Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Ram Air Scoop is on for my AEV Snorkle..Pic.s

Old 07-26-2008, 09:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good can't wait to see what ya did to make it.
Old 07-26-2008, 09:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I then took the 3" PVC pipe and cut off the section I wanted.
You'll notice the slots I had to put into the end. This way you can tighten it down like the pre-filter

This is what it will look like put together: You're building a model for the fiberglass.

You will now remove the PVC pipe and wrap the styrofoam in Foil. Smooth it out the best you can. The less wrinkels the better.
Now spray the foil with cooking spray. This will make it easier to get the fiberglass to release from the foil.
Place the foam upside down and set the PVC on top so it's sticking straight up in the air.
Now mix your fiberglass resin. Spread the resin over small cut strips of fiberglass cloth and lay them on the foil and the PVC.
Just build the bottom for now and let it dry.
Once it's fairly dry, you can turn it right side up and finish fiberglassing the entire thing.
*****Make sure you leave the area where air would enter, untouched (no fiberglass. THis will also allow you a place to pop the styrofoam out******

Cont................

Last edited by VBS4; 07-26-2008 at 09:36 PM.
Old 07-26-2008, 09:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

I would suggest putting at least 3 layers of cloth on it.
I would then let it completely dry over night.

The next morning, rip off all the foil and expose the styrofoam at the air entry point.
Push a screwdriver up the PVC pipe, into the styrofoam and push the styrofoam out the air intake.
The foil will remain inside. Just pull all that out next.

Now trim the rough edges around the intake

I would then wrap fiberglass from the inside to the outside. This will give you a nice rounded edge.

Also, lay fiberglass from the inside, down into the PVC pipe.

You will notice that the fiberglass outer is rough and wavy. This is not a problem. We'll fix that.

Take 80 grit sandpaper and sand the fiberglass, giving it a rough texture.
Now mix your bondo and smooth it over the fiberglass. You don't want it to thick or the bondo will crack.

Now sand the bondo down

Just remember, the bondo is only used to fill in imperfections and wavy areas.

Rinse off all the dust.
Let it dry

Apply what ever primer and color you want.

Thats it.....lol

Good luck

Last edited by VBS4; 07-26-2008 at 09:30 PM.
Old 07-26-2008, 10:33 PM
JK Newbie

Default awesome...

You got skills... pretty good idea and it looks really good too; the only part I did not like about the AEV snorkel was the pre-filter but now you solved that problem... Good job...
Old 07-26-2008, 10:43 PM
JK Freak

Looks great!

I was thinking of this setup but haven't because:

1. The AEV hood is fugly,

2. The prefilter is fuglier.

You don't have either of those problems....good stuff. Is your hood stock, slightly modified? How did you do it?

Cheers
Old 07-26-2008, 10:43 PM
Fallen Hero

I am not a big snorkel fan but great write up!
Old 07-27-2008, 02:50 AM
JK Jedi

Looks good. Do you notice any difference in driving it with the new intake?
Old 07-27-2008, 05:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

I am impressed. Great write up!!!! Thanks. This mod just moved to the top of my list!!!!
Old 07-27-2008, 07:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

x a billion looks good, and i am also wondering about driving stuff, yea i am local to ya when will mine be ready for pick,,,,lol
Old 07-27-2008, 07:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks everyone!
This is what happens when I'm bored at home...hahahaha I start looking for things to do, and this seemed like a fun project. Plus I just wanted to challenge myself and see if I could do it.

Originally Posted by Brad2893
Looks great!

I was thinking of this setup but haven't because:

1. The AEV hood is fugly,

2. The prefilter is fuglier.

You don't have either of those problems....good stuff. Is your hood stock, slightly modified? How did you do it?

Cheers
2. AEV is coming out with their own "Ram Air Scoop" but it's going to be a while before it's released. Probably not until this fall or winter. I just didn't want to wait, so I built my own.

Yes, I'm using the stock hood. The AEV snorkle comes with everything you need (except tools) to install it on the stock hood.
You just use the template given, cut it out, prime/paint the hood and install it. That's really it

Originally Posted by pearl-drum-man
Looks good. Do you notice any difference in driving it with the new intake?
I just made the scoop so I don't have much drive time with it. It could just be me, but it seemed to have a little better pick-up than with the pre-filter.
I'm planning on doing a lot of testing with the pre-filter and scoop. I already have a base line with stock.
Since my job just retired me this week (retired at 35 ), I have plenty of time to get some seat time in.....lol
The jeep club I belong to is taking a trip to Uwharrie on the 8th of Aug so I'll get to test it there also

Last edited by VBS4; 07-27-2008 at 07:40 AM.

Quick Reply: Ram Air Scoop is on for my AEV Snorkle..Pic.s