Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

RIPP SuperCharger Gen2 Real World Results

Old 01-05-2011, 07:21 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HerJK-X
What are you averaging now with the SC?
I am averaging a whopping 11.9 that is city & some highway back & forth across town. 35" tires inflated to 35 psi & 5.13 gears. That is not hotrodding just normal driving. Granted I have a lot more power but under the same driving conditions as before the s/c i get considerably less mpg. While the overall kit is a quality piece Ripp has been nice enough to ignore my e mails (or come up with a solution) about the poor mpg & computer issue so I seem stuck with paying thousands for something that is not correct & I wish I never bought!
Old 01-05-2011, 09:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RIPPMODS
OOOOOOOooohh - yea

RIPPTECH
Do you do LAYAWAY?
Old 01-05-2011, 11:09 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by outside316
I am averaging a whopping 11.9 that is city & some highway back & forth across town. 35" tires inflated to 35 psi & 5.13 gears. That is not hotrodding just normal driving. Granted I have a lot more power but under the same driving conditions as before the s/c i get considerably less mpg. While the overall kit is a quality piece Ripp has been nice enough to ignore my e mails (or come up with a solution) about the poor mpg & computer issue so I seem stuck with paying thousands for something that is not correct & I wish I never bought!
11 seems way off the scales, its interesting that this JK would have much lower MPG than most and it should not be held as an example. The more consitant has been fuel gains. This must be isolated to the truck/driver rather the parts - We've brought this up to our Calibrator but he did not have a direct answer as to why one truck in so many is acting so different.

Is you tail pipe black?

Is it possible:
  • You have a cracked spark plug or bad spark plug wire
  • Vacuum leak - Check your EGR gasket that's an easy place to get a vacuum leak
  • Weak fuel
  • Did you go into your Diablo and adjust tire size
  • Could you be slipping power through your transmission is your fluid clean
  • Are you leaking boost is your PCV in there tight

FYI - MPG reader correction will be provided directly from Diablo as we (RIPP) have no control over those settings and again seems isolated to the flash...

Thanks again for the input and criticism, it only makes us work harder to help please everyone

Many regards
Management
Old 01-05-2011, 11:38 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by RIPPMODS
11 seems way off the scales, its interesting that this JK would have much lower MPG than most and it should not be held as an example. The more consitant has been fuel gains. This must be isolated to the truck/driver rather the parts - We've brought this up to our Calibrator but he did not have a direct answer as to why one truck in so many is acting so different.

Is you tail pipe black?

Is it possible:
  • You have a cracked spark plug or bad spark plug wire
  • Vacuum leak - Check your EGR gasket that's an easy place to get a vacuum leak
  • Weak fuel
  • Did you go into your Diablo and adjust tire size
  • Could you be slipping power through your transmission is your fluid clean
  • Are you leaking boost is your PCV in there tight

FYI - MPG reader correction will be provided directly from Diablo as we (RIPP) have no control over those settings and again seems isolated to the flash...

Thanks again for the input and criticism, it only makes us work harder to help please everyone

Many regards
Management
Yes I have checked all of these things & frankly several don't need checked as the vehicle only has 37000 miles on it. I am not new to mechanical work & have raced or worked on vehicles for 25 yrs. I can assure you it is not the driver as I stated this is normal driving, I am not hotrodding this thing around as if I do the mileage is worse than I am already getting & that is bad enough. I do find it interesting these problems are blamed on the driver, tire size not calibrated etc when the mph is correct withen 1mph according to my GPS & when I went to set the tire size the Diablo was already set to 35" presumably by your tuner when the system was purchased since you requested tire size, gear, tranny etc at that time. I am not trying to knock your company yet after spending what is now $6600 for the Gen 1 kit & now the upgrade I have something that still doesn't deliver what you advertise nor is the kit 100% correct since my mpg readout is wrong. It stands to reason that you use Diablo tuners so part of this is on you regardless of subcontracting part of the electronics out. I for the most part have enjoyed talking to Ross & he obviously knows what he is doing, however the bottom line is if you were in my shoes & shelled out over 6 grand for what I have would you be happy??
Old 01-05-2011, 01:03 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by skaggs9573
Do you do LAYAWAY?
That was funny. Boy, this aint Kmart.

I got 12-13mpg pre RIPP, now I get 12-13 post RIPP. Only difference is that I buy mid grade gas now. I was hoping that I would pick up a couple mpg but nada. My gauge is off but I dont care, makes me feel better when I see 18mpg on the computer. Im sure there will be a fix for it soon.

All the extra gas money, same gas milage; my cares go right out the window when I push that little skinny petal.

Oh yea, I dont hotdog my RIPP either............ yea right.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:24 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by YingYang
That was funny. Boy, this aint Kmart.

I got 12-13mpg pre RIPP, now I get 12-13 post RIPP. Only difference is that I buy mid grade gas now. I was hoping that I would pick up a couple mpg but nada. My gauge is off but I dont care, makes me feel better when I see 18mpg on the computer. Im sure there will be a fix for it soon.

All the extra gas money, same gas milage; my cares go right out the window when I push that little skinny petal.

Oh yea, I dont hotdog my RIPP either............ yea right.
It sounds like I am not alone in the poor or less than advertised mpg improvement. And while you may hot rod yours around I do not & for that matter about half of the last 2 tanks of gas have been on the highway on cruise across town. I run premium gas & I have to admit its consistent but consistenly poor at 11.9-12 mpg for both city & highway. The factory mpg readout may be a trivial thing but the point of spending this much money for something that is not 100% correct is frustrating especially when all I hear from Ripp is excuses & have not even got a response to my 2 e mails offering a fix or apology for the problem. Just stating my .02 but I know they have already lost 2 sales from friends of mine that were waiting to see how my system turned out. Id sell them mine but they don't want it & it's not worth much now that I upgraded the original & now the Gen 2 kits are out for $1600 less than what I have in mine.
Old 01-05-2011, 03:55 PM
JK Freak

It sounds like I am not alone in the poor or less than advertised mpg improvement. And while you may hot rod yours around I do not & for that matter about half of the last 2 tanks of gas have been on the highway on cruise across town. I run premium gas & I have to admit its consistent but consistenly poor at 11.9-12 mpg for both city & highway. The factory mpg readout may be a trivial thing but the point of spending this much money for something that is not 100% correct is frustrating especially when all I hear from Ripp is excuses & have not even got a response to my 2 e mails offering a fix or apology for the problem. Just stating my .02 but I know they have already lost 2 sales from friends of mine that were waiting to see how my system turned out. Id sell them mine but they don't want it & it's not worth much now that I upgraded the original & now the Gen 2 kits are out for $1600 less than what I have in mine.
Im just ribbin ya. I understand your fustration. I havent had any problems getting a response from RIPP, even on the weekend. I do know that their business was closed the week after Christmas.

I was joking about hotdogging my rig. I did gram-paw it thru one tank but didnt see any difference doing that or jumping up to speed quickly (not WOT) onto the interstate, or quick take offs thru a tank. I do like to test it every now and then just to make sure my SC is still there. I find myself going 5 to 10 mph faster now with the same petal imput. My wife thinks its funny cause I never use to go over the posted speed limit. Hell I couldnt cause the Jeep was a dog before.

Last edited by YingYang; 01-05-2011 at 04:02 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 03:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just a question, are you really only getting 12 mpg or is that just what the display tells you, have you done the math to make sure it's right?
Old 01-05-2011, 04:09 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jcs07jk
Just a question, are you really only getting 12 mpg or is that just what the display tells you, have you done the math to make sure it's right?
Yes I have done it numerous times as stated previously. Actually the jeep display says anywhere from 17-20 but at the end of the tank when figuring it's 12 (225 miles / 18.9 gallons) The thing runs good if thats all your looking for but if you want better mpg on the highway (for long trips like I did) or just better mpg in general like Ripp claims I would not place any faith in there advertising.
Old 01-05-2011, 04:16 PM
JK Freak

Yes I have done it numerous times as stated previously. Actually the jeep display says anywhere from 17-20 but at the end of the tank when figuring it's 12 (225 miles / 18.9 gallons) The thing runs good if thats all your looking for but if you want better mpg on the highway (for long trips like I did) or just better mpg in general like Ripp claims I would not place any faith in there advertising.
Yep, he is spot on, well at least for his and my Jeep. Tested at fillup with milage divided by gallons = 12-13mpg. I was expecting, or at least hoping for more but I knew what I was getting myself into when I stuck 5.13 gears and 37" tires on this brick. He just described me to a tee, I wanted this thing to hold speed on the interstate and it does do that very, very easily.

There is another guy on here with 35" tires, manual tranny and stock gears getting 16 mpg. He is also tooling around at mountain elevations.

Quick Reply: RIPP SuperCharger Gen2 Real World Results