Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Rear Pinch weld seam cut mod!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-23-2009, 07:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BiGEN
i got a 6" LA with 37's.. i have no rubbing problem at full flex..
Same lift + some more and step up to 40's and you'll rub....

Before & after (for now)....

Old 08-02-2009, 07:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cut mine. Didn't paint it. Didn't weld it. So far the body has not fallen off after 6 months with it cut.

Oh yeah, I am running wheel spacers too.

I am just asking for trouble.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:15 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont see how cutting off the pinch seam would cause the body to fall apart.... it is spot welded all the way up on both sides.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Exactly. I was joking about the nay sayers on cutting the body.

Last edited by rob7765; 08-02-2009 at 01:07 PM.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

I don't have a reciprocating saw and don't want to take the wheels off. Could the seam be cut with a Dremel and one of it's cutting wheels? If so, what type of cutting wheel? I would also like to Dremel some of the Rubi rails off, too. What do you guys think?
Old 09-15-2009, 03:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Waiting
I don't have a reciprocating saw and don't want to take the wheels off. Could the seam be cut with a Dremel and one of it's cutting wheels? If so, what type of cutting wheel? I would also like to Dremel some of the Rubi rails off, too. What do you guys think?
Nope....I tried this on both the pinch seam and the rails and FAILED!! The metal isn't really that thick on the pinch seam but there's alot of it. Meaning I made several cuts as I did it once and thought I needed to take more off....so then I cut it again....and again. The metal on the Rubi rails is thick as heck and there is no way a dremmel could last.

Go to Harbor Freight and pick up a $15 4.5" grinder. Then grab a 10 pack of $5 4.5" metal cut-off wheels. I went through 4 of them cutting my seam and rails.

I had already cut some of the driver's side seam away before I finished it in these pics. What you see on the passenger side was natural bending from the tire smacking it all the time off-road. I still don't think I am done cutting the seam yet but more trial & error to come....

Passenger before & after....

Driver before & after....

Old 09-15-2009, 06:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Wow. Thanks for the info, JPTwinz. But, I'm stubborn so I might try to use a Dremel Tungsten Carbide Cutter. It's bit # is 9903. They say it can be used on hardened steel and cast iron. If I get any hint that the Dremel is going to fry, I'll pick up a grinder, like you said.
Old 09-16-2009, 04:46 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Waiting
Wow. Thanks for the info, JPTwinz. But, I'm stubborn so I might try to use a Dremel Tungsten Carbide Cutter. It's bit # is 9903. They say it can be used on hardened steel and cast iron. If I get any hint that the Dremel is going to fry, I'll pick up a grinder, like you said.
If you already have all the parts then worth a try, but dont bother if you need to purchase it for this purpose only, Dremel are not made with enough ummphh for this job. I'd suggest you whip the wheel off, bash the pinch seam back with a hammer (in earlier threads) and quickly spray with a rust protector, 10mins max
Old 09-16-2009, 06:44 AM
JK Newbie

this is why man mad the BFH

i also find that most tires are will self clearance the body for ya
Old 09-16-2009, 07:21 AM
JK Freak

took off rails and tires, Cut rail 2" off and pinch seam with a cutting wheel.... grinded smooth, and painted with undercoating... whole process less than 20 mins

Before :

And of course AFTER

Quick Reply: Rear Pinch weld seam cut mod!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!