woods steering stabilizer relocation bracket (yes the parts I got from Brett aren't working out so much for me lately...but that's not his fault). We were able to get the spring back in place without too much trouble thanks to the incredible articulation of this system. The shocks you see are the Bilstein 5100s. The rear shocks are for the 0-2" lifts and the fronts are for the 3-5" lift since the rear shocks mounting points are relocated up 2 inches (also the case with Mel's Rock Stars).

Obligatory poser shot:

As you can see...this system does flex!

And a run just isn't complete unless I get on 3 wheels at least once...

Since this picture was taken, I have added the RK Drag Link (the stock one was bent). I have also removed the steering stabilizer and ordered a kit from ORO which mounts it between the frame and the drag link...more to come on that...

Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. I am super stoked with this kit and the amount of lift it gave me (about 5" in the front and about 4" in the back). It sits very level now...and actually went up an inch in the back when I took off the rear bumper and spare carrier. I have no concerns about clearing 37's (once I get a non-dana 30 in the front). The install was very straight forward and they actually give you a 20 PAGE instruction manual (installers of other kits know how unsatisfactory some instructions can be). Chris and Jeremy at Rock Krawler are the best and will take all the time you need to help out any way they can. I am VERY satisfied with my purchase experience!

FTF as time goes on and I get more experience with the kit!

Happy wheeling!
Allan

PS...special thanks to Troy for most all of the included pics....

Last edited by ROKN JK; 09-29-2009 at 01:40 PM.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:58 AM
JK Freak

Default RK X-Factor 3.5" lift....oh YEAH!!!

Hey Y'all...check out the write up on my new lift...

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102738 - NOT!

Just so you know..this thread has been moved twice and its current resting spot is:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...=102738&page=4

Last edited by ROKN JK; 10-02-2009 at 01:14 PM.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:11 AM
JK Freak

Looks great and that's some nice flex

Do you have your stock gears?
Old 09-25-2009, 09:15 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by aB²
Looks great and that's some nice flex

Do you have your stock gears?
Thanks, and yup...sportin' those awesome 3.73s for now....
Old 09-25-2009, 09:47 AM
JK Jedi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Damn Allan that kit looks awesome...I like the axle truss and the flex you're getting...we are starting to look a different options cuz we want to go with 37" next year so we'll definitely look at Rock Krawler as an option...besides the name is fitting!
Old 09-25-2009, 09:50 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by sm_rubi
Damn Allan that kit looks awesome...I like the axle truss and the flex you're getting...we are starting to look a different options cuz we want to go with 37" next year so we'll definitely look at Rock Krawler as an option...besides the name is fitting!
Sounds good buddy... I will be keeping everybody posted as I do more "testing"
Old 09-25-2009, 10:03 AM
JK Jedi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 08redJKnCA
Sounds good buddy... I will be keeping everybody posted as I do more "testing"
Cool!

Did you do your flex testing up at the SM Hills (actually Merriam Mountain)? If so, check out this need to know thread:
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/socal-45/another-tear-down-paradise-put-up-parking-lot-story-sm-hills-102513/

Old 09-25-2009, 10:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Holy Guacamole!! That rig is gonna be the Red Ball Express on any future trails. We may have to handicap you and have you drag a used tire behind it to slow you down. Seriously sicko, Allen. Congrats.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:55 AM
JK Junkie

man!!!! that is nice congrats
Old 09-25-2009, 12:09 PM
JK Freak

Thanks guys...it is good to be seriously sicko! Not sure about the dragging a spare tire though!

Quick Reply: Rock Krawler 3.5" X-Factor Plus...and eventually long term test