Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Result of hydrolocking...

Old 08-02-2022, 06:35 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great read and excellent post! Nice job
Old 08-03-2022, 05:22 AM
Super Moderator

Received 471 Likes on 423 Posts

Always said (going against the pundits) that HP Tuners and VM Scanner can allow one to get the most power from both the 3.6 and 3.8 Jeep engines. 3.6 really pulls timing back in the higher PE modes. Good idea to go with the old rods but you should have sprung for the van pistons as well for the larger oil rings.
Old 08-03-2022, 05:59 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Sixty4x4
Always said (going against the pundits) that HP Tuners and VM Scanner can allow one to get the most power from both the 3.6 and 3.8 Jeep engines. 3.6 really pulls timing back in the higher PE modes. Good idea to go with the old rods but you should have sprung for the van pistons as well for the larger oil rings.
I would have loved to really build the engine as best as it could be using the best parts from over the years. The issue was the machine shop could not do that amount of machine work for several months. Rather than not having my Jeep all summer, I just did the best I could with what the machine shop was able to do for me in a timely fashion - head and flywheel surfacing.

I have a few thousand miles on it now since the repairs and it is running great. Great oil pressure and the engine runs smoothly and quietly.
Old 08-03-2022, 01:11 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 205 Likes on 185 Posts
Lightbulb

Nice thread, nice work, and glad it's running great! The 3.8L is a pretty decent engine at 202 HP from 230 cubic inches. Almost 0.9 HP per cubic inch, that was high-performance when I was a kid.

Regarding HPT, suggest using 0.0692 for the stoich ratio and richening up the power enrich / pr-ratio a bit. The original cal is based on 100% gasoline and the norm now is likely close to 10% alcohol. Been refining my tune for a few years now, will send if you're interested.

Old 08-04-2022, 02:30 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mr.T
Nice thread, nice work, and glad it's running great! The 3.8L is a pretty decent engine at 202 HP from 230 cubic inches. Almost 0.9 HP per cubic inch, that was high-performance when I was a kid.

Regarding HPT, suggest using 0.0692 for the stoich ratio and richening up the power enrich / pr-ratio a bit. The original cal is based on 100% gasoline and the norm now is likely close to 10% alcohol. Been refining my tune for a few years now, will send if you're interested.
Yeah no kidding! Think of it like this - the 5.0 Mustangs us 90s young drivers so dearly loved were 205 HP from 302 (.68 hp/cu) cubic inches!
Old 08-04-2022, 02:39 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mr.T

Yes I would love to see your tune config!

I am on a tuning hiatus right now, until I get the wide band installed and operational. I did get the long tube headers and wye pipe set, I need to mock it up and figure out where the wide band bung needs to go so I can have my friend TIG weld it. Then I can wrap them up and bolt them in for real.

Then start turning again!
Old 08-04-2022, 02:55 AM
JK Newbie

Looking up at Test Hill at Silver Lake Sand Dunes.

Anti-hydrolock measures installed.

New brakes finally. Front and rear.

Clean and shiny!

Buddy and I after we were wheeling on the muddy trails.
Old 08-04-2022, 03:02 AM
JK Newbie

Silver Lake Sand Dunes by the beach at Lake MI
Old 08-04-2022, 12:01 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 205 Likes on 185 Posts
Lightbulb 3.8L Jeep Tune

Here's a link to my tune file at the HPT Forum. The top post has a link to the file, just updated it today. Lots of improvements over the years.

Nice Jeep there, looks good in black. Love those dunes too. Here's a pic at Sand Lake here in Oregon, the trees and shrubs look similar to Silver Lake. Amazing how they thrive despite the soil being so sandy, very different than the dunes in the desert climates.

Last edited by Mr.T; 08-04-2022 at 12:07 PM.
Old 08-05-2022, 12:41 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Thanks! My 3.8L is approaching 300K miles and I plan to put a reman in. But appreciate the detail you provide in your post about your work. Good job! My biggest worry is the electrical that will be touched. The cheap engine loom falls apart when touched. And I don't think the connectors used are much better (I come from an avionics background in USAF, where the standards for durability were significantly higher that typical US automobile.). I'd love to replace the harness, but all I can find are used ones on eBay. How were your wiring and connectors? I have some high temp split loom* and some quality tapes to repair the cheap plastic loom.

*This is the same stuff used in my Gladiator, so I guess Jeep realized that their earlier product was crap. And that's one (good!) reason newer Jeeps cost more.

Quick Reply: Result of hydrolocking...