Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

RIPP SuperCharger Gen2 Real World Results

Old 12-12-2010, 06:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RIPP SuperCharger Gen2 Real World Results

I thought some of you may be interested in reading about my experience with the RIPP Gen2 SuperCharger. First off, I'm a gear head, but I am not a professional mechanic. I have basic hand tools and a small garage at my house in Chicago. I spend my free time making my Jeep bigger, better and actually capable of driving on the highway...

I love my Jeep, but hate that it is underpowered. Every time it shifts out of over-drive to go up a slight grade on the highway I want to shoot the idiot at Chrysler that decided on the 3.8/auto trans combo. I finally had enough and decided to take the plunge and buy a RIPP SuperCharger. I purchased the kit without an intercooler, but I will add one later after I save a few penny's.

My initial experience with RIPP is like what everyone else stays. Their customer service is second to none. They spent hours with me on the phone answering every question I had. Although I know i'm just one of their many customers, they treated me like I'm the only one they have. It is nice to be treated like a VIP for a change.

I received the SuperCharger about 2 weeks after I ordered it. It came in a 45 lbs box. It was securely packaged and every part I was suppose to get -- I got. I received the SuperCharger, new spark plugs, new Fuel Injectors, the Diablo programmer, the power cord for the Diablo and everything I needed to install it in the Jeep. So many kits make you hunt around buying parts you don't know you need. Not RIPP, they give you everything for one price.

Installing the RIPP system is straightforward and every step is clearly spelled out in their installation manual. Their manual has excellent pictures along with easy to understand directions. Critical "got ya" steps are called out in red. Anyone that is comfortable doing basic work on their vehicles can easily install this kit. The hardest part was removing the intake plentum to exchange the injectors. Taking it slow, reading the directions before you start and not jumping ahead is the key to successfully installing this kit.

Before starting the Jeep you have to reprogram the on-board computer (ECM). You need a Microsoft Windows-based computer or a MAC Virtual Machine emulating a Windows system for this step. The process is simple and the step-by-step directions are in the kit. The gist of it is to go to Diablo's site and download the latest tuning software, Diablo firmware and the USB to Serial cable drivers. Then update the Diablo programmer with the latest version. After that, go to the Jeep and sync a stock Diablo performance tune to the ECM. Applying a tune automatically backs up the original ECM program. After the tune is applied, go back to the computer, connect the Diablo and copy the original ECM file that was backed up onto your computer. Then email it to RIPP.

NOTE 1: It is important that the Jeep is to returned to stock if you have previously applied a SuperChips or other tuner program to the ECM. The diablo will think that is the stock setting and it could cause issues. It will also lock-out your other tuner.

NOTE 2: The RIPP guys asks that you send the stock program to them a few days before you tare into the jeep. This gives them time to create your specific Jeep custom program. My experience was that they turned it around in a few hours. Did I mention that RIPP team Rocks? Well, they do!

The final step of programming the Jeep is copying the file RIPP sent onto the Diablo (reverse of copying from above) and then sync it to the Jeep. At that point, you are safe to drive.

NOTE: don't let the computer stuff scare you off. If you can read and post to this forum, you can update the Diablo and program the Jeep. If you have issues, RIPP will walk you through step by step.

Here's a video I made shortly after I installed the RIPP. It ran like a top. No error lights, no weird issues, etc. I was pleasantly surprised that it ran so well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjxcgPpdsyk Here's another video of my 0-60 run, which was 8.44 seconds! Again, this is with the out of the box ECM program that comes free with the RIPP SuperCharger purchase:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PxvUzDrvdw As you can see, I am very happy with my RIPP purchase. I'll write a bit about my Dyno experience in a few days. Stay tuned...
Old 12-12-2010, 06:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Great post man, I would love to be able to get a ripp s/c put on my 3.8. Does it feel like it can get out of it's own way now? You happen to take any pics of ur install? I wonder what kind of gas mileage you can expect with that setup? Keep us posted.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:05 PM
JK Junkie

OK, I want one. At least until I get my Hemi. Thanks for posting.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CGnTtown
Great post man, I would love to be able to get a ripp s/c put on my 3.8. Does it feel like it can get out of it's own way now? You happen to take any pics of ur install? I wonder what kind of gas mileage you can expect with that setup? Keep us posted.
I took a ton of pics of the install. I haven't posted them online yet, but I can if people are interested.

The jeep rocked with the Ripp tune. Now that we've dialed it in on the Dyno, it is really smoking. The RIPP SuperCharger is a perfect solution for the 3.8. The power is unbelievable. Kicking out of overdrive now is like entering warp speed. It pushes you back and the seat and goes from 70-100 in seconds.

Gas mileage is blowing me away. I have run some fuel through to get a real world number, but on the highway I reset my computer and it was averaging 22MPG! I haven't seen anything higher than 14 since I bought the jeep. This is an unexpected, but welcomed benefit. If the MPG keeps up, the supercharger will pay for itself in short order. Fuel is $3.39/gallon in Chicago.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:13 PM
JK Junkie

How does the Dyno help to tune? I want a SC but there are no Dynos around here. What adjustments can you make? I know nothing about the SC as Ive always wanted a Hemi.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:33 PM
JK Freak

AWESOME post.. I hopefully will get a RIPP kit sooner or later.. I have a 2dr X with a 6spd so it isn't all that bad.. But I do wish it was a little faster!
Old 12-12-2010, 07:41 PM
JK Freak

YOU ARE KILLING ME!!! Now I need to sell something to buy one of these....

Post up your installation photo's....
Old 12-12-2010, 08:36 PM
mjm
JK Enthusiast

Will adding the intercooler to your setup give you more horsepower? How important is the intercooler?
Old 12-12-2010, 09:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Wow.. I wonder how these feel on the 6spds..
Old 12-13-2010, 03:05 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

I want, I want, I want. Maybe next year.

Quick Reply: RIPP SuperCharger Gen2 Real World Results