Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Relocate radiator?

Old 12-28-2010, 06:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Relocate radiator?

Has anyone relocated their radiator to be able to mount their winch behind the grille? I looked at it last night and it doesn't seem that hard to do but just curious if it's been done so I can learn from other mistakes. Pictures would be great if there are any. Thanks.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:03 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's an interesting idea but with so many existing winch plates and bumpers readily available, and reliable waterproof winches I'm curious what is your purpose of moving it to behind the grill ?

Are you thinking of moving the rad higher so it's positioned above or to the side of the winch, or going full-out desert racer style and relocating the radiator to the rear ?
Old 12-28-2010, 10:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

This is what I did for my rear bumper. It's not the best picture to show it but I cut the cross member off and trimmed the rails back so my bumper extends ~1.5" off the body. It's made from a 1/4" C-Channel with 3/16" to cap the ends. I like the look of the bumper being somewhat flush with the body.

This is the Rockster project. I've never found a photo showing what they did or if they ever mounted a winch but the front bumper is kind of what I'm planning to build.

This is how I plan to mount mine... I'm thinking about using something more secure than C-clamps on mine.

Last edited by JKG8R; 12-28-2010 at 10:46 AM.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:53 AM
JK Freak

hey why not move the radiator to the top of the motor and cut a hole in the hood?\

make it look kinda like a humvee
Old 12-28-2010, 11:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by warlord
hey why not move the radiator to the top of the motor and cut a hole in the hood?\

I may try that after I do the full Hummer conversion kit.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:28 AM
JK Newbie

Think They meant HMMWV, not humvee. But the HMMWV's radiators are set above teh engine at an angle.
Old 12-28-2010, 12:32 PM
JK Freak

i know you all have a thing against hummers

but to me the h1 is still a fine piece of equipment, h2 and h3 can suck mt gooch tho.

im willing to wheel with any offroad vehicle regardless of make.

and the more we can get along with these other breeds rather than just compete over which one is better, then the better this sport will be for everyone
Old 12-29-2010, 04:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

I too would never dog an H1. They are the best at what they were designed to do. I don't think their radiator design or cutting a hole in the top of my hood would work very well in my application. I get enough mud up front as is and a lot of days I come home with a couple of inches of mud sitting on top of the hood.

It looks like I can fab a couple of brackets and shorten the hoses to move it back 4-6". I also think I'll need to do something with the sway bar frame mounts but I'm not sure what until I start cutting and get the winch plate bolted in place. I've burned most of my vacation time so it may have to wait a few weeks since I need to drive it to work every day. I'll take pictures when I get started if anyone is interested.

By the way, I wheel with Toyota's, Scouts, Bronco's and Sami's and 90% of the vehicles capability is sitting in the driver seat. That doesn't stop me from talking trash when I go over or through something that someone else can't. : )

Last edited by JKG8R; 12-29-2010 at 04:21 AM.
Old 12-29-2010, 05:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by warlord

booooooooooooooooooooooo!
Old 01-08-2011, 07:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

I like how that winch on the silver jk is shoved back into the frame rails. I'm getting read to start my front bumper build and this is giving me some great ideas.

Quick Reply: Relocate radiator?