Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Project-JK Gets Off Road Evolution EVO-flex - Part 1: Front Coil Overs

Old 08-27-2008, 12:38 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by TSmith0820
Since the lower arms of my RE kit are fixed should I stick with my plan of getting a long arm kit first? Keep in mind they are longer than the stock arms by a little bit.
unless you are willing to buy a new set of adjustable control arms, i would recommend going long arm.

Second, isn't the major limit factor of the RE long arm kit the short shocks they include with the kit. My short arm kit came with rear shocks that were shorter than the ones Teraflex includes with the 2.5 BB lift I had.
but, why purposefully package a kit with short shocks to begin with? Is it because RE knows you won't be able to get anymore droop anyway or, are they trying to use them as limiting straps to help prevent strain on the control arm mounts?

I'd like to see the RE and FT long arm kits side by side with the same shocks.
if someone with an RE kit and is local to me is willing to do this, this might be something that can be done.

I have a hard time understanding 4 mounting points being less likely to bind than 2.
perhaps it's something you have to see, but do you understand what bind is and why it occurs? your control arms do more than just move up and down in a straight line but rather, they want rotate and move side to side as well. by eliminating the upper control arms (what a radius arm setup will do), you are effectively taking what was a 3 dimensional box that had moveable joints at each corners and are making it into a 2 dimensional plane that offers about as much tortional flex as a sheet of plywood. does that make sense?
Old 08-27-2008, 12:40 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by chuck45
I would love to see the complete interview. Thanks!
Complete interview can now be found here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40RReTuJJto

Originally Posted by PONCH
Does this kit also work with a Piggy Back?
so long as the person giving the piggy back doesn't mind having brackets welded on to them, sure, i'll bet it works

Originally Posted by matto0
Wow thats nuts - I also forget that the Rubi's have those push button discos.

Matt
funny thing is, it's maybe the one feature that i thought i would care less about but am so glad that i have it now

Last edited by wayoflife; 08-27-2008 at 01:04 PM.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:49 PM
JK-Forum Founder

back on topic, i should point out that your control arms and the kind of joints they have will offer you more or limit the amount of flex the EVO front coilovers can give you. in other words, if you have factory arms or aftermarket arms with solid rubber or poly bushings on both ends, you flex will be limited to how much the joints can give. likewise, if you have a rod end or assembly joint (joints that are made to rotate) on at least one end like the TeraFlex arms i have on now, the amout of flex you will have will be greatly increased.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:29 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone willing to advise what it would take to get a Stock Rubicon Unlimited to enjoy this much flex?
Old 08-27-2008, 01:36 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by QKSILVER
Anyone willing to advise what it would take to get a Stock Rubicon Unlimited to enjoy this much flex?
good adjustable control arms and probably a front track bar drop bracket, dropped pitman arm, extended brake lines and the off road evolution EVO front coilovers and rear EVO lever system. that's it.

Last edited by wayoflife; 08-27-2008 at 01:39 PM.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:41 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by wayoflife
good adjustable control arms, front track bar drop bracket, dropped pitman arm, extended brake lines and the off road evolution EVO front coilovers and rear EVO lever system. that's it.
hahhaha you make it sound so easy! Ok... I guess the hardest part is the hit to your check book, but it definitely looks worth it
Old 08-27-2008, 01:44 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by bly109
hahhaha you make it sound so easy! Ok... I guess the hardest part is the hit to your check book, but it definitely looks worth it
LOL!! being that this is one of the few projects that i didn't do myself, it kind of was. definitely the hit to the checkbook was the hardest part but depending on what coilovers you go with, it can be a bit more affordable.... or, then again, it could cost a small fortune
Old 08-27-2008, 01:56 PM
JK Freak

Could my local shop pull this off?
Old 08-27-2008, 02:01 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by a-squared
Could my local shop pull this off?
the rear EVO lever you can definitely do yourself. up front, hacking everything off is easy. the hardest part is finding someone who can do good welding and if your shop can do that, they can definitely pull this off
Old 08-27-2008, 03:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

okay, i just looked through some of our old photos and found this pic of a JK with an RE long arm kit on the trail...

amazingly, this is a JK with an RE short arm kit...

2 JK's on the same rock, one is hanging it's 37" tire and the other planting its 33" tire on the ground. both kits are made by RE - one is just made with radius arms and the other uses a 4-link setup.
There is something wrong with that RE LA Jeep then. Either the electronic sway bar is broken and not disconnecting, or maybe it has the wrong shocks, or something is wrong with his install of the kit, but either way that Jeep is NOT flexing like it should!

On road, it drive great - i have ridden in one on the street and can tell you this from experience. on the trail, it simply has no flex and maybe even less than their own short arm kit.

like you, i couldn't imagine spending that much money and putting that much effort into installing a kit that actually LIMITED my flex. from what i have seen and as you can see in the photos above, their arms start to bind at about 7" of droop. likewise, i can't see how putting this much strain on 2 joints would be a good thing over the long haul. but, to it's credit, it is made well, has a nice finish and does ride nicely on pavement.
Your right, they do ride great on road. But Im guessing the one you road in is the one in the picture above? If so, that would explain why you feel it has no flex, because there is something definitely not right with that LA Jeep compared to the RE short arm pic.

Im speaking from experience too, because I had the RE short arm kit before I upgraded to the long arm kit. I can tell you the LA kit does NOT limit the flex like you make it sound or like your picture shows. Since upgrading, my Jeep flexes much better now and the ride on and off road is better too. The arms are not binding under full flex either, the only thing limiting my flex right now are the shocks, and my coils that come 1/4" out of the seat when flexing.

Sorry for going a little off topic again, but I just had to stick up for the RE LA kit since the pic above is not a true sign of what it can do.

On topic... I hope to someday get the EVO kits and see just how far the my LA kit will flex out before binding.

But for now, Im happy with the way it flexes....both pics, all 4 are on the ground

Last edited by Eracer76; 08-27-2008 at 03:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Project-JK Gets Off Road Evolution EVO-flex - Part 1: Front Coil Overs