Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

RIPP SuperCharger Gen2 Real World Results

Old 12-13-2010, 04:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mjm
Will adding the intercooler to your setup give you more horsepower? How important is the intercooler?
Adding an Intercooler keeps the intake temps cooler. Timing can then be advanced getting more power delivered to the wheels. Our hypothesis is that we can pull out another 20 lbs of torque and about 10 HP or so if I install one. I will run the tests and let you know the results as soon as I save up a few bucks to get it.

Intake temps get pretty high without an intercooler. We were seeing over 200 degrees running WOT tests. The speed shop where I've been dynoing said it is better to keep temps below 120 degrees, but higher temps will not technically hurt the engine. Even 400 degree air entering the engine is still much cooler than the combustion process. The higher temps reduce the density of the air, which will induce detonation in the compression cycle. The computer will sense this condition and automatically retard the timing pulling power output down. In other words, on hot days the Jeep will not be as responsive for those of us who do not have an Intercooler.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Nice review!! can you give us a MPG before and after? Thank you so much!!
Old 12-13-2010, 04:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CALIJK
OK, I want one. At least until I get my Hemi. Thanks for posting.
I was thinking the same thing until I actually got a RIPP. Now I'm not so sure. The power band and responsiveness feels the same to me as it does in a Hemi V8. I know there are differences, but honestly I cannot feel it. The entry cost is also very affordable. $4K for a supercharger is a pretty good deal compared to what Mustang and Corvette guys spend to install one of these.

Originally Posted by kntr
How does the Dyno help to tune? I want a SC but there are no Dynos around here. What adjustments can you make? I know nothing about the SC as Ive always wanted a Hemi.
RIPP sets their tune to be conservative. It has to work throughout the world. Many folks do not have a tuner easily accessible. Tuning is not required, but you will get more power out of it if you take it to a good shop. I'll write about my experience later, but to summarize, we were able to pull almost 50 lbs of torque and 40 horsepower more out of it. If I had an intercooler, we would get more.

Originally Posted by XBlacky08X
AWESOME post.. I hopefully will get a RIPP kit sooner or later.. I have a 2dr X with a 6spd so it isn't all that bad.. But I do wish it was a little faster!
A supercharger would be awesome on a 6speed. The driver has full control over when they shift. Us Auto guys have to live with whatever the computer decides to do. We also have a much higher trans gear ratio and 4 gears vs 6. A standard transmission with a supercharger would be a perfect combo.
Old 12-13-2010, 06:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Unless you have to drive with two hands on the steering wheel you can upshift or downshift your auto manually.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by crazyloggy
Nice review!! can you give us a MPG before and after? Thank you so much!!
The max I've ever seen on my dash fuel calculator is 18MPG. pre-supercharger, I generally average around 14-15 MPG on the highway and about 9-10 MPG in the city. I have to run a few tanks through to get a good number, but I was easily getting 22MPG on the highway after the tune. Getting the AFR exactly right throughout the RPM band makes a huge difference. The engine also doesn't have to work as hard to hold highway speeds.

Originally Posted by cbloyer81
How much did you get charged for a tune? How much more HP/TQ did you see post tune?
I went to Benchmark Tuning in Chicago. They charge a flat rate fee. It is the same price regardless of how long it takes. It was about $400 for two days of Dyno time. Benchmark Tuning is awesome. If you are in Chicago, I highly recommend them.

Originally Posted by Alaska-HWY JK
Unless you have to drive with two hands on the steering wheel you can upshift or downshift your auto manually.
True enough. I'd just prefer to have the computer do it right. There has to be some advantage to having an automatic
Old 12-13-2010, 02:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Gang, though you'd like to see the Dyno run with the Ripp v2.1 tune versus the After Dyno tune. The numbers that RIPP is quoting are real.

We need to tweak the early power output a bit. The torque starts a bit low and then surges before it starts falling. This is due to my fuel/air ratio. We are a bit rich in this area, which is taking the power down. We ran out of time to finish it up. The lower blue line is the RIPP tune. You can see that it has flat steady power and then starts dropping at 4250 RPM. We should be able mirror this line at the increased power point when we get the AFR normalized.

FYI, the dyno we used was a PowerDyne 4WD Mustang Dyno. We did not alter the baseline calibrations.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:08 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jkerr
Gang, though you'd like to see the Dyno run with the Ripp v2.1 tune versus the After Dyno tune. The numbers that RIPP is quoting are real.

We need to tweak the early power output a bit. The torque starts a bit low and then surges before it starts falling. This is due to my fuel/air ratio. We are a bit rich in this area, which is taking the power down. We ran out of time to finish it up. The lower blue line is the RIPP tune. You can see that it has flat steady power and then starts dropping at 4250 RPM. We should be able mirror this line at the increased power point when we get the AFR normalized.

FYI, the dyno we used was a PowerDyne 4WD Mustang Dyno. We did not alter the baseline calibrations.
What grade fuel did you tune with?
Old 12-13-2010, 04:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RIPPMODS
What grade fuel did you tune with?
93 octane.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:03 PM
JK Newbie

Default 3.73 gears and ripp SC

anybody running the ripp supercharger with 3.73 gears and 33" tires?
Don't have the cash for the ripp , 5.13s and 35" tires.
just wondering what to expect.
I need to get the supercharger while I've got the funds.
easier for me to come up the a couple grand at a time but damn hard to
get that 5k figured out
thanks,
pops
Old 12-13-2010, 05:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

So looking at this graph we can expect nothing till after 3200 rpm? I was hoping for a little more in the highway cruising rpm range.

Quick Reply: RIPP SuperCharger Gen2 Real World Results