Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

A real gas pedal....

Old 10-01-2009, 06:44 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A real gas pedal....

I have a buddy who is big into mopar stuff...when I mean big, I'm talking turbo charging an Omni. His family owns the local chrysler dealership, and he's always had his hands in some pretty neat, although crazy, ideas (he did turbo charge an omni). When I first bought my JK he asked me what I thought of the new throttle body with the fly by wire computer controled bs under the hood, I said i didn't much care for it and the subject kind of died. The other day he came to me with a pretty interesting idea using an older chyrsler minivan. His idea was to take an older chrysler minivan with a true human controled throttle cable and swap it in the JK, besides having control of the motor rather then the computer doing it, I'd gain an aluminum intake and alittle bigger throttle body which, probably not much, would give me more umph. I trust in his logic, but was wondering what you all thought. I can't imagine it would be too hard the intake bolt pattern matches up the sensor ports are all there, the only fab work would be replacing the gas pedal and running a wire. My only concern is what would the computer do??? Let me know what you think.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Call me crazy, but I wouldn't do it. First of all the later variable intake manifold design that we have is supposed to increase HP. Also, EVERYTHING, on our Jeeps is controlled by the PCM. If it didn't get a signal from the electronic TB, then probably nothing would work right. Do you have any warranty coverage left? That would be shot to hell too.
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong...

If you don't like the throttle mapping, get a flashpaq. One of the best things about it is the improved throttle response.
Old 10-02-2009, 06:57 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Atl JK
Call me crazy, but I wouldn't do it. First of all the later variable intake manifold design that we have is supposed to increase HP. Also, EVERYTHING, on our Jeeps is controlled by the PCM. If it didn't get a signal from the electronic TB, then probably nothing would work right. Do you have any warranty coverage left? That would be shot to hell too.
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong...

If you don't like the throttle mapping, get a flashpaq. One of the best things about it is the improved throttle response.
Yep your right! I think your going to open a huge can of worms...
Old 10-02-2009, 05:08 PM
JK Junkie

Way more trougble than it's worth. There are many "man throttles" that are electric...M5? M3? Corvette? etc, etc..it works just fine, and i believe also takes the job of the idle control valve? I haven't looked at my JK so that could be wrong, but if it's true, you'll need to come up with something to control the idle rpm...(screw that!)

Get a tuner to help control it a little more responsive. Diving into that project is not worth it (in my opinion)
Old 10-02-2009, 05:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Like everyone else... Maling a big mistake. I am sure the tricked out Omni was initially a science project. Do you want your own personal JK to be his next science project?
Old 10-02-2009, 06:11 PM
JK Junkie

X ten or whatever. A chip'll take care of any throttle lag you're encountering.
Old 10-02-2009, 06:17 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Robb-52h
Like everyone else... Maling a big mistake. I am sure the tricked out Omni was initially a science project. Do you want your own personal JK to be his next science project?
Didn't omni's come turbo from the factory anyway? lol The OBD 1/old EFI cars are not to be compared with the newer electronics like our JK. I don't think you'll find anyone that thinks it's a good idea...
Old 10-02-2009, 10:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought that too when I first read the thread. I'm pretty sure that the omni, or at least one of its siblings with the same drivetrain did. That would make it a pretty straight forward upgrade.
Old 10-03-2009, 05:55 AM
JK Junkie

It's a great idea. No it's not.
Old 10-03-2009, 09:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'd have to agree that it probably isn't worth it. If you are manually moving the trottle blade the PCM will have no idea what is going on and probably go into limp home mode. The best bet for better throttle responce would be a programmer. The delay you get between the pedal and throttle body is pretty much all software related. If you are really determined to do it talk to a shop that specialized in tuning newer computer controlled cars and see what the pros have to say about it.

Last edited by overmanjh; 10-03-2009 at 09:12 AM.

Quick Reply: A real gas pedal....