Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Reveiw of Rock Hard skid for 12 JKU

Old 03-06-2012, 10:47 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Reveiw of Rock Hard skid for 12 JKU

I recently purchased Rock Hard Skid plate for my 12 JKU from Quadratec. The skid plate is a one piece design that covers the trans,oil pan and exhaust. I chose this plate for 2 reasons. 1st, one piece design. 2nd price. My first impression of this skid after opening the box was this thing is heavy duty and look to be a well thought out design.
Now the down side. I open the hardware packet and pull out the instructions and I could barely figure out how to install it,and the photos at the bottom of the page where no help.They just looked like black smears at the bottom of the page. So after 15 or 20 minutes of trying to figure out how the brackets attached I gave Rock Hard a call and expressed my concerns with the instruction sheet.
Forgive me I do not recall who I spoke to there, but he was very helpful and explained how the brackets attached and even offered to walk me through the installation, that was not needed. I finished the installation shortly after and I'm very pleased with the skid plate itself and the customer service. I'd post a pic but I can't get a clear enough pic from my camera.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:59 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been thinking about getting this skid to for my 12 JK Rubi. From the sound of it, does it just bolt up to the bottom of the crossmember under the transfer case?
Old 03-06-2012, 11:04 PM
JK Newbie

Thank you for sharing. I'm very interested in adding basic skid protection but am not comfortable with some of the other, popular brand kits.

During your install, did you need to tie isolated items (engine, for example) to non-isolated items (frame, for example)? I would prefer a skid that doesn't require that.

Thanks!
Old 03-06-2012, 11:21 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by LimpinLobster
I've been thinking about getting this skid to for my 12 JK Rubi. From the sound of it, does it just bolt up to the bottom of the crossmember under the transfer case?
Bolts to the cross member at the transfer case and to the motor mount cradles in the front and to the frame on the drivers side.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:25 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by BlkJck
Thank you for sharing. I'm very interested in adding basic skid protection but am not comfortable with some of the other, popular brand kits.

During your install, did you need to tie isolated items (engine, for example) to non-isolated items (frame, for example)? I would prefer a skid that doesn't require that.

Thanks!
Everything bolts to solid mounting points. Cross member,motor mount cradles and to the frame.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:30 PM
JK Newbie

Sweet, thanks for the quick response!
Old 03-07-2012, 08:43 AM
JK Newbie

So it just bolts up underneath everything. No need to lift the motor up right? If so I am SOLD!!! Thanks for the info.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:09 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by LimpinLobster
So it just bolts up underneath everything. No need to lift the motor up right? If so I am SOLD!!! Thanks for the info.
No need to lift the motor, you are using an empty hole in the engine cradle.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:00 PM
JK Newbie

NICE!!! Thanks again man

Quick Reply: Reveiw of Rock Hard skid for 12 JKU