Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

RIPP SuperCharger Gen2 Real World Results

Old 12-13-2010, 05:56 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
I want, I want, I want. Maybe next year.
Ditto, thanks for posting up your install experience
Old 12-13-2010, 06:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Alaska-HWY JK
So looking at this graph we can expect nothing till after 3200 rpm? I was hoping for a little more in the highway cruising rpm range.
That's where we started the test. We didn't pull from a dead stop.
Old 12-13-2010, 06:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

How much is it going to make between 2000 and 3000 rpm is what I'm wondering. I'm seriously considering this setup. Not trying to hijack a thread but will this improve highway driving or still downshift steady? I have the offroad gearing, I just want it more highway friendly on the way there. 37's and 5:13s. I can't remember does the Diablo make changes for the tires and gears as well as the tune.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:24 PM
cfr
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jkerr
Gas mileage is blowing me away. I have run some fuel through to get a real world number, but on the highway I reset my computer and it was averaging 22MPG! I haven't seen anything higher than 14 since I bought the jeep. This is an unexpected, but welcomed benefit. If the MPG keeps up, the supercharger will pay for itself in short order. Fuel is $3.39/gallon in Chicago.
I'm thinking of a RIPP myself so I had to run the numbers on this.

Using only the data in the paragraph above, you're seeing an 8 MPG improvement (probably a "best case" assumption). Given gas prices at $3.39/gallon and assuming that you'd run the same gas you'd have to drive ~56,000 miles to pay for a $5000 RIPP Supercharger (about 3.8 years of driving at 15,000 miles/year).

Again, I'm a RIPP supporter and potential customer. Just need to make sure we're setting proper expectations for return on investment with the Chief Financial Officer of the household (aka wife).
Old 12-14-2010, 03:36 AM
JK Newbie

Heh, with those assumptions, I'd be looking at a 10 -11yr ROI.
But, gas prices will likely rise, and I have to factor in the smile factor.

Assuming the increase in mpg are based on normal driving, where the JK is not working as hard.

I dunno about you guys, but If I had a supercharger, my gas gauge would look like a tach in reverse!
Old 12-14-2010, 04:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

How much is it going to make between 2000 and 3000 rpm is what I'm wondering. I'm seriously considering this setup. Not trying to hijack a thread but will this improve highway driving or still downshift steady? I have the offroad gearing, I just want it more highway friendly on the way there. 37's and 5:13s. I can't remember does the Diablo make changes for the tires and gears as well as the tune.
The SuperCharger comes in about 2000 RPM and continues to build from there. I have 5.13 gears on 35's. I run 2500 at 70 MPH on the freeway. It will shift down sometimes going up large hills, but nothing like it use to. Most of the time it will hold over-drive.

Originally Posted by cfr
I'm thinking of a RIPP myself so I had to run the numbers on this.

Using only the data in the paragraph above, you're seeing an 8 MPG improvement (probably a "best case" assumption). Given gas prices at $3.39/gallon and assuming that you'd run the same gas you'd have to drive ~56,000 miles to pay for a $5000 RIPP Supercharger (about 3.8 years of driving at 15,000 miles/year).
I don't think many people would run out and buy a supercharger because it is going to save them gas mileage, but it is a criteria that the wife CFO (Chief Financial Obstructionist) would take into consideration. Every other mod I've made (tires, gears, bumpers, etc.) have reduced gas mileage. This is the first mod that has increased it. And I've been driving my Jeep like I stole it. Go figure?

An engine exchange is the only other option out there that would provide similar power. Any good CFO would review all of the facts before ok'ing an expense. After reviewing all of the required costly changes for a Hemi conversion (axles, drive shafts, more weight, emissions, labor, vehicle downtime, etc.) and comparing them to a SuperCharger that is $4K, improves mileage even marginally, is a bolt-on appliance that practically anyone can do, the system can be removed if it has to go to a dealer for Warranty/maintenance, etc. It was an easy decision to make for me and my CFO.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:09 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

93 octane.
Excellent - and that's where most of the power is found - we've tuned on 89 - through 93 fuel - Our goal is a conservative One Tune Fits all. Taking into the account our tunes go around the world.

RIPPTECH
Old 12-14-2010, 08:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RIPPMODS
Excellent - and that's where most of the power is found - we've tuned on 89 - through 93 fuel - Our goal is a conservative One Tune Fits all. Taking into the account our tunes go around the world.

RIPPTECH
My tuner was very impressed with your tune. It is well constructed. And I can attest to the fact that it ran great in my rig. It is understandable that you have to air on the conservative side. Every jeep and environment is different. A dyno is the only safe way to get max potential out of any performance mod.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Very nice! Now the big question on my mind...will there be a RIPP SC for the Pentastar?
Old 12-14-2010, 01:44 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

So looking at this graph we can expect nothing till after 3200 rpm? I was hoping for a little more in the highway cruising rpm range.
Good observation - Jkerr's Jeep is an Auto - When testing with an Auto you cannot make HP passes until the torque converter locks up and you get your ONE to ONE ratio with no slip --- JK's converter locks up at (3200)

My tuner was very impressed with your tune. It is well constructed. And I can attest to the fact that it ran great in my rig. It is understandable that you have to air on the conservative side. Every jeep and environment is different. A dyno is the only safe way to get max potential out of any performance mod.
Thank you

The wife CFO (Chief Financial Obstructionist)
Thats funny right there - I don't care who you are...

RIPPTECH

Last edited by RIPPMODS; 12-14-2010 at 01:58 PM.

Quick Reply: RIPP SuperCharger Gen2 Real World Results