Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Pro's and Con's

Old 01-21-2010, 06:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i can weld with both but i do prefer mig cause it is easier to use. it is however harder to learn to do correctly and much more expensive. many mig welds look great but are a horrible weld. penetration is way less a lot of times cause you go to fast. i wouldn't weld anything over 1/4 in with a 110 mig for the guy that got one for 50. your 220 stick should be good for much more. start off with a 7018 rod and work on a piece of 1/4 mild steel. just make 10 straight lines by the 10th line you will be much better. then move to putting 2 of the same size metal pieces together. remember slow and steady. don't watch your rod lol watch the melted pool and make it follow were you want to go.

there are many books out there and i would recommend you get a basic one and read it. learning the settings is the hardest part and once you dial in your welder with the different sizes and types of metal you will be good. take your practice stuff over to a shop and let them tell you if it is good penetration and what to look for.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:02 PM
JK Freak

The Miller web site has some great resources for learning welding. I took a class at the local college, and the instructor took most of his stuff from there. I got a great deal on a very nice welder from Craigslist.....once I started using it, it opened up all kinds of possibilities. That was one of the best purchases I ever made..

However, Once you get a welder and plasma cutter, people just start showing up at your house.

I definitely would not weld your suspension until you have really mastered your mig. I wouldn't use stick on that either as that flying debris will land all over stuff in your engine.

You are going to have to cut off the old upper suspenion mounts, be sure to have a plasma cutter or a lot of time with a grinder.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That's awesome MK...I had just picked myself up a 220 Lincoln stick welder a couple weeks ago and started figuring it out...it's the vertical welds that I just can't get right...
If you do decide to weld your coilovers on, please post pics
Old 03-09-2010, 10:20 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just gotta get coilovers now. The 220 my dad gave me is f'd up, I think I may just buy a mig this week .
Old 03-09-2010, 10:44 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mkjeep
I just gotta get coilovers now. The 220 my dad gave me is f'd up, I think I may just buy a mig this week .
What kinda sucks is that I could afford front coilovers right now but not the mig or to have them installed. Or I could buy the mig and just practice till I can get the coilovers.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:14 PM
JK Freak

mkjeep....buy the welder bigger than you think you will need. Welders are are like lifts, you always wish you had a little more.

Quick Reply: Pro's and Con's