Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

RIPP SuperCharger Gen2 Real World Results

Old 01-07-2011, 03:37 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jkerr
We are knocking you because you are way out of line. You are ranting about something that is meaningless and then you don't back anything up with relevant facts. The vast, vast majority of people praise RIPP for a reason. They are an ethical company that makes a great product. Period.

We all need to keep in mind that the Jeep mod market isn't that big. We need vendors to continue to invest in new products and to sponsor this forum. RIPP invested major $$ to bring these supercharges to market, which was clearly not an easy task. Ross put RIPP and his personal neck on the line for all of us. In this economy, that's saying a lot. I am grateful that they did. My Jeep runs better than I ever thought it would. It has been remarkable transformation. Best mod bar none.
1. If its meaningless why do they advertise the increase???
2. If its meaningless why then when I talked to Ross before my purchase explained what i was looking for did he tell me about the mpg increase??
3. If he wouldn't have made such a point of telling me what to expect, advertised it I would not be upset.
4. It may not be meaningless to you as you boast about your billion dollar company but it is to me & I don't think you are in any position to judge the importance of an item to myself or anyone else.

I asked Ripp to send me another DIablo to correct the mpg issue (as they admit its a glich in the tuner) while trivial it bugs me as I'm an anal person. It was correct before & it should be now. They would not do so after me spending $6600 dollars so far! They told me I will have to wait till they correct it. I said if there is a glitch in the tuner that causes my mpg readout to be wrong simple logic tells me maybe that has an effect on my mileage. Ross said that made sense & could be possible but again would not send me another tuner!! That is bullshit and not good customer service.

I have never knocked the quality of the kit. Having worked on cars etc for years this kit was one of the most complete I have ever installed on anything & the directions are first rate. I never knocked Ross as he is clearly very knowledgable with what he does. This says real world results.........................WELL these are my real world results they may vary from yours & my expectations may have varied from yours but I have not listed any non factual information. Somebody asked about the new engine & or a s/c on his and I gave my opinion. No different then you just did to me!
Old 01-07-2011, 04:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by outside316
1. If its meaningless why do they advertise the increase???
Because some of their customers have had an MPG increase. Read any product literature and they list every feature they can. Some may be more significant than another, but they still list it. RIPP is no different.

2. If its meaningless why then when I talked to Ross before my purchase explained what i was looking for did he tell me about the mpg increase??
Have no idea. He will have to respond to that question.

3. If he wouldn't have made such a point of telling me what to expect, advertised it I would not be upset.
Honestly,, I think something isn't right in your rig. The Supercharger has to be installed right. There are a lot of little steps that can be easily missed. It could be as simple as the spark plug gap being too big/small. Seemingly little issues can make a material difference.

4. It may not be meaningless to you as you boast about your billion dollar company but it is to me & I don't think you are in any position to judge the importance of an item to myself or anyone else.
I never boast about my company or success. What I have today could be gone tomorrow. My experience with building a business from nothing more than an idea, however, does help me better understand RIPP and what they have to go through to make it. It is not easy. We need to support American businesses or there won't be anyone left to support.

I asked Ripp to send me another DIablo to correct the mpg issue (as they admit its a glich in the tuner) while trivial it bugs me as I'm an anal person. It was correct before & it should be now. They would not do so after me spending $6600 dollars so far! They told me I will have to wait till they correct it. I said if there is a glitch in the tuner that causes my mpg readout to be wrong simple logic tells me maybe that has an effect on my mileage. Ross said that made sense & could be possible but again would not send me another tuner!! That is bullshit and not good customer service.
I'm not sure what glitch they are talking about unless it has something to do with the gear ratio settings I mentioned in an earlier post. RIPP has nothing to do with Diablo. They are just a reseller. They put in requests, but have no ability whatsoever to make physical changes in the Diablo base software. Unfortunately, Diablo is the only tuner manufacturer that can program our ECM's. RIPP has no other vendor to call. Regardless, you shouldn't have to get a new device. It is programmable via a serial cable/PC. When Diablo releases the update you can download it from their website and install it on the tuner.

I have never knocked the quality of the kit. Having worked on cars etc for years this kit was one of the most complete I have ever installed on anything & the directions are first rate. I never knocked Ross as he is clearly very knowledgable with what he does. This says real world results.........................WELL these are my real world results they may vary from yours & my expectations may have varied from yours but I have not listed any non factual information. Somebody asked about the new engine & or a s/c on his and I gave my opinion. No different then you just did to me!
I think at the end of the day we are all satisfied with the quality of the RIPP products. The biggest difference between my self-install and yours is I had it tuned by an exceptionally skilled guy. The base RIPP tune is good, but it is conservative. If you can get on a dyno with a qualified tuner you will be amazed at what they can get out of it.

Old 01-07-2011, 05:11 PM
JK Junkie

Default Ripp SC MPG

Originally Posted by jkerr
You talk a lot about all of these MPG promises that RIPP makes, false advertising, etc. I've looked through the RIPP MOD site and have read every post I can find about them. I've only found a few instances where they say customers have said the get x-y more MPG or they have personally experienced it; however, I've never seen a statement from them that says "you will" or "they guarantee" anything. They increase horsepower and torque, which is undisputed.

Can you please post a link or direct us to where all of these false claims are? A forum, website, etc. by RIPP that is guaranteeing a MPG increase for its customers or anything that is false advertising/misleading. Saying some customers have had gains is a legit statement. I am a customer and I have had a MPG increase.
I'll not get in the middle of whether anyone's claims are valid or touch the "guarantee" strawman, but I recall having the general impression that the claims were made so with a quick search found the following (they are several more, but this should suffice for the moment).

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...l=1#post595381 Note the response to the "challenge" by two separate posters that MPG will not go up.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...l=1#post899984 Interesting discussion re the claim, "We are happy to report gas mileage has gone up nearly 6 miles per gallon in the city and over 11 highway WHEN DRIVEN respectfully."

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...=1#post1350368 Note the Pros re MPG.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

I may be out of line since I am a neebie to this forum, but I think you need to move on, outside 316. I appreciate your dilemma, as I am sure everyone else does, but your posts/rants are just getting to be a little too much. Don't mean to be offensive.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:56 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by johngervase
I may be out of line since I am a neebie to this forum, but I think you need to move on, outside 316. I appreciate your dilemma, as I am sure everyone else does, but your posts/rants are just getting to be a little too much. Don't mean to be offensive.
None of my business except for the fact that I am considering the product, but I agree with johngervase. In the marketplace as consumers we all have to realize that products go through upgrades and revisions and initial pricing may be reduced as manufacturing volume increases etc. It isn't really fair to purchase the GEN 1 then complain that the improved setup is cheaper. It sucks but what can you do.

You stated your case but do not appear interested to work with the team to solve what may be a vehicle specific issue. Not sure if you have everything converted to GEN 2 but we still havn't heard any responses to the legitimate troubleshooting questions posed by the "technical support".

eg,...is your tail pipe blackened with carbon or not?

All that aside, I appreciate the comments from everyone.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:45 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JK-Rubi
I'll not get in the middle of whether anyone's claims are valid or touch the "guarantee" strawman, but I recall having the general impression that the claims were made so with a quick search found the following (they are several more, but this should suffice for the moment).

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...l=1#post595381 Note the response to the "challenge" by two separate posters that MPG will not go up.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...l=1#post899984 Interesting discussion re the claim, "We are happy to report gas mileage has gone up nearly 6 miles per gallon in the city and over 11 highway WHEN DRIVEN respectfully."

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...=1#post1350368 Note the Pros re MPG.
Thank you for pointing this out - both of those reference GEN1 kits which saw gains early on - most of the feed back was provided by clients... and if you really try you can sip the fuel and see those gains )but who buys a supercharger to drive 50mph in vacuum Since then (2 years ago) we have moved our claims down to 2-4 more MPG from where you are now (based on consumer input) and when asked we respond.

"It depends, no to trucks are the same, it safe to say you will gain a mile or two, but at very least you'll have more power and remain where you are"

We want to make a very clear point here .. the current RIPP 2.0 series of tunes are not meant o maximize HP/torque or fuel mileage. They are meant to be a one tune fits all. We will always look to revise our tunes based on consumer input and outeside316 has posed a perspective. The question is, is his truck unique to the poor gas mileage? Based on our network of client it seems so... How do we as manufactures isolate the issue? We work with the client... I think after the conversation with our lead tech which was 20-30mins long it was clear the info could not be put into one email. His question merited a phone call and lots of info was traded... we've put him on a few run-trough's and we posed the question to our calibrator. Can we write custom tunes for everyone NO... is there something to be learned.... We always want to make a client happy and we have a lot of happy clients...

RIPPTECH
Old 01-08-2011, 04:49 AM
JK Newbie

We've had our gen II s/c and long tube headers on for about 3 weeks, with 1200 miles on it so far. At first the out of the box tune was satisfactory. But with a few phone calls to the great people at RIPPs and some adjustments to the calibrations it is a totally different Jeep!! I LOVE IT!!! Thank you!!

He (the jeep) will be going to get properly tuned so that we can get the best performance out of him.

Thanks again RIPP for a great product.
Old 01-08-2011, 03:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've heard of a competing s/c kit coming soon. I read this thread to see what people were saying about the RIPP so when the time came I could make an informed decision.

Boy did this thread go off track.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:53 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by RIPPMODS
We want to make a very clear point here .. the current RIPP 2.0 series of tunes are not meant to maximize HP/torque or fuel mileage.

RIPPTECH
Does that mean in the real world, fuel economy could be maximized in a tune? And if so, is this at the expense of HP/torque? In other words, would it be possible to really gain 4-5 mpg, but at a loss of x percent of HP/torque?

Still trying to learn about superchargers (and a lot of other stuff).
Old 01-10-2011, 06:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

On a rubicon with 34" tires, how much more can I expect to spend to make the RIPP work the way it's supposed to? I'm really wanting the extra power, especially after having just driven from Arkansas to South Carolina via the lower part of the smokeys. Do I need to swap out gears? The Rubicon (automatic with a Superchips) did OK, but my check engine light came on and it refused to shift into the highest gear after a while. (OBD code PO740).
I also have an Outlander trailer that I would like to tow to some mountainous areas, but I need the extra power to really do so effectively. Any advice?

Quick Reply: RIPP SuperCharger Gen2 Real World Results