Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

RIPP SuperCharger Gen2 Real World Results

Old 01-05-2011, 07:18 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by outside316
Yes I have checked all of these things & frankly several don't need checked as the vehicle only has 37000 miles on it. I am not new to mechanical work & have raced or worked on vehicles for 25 yrs. I can assure you it is not the driver as I stated this is normal driving, I am not hotrodding this thing around as if I do the mileage is worse than I am already getting & that is bad enough. I do find it interesting these problems are blamed on the driver, tire size not calibrated etc when the mph is correct withen 1mph according to my GPS & when I went to set the tire size the Diablo was already set to 35" presumably by your tuner when the system was purchased since you requested tire size, gear, tranny etc at that time. I am not trying to knock your company yet after spending what is now $6600 for the Gen 1 kit & now the upgrade I have something that still doesn't deliver what you advertise nor is the kit 100% correct since my mpg readout is wrong. It stands to reason that you use Diablo tuners so part of this is on you regardless of subcontracting part of the electronics out. I for the most part have enjoyed talking to Ross & he obviously knows what he is doing, however the bottom line is if you were in my shoes & shelled out over 6 grand for what I have would you be happy??
The tune is the same for all vehicles - the variable is the vehicle, how and where its driven- We use all the sensors the Jeep has, and long and short term fuel trims are based on the 7 trucks we've tuned locally and the input we've gotten from various dealers and tuners outside of RIPP.

Our point (despite your experience) is if the vehicle has an isolated problem it can show up as MPG loss. By example a vacuum/boost leak would run rich. Fuel enrichment is based on MAP sensor (boost) input, throttle position and O2 trim. If for example you had a weak O2 it would not show in the codes but again it would/could run rich... if you had a weak spark plug one bank would run richer the the other, effecting the tune and MPG. What if your torque converter is lose and your slipping power, this will cost fuel mileage as well
  • We asked if the tail pipe shows signs of running rich -
  • Have you looked at a plug to see if it reads rich -

To our defense we don't make excuses, just ask questions to help you get down to what again seems to be an isolated (issue). For the record, we clearly note on our site that fuel mileage is based on clients input. We are in your shoes, we drive what we sell our shop rig produces 13mpg in the city and 16-17mpg highway driving at traffic speeds 70-75mph. If we use our remote start and idle it 5-7 minutes in the morning our average drops down considerably. Consider where you drive, is it hilly, windy, how heavy is your rig... These all factor in.

Ironically a thread which is regarded as real world has turned into a show about engines that did not come out yet and one client with poor gas mileage... our apologies to the OP for the thread high-jack, we will do our best to steer this in a direction.

RIPPTECH

Last edited by RIPPMODS; 01-06-2011 at 06:19 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:50 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if mileage doesnt make the pentastar decision easier, the factory warranty locks it in.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:06 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by RIPPMODS
The tune is the same for all vehicles - the variable is the vehicle, how and where its driven- We use all the sensors the Jeep has, and long and short term fuel trims are based on the 7 trucks we've tuned locally and the input we've gotten from various dealers and tuners outside or RIPP.

Our point (despite your experience) is if the vehicle has an isolated problem it can show up as MPG loss. By example a vacuum/boost leak the fuel tune would run rich. Fuel enrichment is based on MAP sensor (boost) input, throttle position and O2 trim. If for example you had a weak O2 it would not show in the codes but again it would/could run rich... if you had a weak spark plug one bank would run richer the the other, effecting the tune and MPG. What if your converter is lose and your slipping power, this will cost fuel mileage as well
  • We asked if the tail pipe shows signs of running rich -
  • Have you looked at a plug to see if it reads rich -

To our defense we don't make excuses, just ask questions to help you get down to what again seems to be an isolated (issue). For the record, we clearly note on our site that fuel mileage is based on clients input. We are in your shoes, we drive what we sell our shop rig produces 13mpg in the city and 16-17mpg highway driving at traffic speeds 70-75mph. If we use our remote start and idle it 5-7 minutes in the morning our average drops down considerably. Consider where you drive, is it hilly, windy, how heavy is your rig... These all factor in.

Ironically a thread which is regarded as real world has turned into a show about engines that did not come out yet and one client with poor gas mileage... our apologies to the OP for the thread high-jack, we will do our best to steer this in a direction.

RIPPTECH
Ripp,

As you stated the thread is Real World Results & isn't that what I am listing? Previously you stated that the mpg computer on my Jeep being wrong after programming with your Diablo tune & tuner is an isolated incident affecting a few people! If this is so why then do you not send me another programmer & then I can load this with a new tune downloaded from you? This should as you say clear up the mpg readout being wrong & if that is effected it might possibly make the vehicle run better as well, as clearly somethng is wrong with the tuner?

I would be thrilled with 16-17 mpg as that is what I got before spending $6600 & the installation of your system. If you can as you say do that with taller, heavier tires & the same system then surely I should be able to get that driving across the flatest state in the country with 35" tires. And before I hear it again no I don't expect that on days when the wind is blowing 30 mph.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:30 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ripp,

As you stated the thread is Real World Results & isn't that what I am listing? Previously you stated that the mpg computer on my Jeep being wrong after programming with your Diablo tune & tuner is an isolated incident affecting a few people! If this is so why then do you not send me another programmer & then I can load this with a new tune downloaded from you? This should as you say clear up the mpg readout being wrong & if that is effected it might possibly make the vehicle run better as well, as clearly somethng is wrong with the tuner?

I would be thrilled with 16-17 mpg as that is what I got before spending $6600 & the installation of your system. If you can as you say do that with taller, heavier tires & the same system then surely I should be able to get that driving across the flatest state in the country with 35" tires. And before I hear it again no I don't expect that on days when the wind is blowing 30 mph.
I'm not defending RIPP but what did you expect when you have 5.13 gears and 35s (putting your engine speed on the highway at ~2500 RPM)? The higher gear ratio puts your RPMs well into the range of having a lot of boost available. More boost available means that more fuel must be added any time you give it significant throttle.

Can we please get back to the original topic of getting more real-world RIPP SC results as I would love to hear from a lot of different people's results?

I am tired of one person complaining that they didn't do their homework before getting the system and another person trying to say that we should wait for a high-revving ricer engine to be put in the JK. (Where is that smile face poking the hornets nest when you need it?)
Old 01-06-2011, 04:02 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by tpm152
I'm not defending RIPP but what did you expect when you have 5.13 gears and 35s (putting your engine speed on the highway at ~2500 RPM)? The higher gear ratio puts your RPMs well into the range of having a lot of boost available. More boost available means that more fuel must be added any time you give it significant throttle.

Can we please get back to the original topic of getting more real-world RIPP SC results as I would love to hear from a lot of different people's results?

I am tired of one person complaining that they didn't do their homework before getting the system and another person trying to say that we should wait for a high-revving ricer engine to be put in the JK. (Where is that smile face poking the hornets nest when you need it?)
Well there TPM it might be good to get your facts straight. I did do my homework & talked to Ripp numerous times before buying the Gen1 kit & again before spending another $1600 to upgrade it. Do you own one of these if so maybe you would know that at highway speed the engine is generally at 0 boost/vacuum & at a grade may go to 2 lbs of boost or so while being set on cruise. This hardly seems like a reason for my same vehicle set up to drop 3-5 mpg from what I got before the install. Also Ross is adament about the best mileage being obtained at the magic 0 number which is exactly what I am doing.

I am not saying anyone should wait for there new motor only stating my experience with this system & my opinion which last I checked is the whole point of a forum. The fact that I have addressed these problems with Ripp with 2 e mails & have received no response much less any real solutions or attempts to fix my issues is frustrating.

As some have stated if I wanted mileage get a Prius..........hmm that is intelligent I'm not looking for a miracle just what I have been told to expect numerous times by Ripp themselves through the course of my "homework" & what seems very feasible given what we jeep owners & Ripp have to work with.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:45 AM
JK Freak

Well there TPM it might be good to get your facts straight. I did do my homework & talked to Ripp numerous times before buying the Gen1 kit & again before spending another $1600 to upgrade it. Do you own one of these if so maybe you would know that at highway speed the engine is generally at 0 boost/vacuum & at a grade may go to 2 lbs of boost or so while being set on cruise. This hardly seems like a reason for my same vehicle set up to drop 3-5 mpg from what I got before the install. Also Ross is adament about the best mileage being obtained at the magic 0 number which is exactly what I am doing.

I am not saying anyone should wait for there new motor only stating my experience with this system & my opinion which last I checked is the whole point of a forum. The fact that I have addressed these problems with Ripp with 2 e mails & have received no response much less any real solutions or attempts to fix my issues is frustrating.

As some have stated if I wanted mileage get a Prius..........hmm that is intelligent I'm not looking for a miracle just what I have been told to expect numerous times by Ripp themselves through the course of my "homework" & what seems very feasible given what we jeep owners & Ripp have to work with.
As I said, any time you give it significant throttle (which you will do to maintain speed on the highway) you will be as you said at ~2 pounds of boost. At 2 pounds of boost, that equates to 15 - 20% more air in the cylinders compared to before supercharging (since atmospheric pressure at sea level is 14.7 PSI). With 5.13 gears, 35s and an automatic I would guess that you were getting 15 mpg before the RIPP install? If so then when you add 15 - 20% more fuel (to keep the A/F ratio within safe limits) then magically the math works out to give you 12.5 - 13 mpg. Then subtract 0.5 to 1 mpg just because you have a SC now so of course it is fun to really use it once in a great while and accelerate faster than you did pre-SC. Am I reasonably close to describing your situation?

This is what I mean by doing your homework, not listening to what others tell you but actually doing the math for your particular situation. I am sorry things didn't work out as you'd hoped and I haven't meant any offense by anything I've said. I am just trying to help others on the forum see how to do the math for their particular rigs so that they can figure out whether they will take a significant loss on mpg if they add a SC.

I am guessing that the main vehicles that will realize the advertised mpg gain will be automatic JKs with stock 3.73 gearing and 32" tires or JKs with 4.10 gearing with 35s. The reason is that they will be turning at ~2000 RPM on the highway in OD and they will only require a tiny amount of extra fuel after supercharing (probably ~5%) when using significant throttle. But most times that extra 5% power will be all that will be required to maintain speed up a grade or driving into a headwind, so after supercharging these rigs will not need to downshift. Whereas before the supercharger, in order to maintain speed up a grade or into a head wind they would need to drop into 3rd gear, spinning the engine at ~3500 RPMs, and burning about 25 - 30% more fuel.

These people with supercharged rigs with stock gearing would be the ones I would love to hear from the most (mainly to see whether my assumptions are correct)

Old 01-06-2011, 05:49 AM
JK Freak

I'm getting a SC soon to get more power out of my JK, that's it !!!
I'm having a hard time following traffic in the mountains.
If I can get better fuel milage, that will be a bonus for me....

Have you ever heard some Ferrari owners chatting about fuel milage... come on, this thread is about a SUPERCHARGER....
Old 01-06-2011, 07:04 AM
JK Freak

Here is a little info on boost/vaccum from my rig. I have logged nearly 2000 mi on the RIPP.

5.13 gears - 37" tires (36.25" on Jeep) - Tire pressure 28-30lbs -70 mph - Automatic trans

Numbers aquired from an Aeroforce gauge and JK's tach.

RPM - 2300-2400
Boost at steady throttle, flat road no wind - 0.0
Up slight grade - before a shift out of OD - 0.6 to 1.0
Down hill no throttle - (-6.0 varies)

At idel - (-19.0)

Gas milage, mixed driving, mostly in town, going to work 30mi round trip - 12-13 mpg
Gas milage , interstate driving, 70 mph, frequent grade changes. I tested this over a 300 mi trip - 12-13 mpg

What I have yet to test is 55-60 mph driving continuous. This is where I would see significant gains before the RIPP. Upwards of 16-17mpg.

0-60 time - 9.29 sec (Straight tune from RIPP no tweeking)

Last edited by YingYang; 01-06-2011 at 07:29 AM.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:47 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ripp,

As per a phone conversation with our lead Tech Outside316 is going to perform some tests for us to help hone in on the MPG he's seeing. We look forward to his results.

RIPPTECH

Last edited by RIPPMODS; 01-06-2011 at 11:22 AM.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah. I'm just looking for more power. I gave up in mpg as soon as I installed 35's. Was just curious. Not really to concerned

Quick Reply: RIPP SuperCharger Gen2 Real World Results