Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Project-JK Gets Off Road Evolution EVO-flex - Part 1: Front Coil Overs

Old 08-26-2008, 03:22 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So if your going with a rear coil over also, what part of the original lift kit are you retaining?
Old 08-26-2008, 04:28 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by SuperJeepJK
Thought he was running the Evo Lever......
Same thing
Old 08-26-2008, 05:28 PM
JK Newbie

I may be wrong but isn't the swaybar still connected in the long arm flex pic?

Matt

Originally Posted by wayoflife
okay, i just looked through some of our old photos and found this pic of a JK with an RE long arm kit on the trail...

amazingly, this is a JK with an RE short arm kit...

2 JK's on the same rock, one is hanging it's 37" tire and the other planting its 33" tire on the ground. both kits are made by RE - one is just made with radius arms and the other uses a 4-link setup.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PONCH
So if your going with a rear coil over also, what part of the original lift kit are you retaining?
hehh heh, Other than the arms he isn't retaining much.

Last edited by TYCOON12; 08-26-2008 at 05:37 PM.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by matto0

Matt
He has the Rubi with the Electronic Sway Disco. Looks connected but is released where the sway bar motor is. They don't disconnect like conventional sway bars.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:44 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by HOMEGLASS
Hi,

Not very technically adept. I bought the long-arm because of the MOPAR endorsement of it. Any idea why they (MOPAR) would do that given the limitations you point out? I'm hoping that there is some reason.
depending on who you talk to, i'm sure you will get a different story. what i can tell you is that superlift has had a long tradition of working with mopar and if anyone, one would think that they would have gotten the deal. however, as you know, superlift still does not have a long arm kit and from what i understand, they didn't think a long arm kit was needed for the JK and if this is true, i would tend to agree with them. not that a long arm kit wouldn't be desirable but it really isn't 'needed' per se as the JK already has pretty long arms. again, from what i understand, when mopar put out the word they were looking for a long arm kit for the ORT line, RE was the only company to take them seriously, as they should have and as should have everyone else. ultimately, mopar most like picked RE because of this and the fact that RE does in fact make high quality products. but, just because the quality of their products is good does not mean that the design of their long arm is.... at least, when it come to off road performance. on road, it drive great - i have ridden in one on the street and can tell you this from experience. on the trail, it simply has no flex and maybe even less than their own short arm kit.

Originally Posted by chuck45
I'm glad I didn't drop the dollars on the RE LA kit but got the 3.5" short arm. I understand that the LA kit gives a nice road ride; but I'll be damned if I want to give up that much off road articulation.

RE uses a ball type joint in one end of their arms and a rubber bushing in the other. I've been considering buying ball joint ends, cutting of the bushing ends and welding up ball joint ends. There might be a bit less ride quality and isolation but with agressive tires and 1350 driveshafts I'll bet I'd never notice it.
like you, i couldn't imagine spending that much money and putting that much effort into installing a kit that actually LIMITED my flex. from what i have seen and as you can see in the photos above, their arms start to bind at about 7" of droop. likewise, i can't see how putting this much strain on 2 joints would be a good thing over the long haul. but, to it's credit, it is made well, has a nice finish and does ride nicely on pavement.

Originally Posted by chuck45
I would love to see the complete interview. Thanks!
okay, i will try to get it up as soon as i can.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:49 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by PONCH
pretty much, just the control arms, factory rear track bar and factory rear sway bar. the type of arms and the joints they have will help determine how much flex you will get and so far, the TeraFlex arms that i have really do the job well. as far as the factory componets go, there will be upgrades to them in the future but for now, they are retained and still work quite well.

Originally Posted by SuperJeepJK
Thought he was running the Evo Lever......
yes, i am. we will be doing a part 2 post on this soon - stay tuned

Originally Posted by matto0

Matt
yes, it is but it is also a rubicon. trust me, i asked the driver on multiple occasions to make sure he was disconnected. i myself verified that he was. the lack of droop you see is solely a result of the bind from his radius arms.

Originally Posted by TYCOON12
hehh heh, Other than the arms he isn't retaining much.
nope

Originally Posted by TYCOON12
He has the Rubi with the Electronic Sway Disco. Looks connected but is released where the sway bar motor is. They don't disconnect like conventional sway bars.
exactly
Old 08-26-2008, 06:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Since the lower arms of my RE kit are fixed should I stick with my plan of getting a long arm kit first? Keep in mind they are longer than the stock arms by a little bit. Second, isn't the major limit factor of the RE long arm kit the short shocks they include with the kit. My short arm kit came with rear shocks that were shorter than the ones Teraflex includes with the 2.5 BB lift I had. I'd like to see the RE and FT long arm kits side by side with the same shocks. I have a hard time understanding 4 mounting points being less likely to bind than 2.

Ty

Last edited by TSmith0820; 08-26-2008 at 06:13 PM.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:05 AM
JK Freak

Does this kit also work with a Piggy Back?
Old 08-27-2008, 07:46 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by wayoflife

yes, it is but it is also a rubicon. trust me, i asked the driver on multiple occasions to make sure he was disconnected. i myself verified that he was. the lack of droop you see is solely a result of the bind from his radius arms.
Wow thats nuts - I also forget that the Rubi's have those push button discos.

Matt

Quick Reply: Project-JK Gets Off Road Evolution EVO-flex - Part 1: Front Coil Overs