Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Project-JK Gets Off Road Evolution EVO-flex - Part 1: Front Coil Overs

Old 08-27-2008, 08:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by QKSILVER
Anyone willing to advise what it would take to get a Stock Rubicon Unlimited to enjoy this much flex?
I must say that my basic 4 inch franken lift has a lot of flex and would please anyone IMHO. 27.5 inch droop shocks with about 10-11 inches of travel with 35's. It doesnt flex like coilovers but it does flex.

I think it just depends on what you are looking for. But for about 600-700 bucks I came up with a great lift and a great daily driver!
Old 08-27-2008, 09:29 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Eracer76
There is something wrong with that RE LA Jeep then. Either the electronic sway bar is broken and not disconnecting, or maybe it has the wrong shocks, or something is wrong with his install of the kit, but either way that Jeep is NOT flexing like it should!
honestly, i was thinking something along the same lines as well when i saw it. and, looking at his shocks, they did look maxed out or close to it but i was told that he used the shocks that came with the kit. all things considered, that would make sense to me if the shocks were being used as limiting straps - prevent too much droop to preserve the bushings.

Your right, they do ride great on road. But Im guessing the one you road in is the one in the picture above? If so, that would explain why you feel it has no flex, because there is something definitely not right with that LA Jeep compared to the RE short arm pic.
no - i did not ride in the JK shown and have never ridden in one on the trail.

Im speaking from experience too, because I had the RE short arm kit before I upgraded to the long arm kit. I can tell you the LA kit does NOT limit the flex like you make it sound or like your picture shows. Since upgrading, my Jeep flexes much better now and the ride on and off road is better too. The arms are not binding under full flex either, the only thing limiting my flex right now are the shocks, and my coils that come 1/4" out of the seat when flexing.
really? honestly, looking at your photos, i'm not so sure how you could be making this statement. first off, are you using the shocks that came with the kit or are you using something else? while they do look like they allow for more droop, clearly you have to admit that it isn't nearly as much as a 4-link setup could offer. being that you have 35's, i would have thought that your tire should have dropped below the frame or even pinch seam but in this pic, you are well above both. granted, maybe it's just the terrain you were on and given different circumstances, you would have achieved more. certainly, i have seen 37's droop past this point with ease...

also, please don't misunderstand me for pointing this out but, are you aware that your rear tire is not stuffing up into the wheel well and that your driver side shock has about half its lenght still showing? of course, this is to say nothing about the fact that your body is way off balance...

if your suspension were in fact providing good flex, your suspension should allow for enough articulation to stuff your tire up, use up most of the shock lenght and keep your body relatively level. from what i am seeing in your photo, your suspension is binding and that's why everything looks the way it does. now, if you're happy with what you got, that's great, i really am happy for you. my point in bringing any of this up in the first place was to inform people that I (me personally) wouldn't be satisfied with this and would have expected a lot more from a long arm kit. but as i said, this is just me.

Sorry for going a little off topic again, but I just had to stick up for the RE LA kit since the pic above is not a true sign of what it can do.
no apologiese necessary. however, i should point out that the photo i posted shows a jk on 37's, you have 35's. the smaller tires you have will make your flex look like you have more. also, the angle i took this photo not the same as you took yours. i might argue that it would still measure out to being about what i am seeing on your jeep if it were taken the same way and had 35's too. either way, even what i'm seeing in your photos, i'm still not seeing what i personally would expect from a long arm kit and honestly, i think i still see way more flex with my short arms than what you are with your long arms....

keep in mind, these head on shots are of my JK with short arms and even though the camera angle is low, you can still see that the top my 37" tire is sitting at about the pinch seam if not a bit lower.

again, please know this is not personal and i'm not trying to get you to defend the RE kit - i'm just pointing out what i see.

But for now, Im happy with the way it flexes....both pics, all 4 are on the ground
glad to hear it. honestly, if you're happy with it, that's all that really matters
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	eraser76-01.jpg
Views:	1118
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	12264   Click image for larger version

Name:	eraser76-02.jpg
Views:	1502
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	12267  

Last edited by wayoflife; 08-28-2008 at 06:04 AM.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:55 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are there any side effects to all of this flex?
Old 08-28-2008, 10:15 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by QKSILVER
Are there any side effects to all of this flex?
sure - depending on the joints your control arms have, this massive amount of flex may put a lot of stress on them and this can potentially blow them out. so far, the teraflex arms i am using seem to be up to the task but it might be some time before i can tell you what the long term effects are. with the kind of wheeling i do, i wouldn't be surprised if the did go sooner than later but that would be no fault of teraflex especially since their arms weren't specifically designed for the EVO flex. having said all that, a good 4-link long arm kit will reduce this stress.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:17 AM
JK-Forum Founder

in case any of you were interested in some lab test shots, here is my JK up on a 30° RTI ramp - remember, all this was accomplished with short arms ....

with all 4 on the floor baby!!
Old 08-28-2008, 10:57 AM
JK Super Freak

his shots look great for the RE long arm, the shot on the rock looks to be completely off camber, hence why the jeep is not as centered

the design of the RE kit is the best in the way it attaches to the frame, highest clearance possible ( that is very attractive for those of us who dont like to replace crossmembers every season
Old 08-28-2008, 11:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

For a long arm vs long arm comparison, this is a picture of AdamORW's JK with a FT long arm kit. It a very good example of what WOL is trying to articulate.

More info: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-show-tell-33/full-traction-long-arm-kit-action-pics-49840/

If I remember correctly, he is using 14" travel shocks.
Old 08-28-2008, 11:16 AM
JK Super Freak

as great as the full traction lift is,

the relationship of the bottom of the front crossmember and the top of the tire is what should be really looked at here

RE is high clearance, FT is not(in fact probably the lowest clearance kit out there
Old 08-28-2008, 11:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeepik
as great as the full traction lift is,

the relationship of the bottom of the front crossmember and the top of the tire is what should be really looked at here

RE is high clearance, FT is not(in fact probably the lowest clearance kit out there
I definitely agree about the cross member and would also point out the rear lower control arm mounts.
Old 08-28-2008, 12:49 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

and what exactly does the clearance have to do with the flex, droop, or any of the other topic items here?

Quick Reply: Project-JK Gets Off Road Evolution EVO-flex - Part 1: Front Coil Overs