Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Put my winch on

Old 09-18-2010, 10:53 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Put my winch on

Originally Posted by jjmmagoo
That looks great however I have a few questions, I am looking to replace my front bumper. I really like the Rugged Ridge bumper. I don't think I need a winch. I know RR makes one without the winch plate, does anybody have any pics showing what that looks like, also how long did it take you to install? Is this something you would recomend to somebody who is not really that handy?

Thanks and your Jeep looks awesome!!
Save yourself the money and so it yourself. I put my LoD stubby on by myself in about 2 hours. Very simple!
Old 09-18-2010, 11:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

That looks great however I have a few questions, I am looking to replace my front bumper. I really like the Rugged Ridge bumper. I don't think I need a winch. I know RR makes one without the winch plate, does anybody have any pics showing what that looks like, also how long did it take you to install? Is this something you would recomend to somebody who is not really that handy?

Thanks and your Jeep looks awesome!!
Thanks! It is very easy 2 install u just need a couple wrenches the hardest part is gettin rid of the plastic shit that's stock..there's a bunch of those plastic rivets holdin things in place n after a couple mins of tryin 2 pull 1 out i grabbed a pair of cutters n snipped all of them n pushed the nub out wit a screwdriver..it only took me an hour but i am fortunate 2 have a buddy whos family owns a garage n they let me use it 4 free..that same bumper comes in a non winch it looks the exact same just completely solid in the middle..hope that helped!
Old 09-18-2010, 11:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RAINSTATEBEAR
Nice look, and good price as well. Why did you go with the stuby?
I personally love the stubby look its more agressive n if u have nice tires it shows them off more n gives more clearance! They just came out wit new storage end caps that have a locking lid n i think those r pretty cool but they cost almost as much as the stubby bumper itself n that's ridiculous
Old 09-21-2010, 04:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by batherton87
Thanks! It is very easy 2 install u just need a couple wrenches the hardest part is gettin rid of the plastic shit that's stock..there's a bunch of those plastic rivets holdin things in place n after a couple mins of tryin 2 pull 1 out i grabbed a pair of cutters n snipped all of them n pushed the nub out wit a screwdriver..it only took me an hour but i am fortunate 2 have a buddy whos family owns a garage n they let me use it 4 free..that same bumper comes in a non winch it looks the exact same just completely solid in the middle..hope that helped!
WOW, Awesome. Silly question, what about the air-bags? I think I could do this just lack confidence and time. Also what about the fog lights? I have HIDs on the existing setup but would like to keep them. Thanks for your help!!!
Old 09-21-2010, 05:06 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by batherton87
I personally love the stubby look its more agressive n if u have nice tires it shows them off more n gives more clearance! They just came out wit new storage end caps that have a locking lid n i think those r pretty cool but they cost almost as much as the stubby bumper itself n that's ridiculous

I went with the end caps to stay legal in MA. Not that anyone gets pinched for not having full coverage but my wife kind of made the decision for me...good news is that the end caps can come off when I go off-roading. They are held on by 3 bolts on each side. Two are very easy to get off and one is a pita but doable with a little effort.

Question for the OP...I have a similar setup but went with the Smittybilt XRC-10. With the solenoid mounted on top and the bull bar facing outward, I cannot access my plug (i.e. not enough to plug in the remote). I ended up turning the bar around to face in. Did you have that issue with yours? Its hard to tell from the pics. I know the Smitty winched and RR winches are basically the same so that is why I am asking.

Also, I had to grind down the two bolts that hold on the farilead as they stuck too far in making it impossible to mount the winch in the correct holes. Not sure if you had that issue as well or if its because I went with the 10,000 pound winch....

anyway, here is what mine looks like for reference with the end caps..and yes...I have synthetic line but the Smitty lines are grey rather than blue. No idea why!

Old 09-21-2010, 10:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

WOW, Awesome. Silly question, what about the air-bags? I think I could do this just lack confidence and time. Also what about the fog lights? I have HIDs on the existing setup but would like to keep them. Thanks for your help!!!
Air bags aren't affected in any way n wit the fog lights they r simple the housing is held in wit screws in the stock bumper just remove them n it comes rite out n the rr bumper uses 4 nuts n bolts that r extremely small so hopefully u have the rite size wrench n i have the hids as well do u have the setup that both bulbs have a ground n the 1 connects 2 the battery..that's wat i have n everything stays the same just have 2 find a different ground placement
Old 09-21-2010, 10:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mpkelley20
I went with the end caps to stay legal in MA. Not that anyone gets pinched for not having full coverage but my wife kind of made the decision for me...good news is that the end caps can come off when I go off-roading. They are held on by 3 bolts on each side. Two are very easy to get off and one is a pita but doable with a little effort.

Question for the OP...I have a similar setup but went with the Smittybilt XRC-10. With the solenoid mounted on top and the bull bar facing outward, I cannot access my plug (i.e. not enough to plug in the remote). I ended up turning the bar around to face in. Did you have that issue with yours? Its hard to tell from the pics. I know the Smitty winched and RR winches are basically the same so that is why I am asking.

Also, I had to grind down the two bolts that hold on the farilead as they stuck too far in making it impossible to mount the winch in the correct holes. Not sure if you had that issue as well or if its because I went with the 10,000 pound winch....

anyway, here is what mine looks like for reference with the end caps..and yes...I have synthetic line but the Smitty lines are grey rather than blue. No idea why!

Awesome post yes i had the same problems..for the problems wit the plug n which way the bar faces rr is awesome enough 2 include an angled mounting bracket just for that reason..if u look at my pics the box is tilted forward rather than laying flat n that gives me the room 2 have the bar face foward n still b able 2 plug in the remote n the problem wit the bolts that hold on the fairlead i had the same issue so the size or make of the winch must not matter..i mounted the winch b4 putting on the fairlead so i could use the correct mounting position then wen i put on the fairlead i tightened it up n the bolts dig into the winch frame so i drilled into it a small amount where it was already marked so the bolts actually go into the winch frame a lil bit n i figured doing it that way made everything fit rite n that should make it an even more solid mount
Old 10-31-2010, 07:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Had a few posts on my thread from when i did the bumper and i never updated it with pics once i did the winch i just gave it its own thread so im givin it a bump for you guys to check it out with the winch!

Quick Reply: Put my winch on