Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Pro's and Con's

Old 01-08-2010, 11:36 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Pro's and Con's

OK, I seriously want to go with a coilover kit on the front of my JK. Undecided if I want weld on or bolt on. Do you still have to cut the stock oem mounts off for the bolt-ons?
Old 01-08-2010, 01:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 426 HemiJK
I haven't got mine yet but as near as I can tell from my research it looks as if you do.
I think EVO has made their kit so that it can be bolted on or welded on with the same kit. Your choice same kit either way.
I'm sure someone like Eddie will confirm or correct me shortly.
"Weld-On and Bolt-on systems available"...looked at ORE web site. this is for the front.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:15 PM
JK Jedi Master

Eh, real question, tryin to get feedback from peeps that have either or. I can't weld, so I'm thinkin bolt-on. But, I kinda wanna get a welder and learn myself. I'm debating the price of having to pay someone to weld, me buying a welder, or doing bolt on. I know if I buy a welder, I'll have it always, but just debating. Hey, I'm a mod but don't know crap about coilovers.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a welder and any sus. stuff I do like that I weld. Buying welder can pay for itself in the long run. With a welder, grinder, and tube bender you can make your own bumpers, rockers, cage, etc. with your own designs. The posabilities are nearly endless with these three tools.

If you want to do further projects, buy the welder now and you wont regret it...
If your on a budget, go for the bolt on.

just my .02
Old 01-08-2010, 03:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mkjeep
Eh, real question, tryin to get feedback from peeps that have either or. I can't weld, so I'm thinkin bolt-on. But, I kinda wanna get a welder and learn myself. I'm debating the price of having to pay someone to weld, me buying a welder, or doing bolt on. I know if I buy a welder, I'll have it always, but just debating. Hey, I'm a mod but don't know crap about coilovers.
I am in the same boat as you and the install price even through our sponsors can hurt. I know guys that weld good but i still dont know if I would let them weld on my jeep. I would pay someone for the weld on for quality control ie.. screaming lizard or ORE or do the bolt.
I just wonder what the strength differences would be.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:44 PM
JK Freak

Mark, I really wouldn't sweat the weld on kit. Get someone to weld it on. Save the welder money for the rear. Once you go coilovers you won't go back to regular coils again. Trust me, you will never look back. They ride that nice. I have the plain 14" coilovers, and didn't do the fancy Triple Bypass one. It's sweet.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:58 PM
JK Jedi Master

Thanks guy's, this is the type of feedback I was looking for, feel free to keep going, the more I learn about them the better.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:19 PM
JK Super Freak

I had the coilovers on my Rubicon (sold it to planman) and it was awesome. Great on road/off road ride and provided great articulation. I would not hesitate to get them again if I had the desire to heavily modify another Jeep. I would however make sure you allow an experienced suspension shop/welder do the work. There is a lot to think about when welding, for example the heat and draw of the metals you are welding together.

Last edited by Ctimrun; 01-08-2010 at 04:22 PM.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:27 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by Ctimrun
I had the coilovers on my Rubicon (sold it to planman) and it was awesome. Great on road/off road ride and provided great articulation. I would not hesitate to get them again if I had the desire to heavily modify another Jeep. I would however make sure you allow an experienced suspension shop/welder do the work. There is a lot to think about when welding, for example the heat and draw of the metals you are welding together.
That's the prob I think I'll have around here. I don't trust anyone in this area.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:28 PM
JK Super Freak

on the "buy a welder side" I was able to pick up a fluxcore MIG welder on Craigslist for $50...and it works great, perfect for a learner

Quick Reply: Pro's and Con's