Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Rancho Rear bumper with tire carrier

Old 01-19-2010, 03:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rancho Rear bumper with tire carrier

Just curious if anyone has this rear bumper with tire carrier. Could you post some pics if you have it. Also i dont like the fact that it doesnt have any rear tow hooks. Am I missing something. The main reason I am looking at this rear bumper is because of price. I am open to all options for rear bumpers in this price range.

Thanks
Chris
Old 01-19-2010, 03:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Check this link out. https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ho+rear+bumper

There are some pictures and opinions for you to help you decide what to do.
Old 01-19-2010, 03:31 PM
JK Junkie

Modified the handle to sit flush and not below the tab so it won't fly off on the rocks, learned that the first wheelin' trip. Modified the Hi-Lift studs to 1/2"-13 grade-8s so I can readily buy hardware for it.
Old 01-19-2010, 03:46 PM
JK Freak

Me Likey!!!!....I am all for basic looks...I gotta get this with the front one too
Old 01-19-2010, 08:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Suffolk JK

Modified the handle to sit flush and not below the tab so it won't fly off on the rocks, learned that the first wheelin' trip. Modified the Hi-Lift studs to 1/2"-13 grade-8s so I can readily buy hardware for it.
I like what you did with the pin as well as the jack positioning. Does yours rattle? Mine rattles like crazy, so temporarily I've placed a rubber bushing between the swing out and the frame mounted steel, and have to push real hard to get it to close enough to get the pin in. It's a pain in the butt, but a temp fix for now so as not to listen to the excessive rattling. My pin also bounced around and rattled until I put some foam gasketing on the underside, but now it doesn't ever since I started using the bushing. I think I'm going to permanently mount the bushing and fab up some sort of different latch system to hold it nice and tight.

Overall, for the price (paid ~$300 used), it's a great and functional bumper/tire carrier. Wouldn't mind having some corner protection, but I'll end up fabricating some corners when I get the time.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have mine and other than the hole for the pin not lining up and requiring some drilling it has been great for 8 months now. The hitch-pin closure is a PITA sometimes and mounting the hi-lift the way it normally does (NOT LIKE THE PICTURE ABOVE) does not allow your tailgate to open fully.
BUT - I paid less than HALF of what other bumpers would cost and it does the job that I wanted it to. Can't really complain that much.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Piece of crap

I have spent an entire day installing this bumper. Not only do none of the parts fit right, but it was shipped with damage all over it. The packaging was fine, but once you open it, you can see they tossed it around before putting it in the box.

The bushings for the bumper swivel are too big and need to be sized. The swivel crush rod doesn't fit inside the bushings. I've been banging it for hours trying to get it in. I can't wait to return it and buy another brand. There is a reason it is the cheapest bumper out there for oversized tires... NO ENGINEERING went into this.

DO NOT BUY THE RANCHO BUMPER!!
Old 03-05-2010, 08:27 AM
JK Freak

How's that pin going?? Do you have any sag in the tire carrier????? That's a good idea
Old 03-05-2010, 04:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

This product could be much better with just a little more focus on quality from Rancho. I find the powder coating and weld quality to be pretty damn good, but the design and overall construction is not. I understand the price is low, but that's no excuse for overlooking many of this bumper's flaws.

I had to do a lot more drilling and some additional bending to get things straightened properly to make the tire carrier fit. Additionally, if Rancho hired someone who was a little more competent in AutoCAD, they probably could've pulled this bumper off without requiring any drilling whatsoever. I wouldn't be surprised if whoever designed this thing has never owned a Jeep. One of the mounting sections of the bumper doesn't line up exactly with one of the holes on the frame. Instead of simply moving that mount over to align it properly, they actually tell you to drill the existing hole larger. Drilling new holes? I'm okay with that. But having to tweak an existing one because of lazy design work is a little ridiculous.

The final product, when you've finished doing Rancho's quality control job for them, looks great. I like the simplicity of the bumper. However, I should not have to spend extra time straightening brackets or fixing holes. I saw that Rancho themselves responded in another thread about some concerns with quality. I think they need to readdress those concerns.

A lot of people frown upon the lack of coverage on the tub corners, but I find the greater exposure of the rear suspension to make the Jeep look more rugged, especially if you're sporting a lift and some beefy shocks. Besides, any weld shop can put together some small corner guards quickly and easily.

It ain't bad for $400, but again, that's no excuse for the numerous problems that could've been ironed out by simply "checking your work." I could've spent $1xxx on something bigger and nicer, but I really don't feel the need to drop that kinda cash on a bumper. I plan on beating the hell out of my Jeep again this summer and I'm curious to see how this thing holds up.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

This is the worst bumper ever - rattle city.

Quick Reply: Rancho Rear bumper with tire carrier