Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Real quick and simple hood lock

Old 11-01-2011, 03:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Real quick and simple hood lock

I wanted a hood lock but was not real happy with the choices that I saw. I decided I would take a look and see if I could make something. I simply welded a washer on to the stock hood latch so I could run a lock through it.
Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-11-01 14.05.16.jpg
Views:	622
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	231480
I sprayed it with some spray paint let it dry and then put it back on the hood. I tightened the bolt back down then tack welded so it is not easily removed. Closed the hood and ran my lock through the latch.

Name:	2011-11-01 15.55.14.jpg
Views:	603
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	231482
Lastly I put some adhesive back Velcro on the lock and the underside of the radiator support so the lock does not bang into the radiator.

Name:	2011-11-01 15.55.54.jpg
Views:	571
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	231483
I am sure this won't keep out someone who is determined to get in, but maybe it will be enough for them to look for an easier target.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Looks good but would be kinda difficult to access for those of us with the Grille Mesh
Old 11-01-2011, 03:47 PM
JK Newbie

I like, and will be doing it.
Old 11-02-2011, 04:00 AM
JK Freak

Location: Independence and Lexington, KY (depends on the time of year)

Do people actually steal stuff from under the hood? I've never heard of this happening, so I'd appreciate being enlightened on the topic
Old 11-02-2011, 04:25 AM
JK Super Freak

Gotta love the low cost solutions.. I second the disappointment that the grill mess will get in the way..

You didn't mention which Velcro you used.. anything but the uber-heavy duty stuff will yield to the heat and weight of the lock. But that's easy to tweak.

Originally Posted by Gforce!
Do people actually steal stuff from under the hood? I've never heard of this happening, so I'd appreciate being enlightened on the topic
Here in NY, anything and everything is vulnerable to being stolen. Can't tell you how many times I have come back to the JK to find the hood latches undone.
Old 11-02-2011, 05:03 AM
JK Freak

Oh gotchya. Thanks for the info! I live in Kentucky, so there are a lot of Jeeps running around and pretty much everyone leaves you alone. Probably a good thing, since most of us pack heat :thumbsup;
Old 11-02-2011, 08:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

If someone tries to steal your car they can unhook the battery and disable your car alarm too.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:28 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by brutalvette

If someone tries to steal your car they can unhook the battery and disable your car alarm too.
Oh dang. That's not a good thing. I know there are aftermarket hood locks, but do they work well enough that someone can't just lop it off with a hammer?
Old 11-04-2011, 04:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

wondered this too.... I take for granted that I generally can leave my top off unattended for days and have no fear that anything will be taken from it... guess better safe than sorry...
Old 11-04-2011, 06:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by BoxingAdvisor
wondered this too.... I take for granted that I generally can leave my top off unattended for days and have no fear that anything will be taken from it... guess better safe than sorry...
Yeah, hate to say it but leaving JK with the doors off, or roof down is asking for it. No question if something even mildly worth taking is in sight, it will take a walk.

Sad to say.

I've had a few opportunities to get half doors and tube doors and I've decided against it because I know without a Tuffy security deck or the like, anything worth taking will be gone.

Quick Reply: Real quick and simple hood lock