Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Question about some schools. direction to start in?

Old 06-07-2012, 05:14 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Question about some schools. direction to start in?

Wondering if any of you guys might know of any good schools in the Eastern PA area. I don't really know of any direction I'm trying to go really right now. I'm looking for some kind of school that would have classes in Welding, CNC/ machining, tube bending, maybe some CAD, and well just fabrication in general really. I've tinkered around with it when I was younger and now that I've been medically discharged from my first career in the army after 9 years and have worked in an office long enough to know that it's not my thing I'm on the search for a new career. I've looked and looked and can't really find anything around Philly but i'm not from around here and don't really know where to look. Well nothing that is accepted by the GI Bill anyways.

I'd appreciate any info anyone might have or insight into a way to start.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:07 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe an apprenticeship with a company? If you are planning to pay for school, a low wage in exchange for learning wouldn't be too bad... To convince a business owner of the benefit is the challenge...
Old 06-08-2012, 03:26 AM
JK Newbie

Thought about that but my school is 100% paid for no matter where I go.
Old 06-09-2012, 06:13 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am on the west coast but i got my welding and fabrication career started at a comunity college. The classes are inexpensive and if you check around i am sure there is one that offers all of the clasees you are looking for. We have several in the Los Angeles area that have top notch teachers straight from the industry.
Old 06-09-2012, 06:29 AM
JK Newbie

I've looked into that but close to no schools around philly offer welding. Well none that the to bill has approved and like none offer fab. I've been thinking I might have to relocate to a diff state to get this done which I don't really have a prob with really sense I'm not a native to pa lol.
Old 06-09-2012, 07:05 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rick77
I've looked into that but close to no schools around philly offer welding. Well none that the to bill has approved and like none offer fab. I've been thinking I might have to relocate to a diff state to get this done which I don't really have a prob with really sense I'm not a native to pa lol.
Check into wyotech, I see there commercials on tv all the time. I bet they have one near you?
Old 06-09-2012, 08:15 AM
JK Junkie

Pennsylvania college of technology? Williamsport pa
Old 06-09-2012, 08:23 AM
JK Freak

If I were to start all over again I would be taking IT or something in the oil business...most of them have it made!
Old 06-09-2012, 01:47 PM
JK Newbie

I work in the eagle ford shale in south Texas with Chesapeake energy. you should look into working Flowback they make like 150k a year starting and its really easy/ outdoor work
Old 06-09-2012, 01:58 PM
JK Newbie

Dam that's some good money. I'll have to scope that out. Guess it depends if I'd like it or not. I'd just rather do something I like and make no money then something I hate and make allot of money.

Quick Reply: Question about some schools. direction to start in?