Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

On the Road with JK Forums Photo Contest

Old 07-27-2021, 02:56 PM
IB Staff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default On the Road with JK Forums Photo Contest

As we celebrate the last true month of summer, we want to see where YOU are going (or where you've been). Share a photo of you and your Jeep "On the Road" in this thread, or on social with the tag #ontheroadwithJKForums. At the end of each week, from now until August 27th, we will choose a favorite. Starting the week of August 30 (right before Labor Day), we will put all those photos up for a vote for a chance to win a $50 gas card to hit the road again for Labor Day (even if hitting the road means running down the street to stock on on charcoal and beer for a cookout!)

So, share your ride and your photo skills!
Attached Files
Old 07-28-2021, 07:45 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,701 Posts

I’m sure I’m exempt, but I’ll kick things off anyhow and hopefully others will follow.

I just completed a two-week, 3k+ mile trip from Texas to Moab and then looping back through Colorado to camp at Lake Irwin just outside of Crested Butte, then up to Halfmoon Gulch right outside Leadville, and then down to Ouray. Moab was hot as hell as to be expected in the summer, but temps in Colorado were perfect for camping. I towed my little trailer the whole way and ate up plenty of fuel in the process. This was more of a mild wheelin trip with the spousal unit and our youngest kiddo but here are a few highlights:

Quick shot in Lubbock, TX as we stopped for lunch at the local prairie dog town. My wife went to college at Texas Tech and never knew there was a prairie dog town there!

In Moab we spent a good bit of time in Arches NP catching the sunrise from Delicate Arch and then returning a different morning for Landscape Arch, Tunnel Arch, Pine Tree Arch, Skyline and Sandstone arches and Balanced Rock. We headed south to Canyonlands Needles district to run Elephant Hill and see the confluence of the Green and Colorado rivers. We saw Gemini Bridges and swung through Canyonlands Island in the Sky to see Mesa Arch and run Shafer switchbacks.

Crested Butte was pretty and Lake Irwin was busy! Apparently everyone from town daytrips up to the lake. I was happy to not only snag a campsite (everything first come first serve) but to actually have one of the better ones in the whole campground. We spent time in town and also did the Paradise Divide loop which had some beautiful scenery. We departed via Cottonwood Pass over to Buena Vista, CO and then north up towards Leadville.

(Lake Irwin Campground off Kebler Pass, site #29, west of Crested Butte)

Halfmoon was a bit disappointing vs our visit a year ago. They had the road closed just past the first couple campgrounds so you couldn’t go up to the top of the mountain nor see Champion Mill (unless you were into mountain biking). I was happy to get a nice campsite right along Elbert Creek though. Fishing in Emerald Lake was not near as fruitful as last year but at least my son caught a couple small rainbow trout. I hardly even got a bite and struck out completely!

We rolled into Ouray and were greeted by rain. I thought our luck had run out on finding camping spots, but nope, I got one in Thistledown campground that backed right up to Canyon Creek. We managed the not ideal weather to see Box Canyon Falls, Cascade Falls, Yankee Boy Basin, Governor Basin and Sidney Basin. We got a nice clear day which we took advantage of to run Black Bear and Imogene before heading home the next day.

(Thistledown Campgorund, site #3 beside Canyon Creek)

(Sign on Black Bear isn't as good for pictures since the letters aren't see-through and the background is dark)

Anyhow, that’s more rambling and pictures than anyone cares to hear/see. Hopefully everyone else is getting out and about this summer as well and will share some adventures.

***a side note. On way out of Questa, NM my wife commented how cool it would be to see big horn sheep. I said “fat chance, you’d pretty much have to wish to see one cross the road right in front of us." Well, we crossed the Rio Grande Gorge bridge and were greeted with this –

She also commented about how cool it would be to see a mountain goat. Well, on the way out of Ouray heading home, right alongside the road on Million Dollar Highway, there was a damn mountain goat munching away and unphased by the cars passing by just feet away. SMH. No place to stop and get a picture of that one. I only failed to deliver a bear to her!

Last edited by resharp001; 07-28-2021 at 10:38 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by resharp001:
Cimmerian (08-03-2021), Mark Doiron (07-30-2021), MRKerr (09-14-2021), user 729872082 (08-17-2021)
Old 07-28-2021, 06:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Family and friends loaded up in my new Wagoneer and made a trip to the tip of the Keweenaw Peninsula in Upper Michigan. We made it out to High Rock Bay on the eastern most tip! Had a good time doing it with 7 people in comfort!
The following users liked this post:
user 729872082 (08-17-2021)
Old 07-29-2021, 07:23 AM
JK Enthusiast
FJOTM Winner

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

In CO wife the wife's Jeep

The following 2 users liked this post by BlueBaby:
Mark Doiron (07-30-2021), user 729872082 (08-17-2021)
Old 07-30-2021, 01:07 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 270 Posts

Well, you folks will have to put up with a non-Jeep product here, because I really like this shot of my friend Tad's GMC overland build and my Wrangler. Shot last week on the Colorado Backcountry Discovery Route by my friend Travis, a park ranger at Canyonlands, who was driving a Gladiator. I guess I should also mention Kitt's Tacoma that was with us.

One of several well-known passes we'd cross--until rock slides from flooding rains closed down things at Cinnamon Pass ...

The following users liked this post:
user 729872082 (08-17-2021)
Old 08-10-2021, 05:09 PM
JK Newbie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

2,713 miles. How far was your one way?

Old 08-17-2021, 07:28 AM
JK Newbie

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Our trip to Colorado 2 weeks ago.

Heading out.

My beautiful wife of 34 years with wind blown hair. She hated this picture but I liked it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Locky:
Mark Doiron (09-01-2021), user 729872082 (08-17-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 10:20 AM
IB Staff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to all who entered!

We're now in the phase of picking a winner based on YOUR vote. Simply click the "Like" button on your favorite post to cast your vote. The poster with the most Likes at the end of the week will win the $50 gas card!

Quick Reply: On the Road with JK Forums Photo Contest