Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Project-JK Gets Off Road Evolution EVO-flex - Part 1: Front Coil Overs

Old 08-26-2008, 07:37 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck45
Out of curiousity what is the problem with the RE Long Arm Kit? Is there something inherant in it being a radius arm that limits flex or is it something else?

What is the best LA kit that allows maximum flex.
You nailed it....radius arms inherently limit the flex but provide for a smooth ride on road.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:57 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck45
Out of curiousity what is the problem with the RE Long Arm Kit? Is there something inherant in it being a radius arm that limits flex or is it something else?
yes, radius arms simply cannot flex as much as a 4-link setup. according to RE themselves...

"it's not the RTI ramp scores we are going for, we're going for the drivablity and funtionality out on the trials. we don't want to have to put limit straps on our vehicles to keep the suspension from ripping the vehicle apart and tearing brackets off, we'll let the actual components that we designed on the vehicle keep the vehicle in one piece." - scott becker

if you want, i can post up the complete interview from sema of them trying to sell the idea of why limited flex (by comparison to a 4-link setup) is what you want.

as far as brackets breaking goes, i have seen radius arms on jk's on the the trail and for me personally, i have a hard time believing that less strain would be placed on two control arm mounts being torqued as they limit your axle flex as opposed to 4 that do allow for much more suspension travel. but hey, what do i know.

What is the best LA kit that allows maximum flex.
any 4-link long arm setup will give you a hell of a lot more flex than a radius arm setup. depending on the joints used, some more than others.

Last edited by wayoflife; 09-02-2008 at 08:29 AM.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:58 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by JackMac4
You nailed it....radius arms inherently limit the flex but provide for a smooth ride on road.
actually, any long arm kit will smooth out your ride on road especially if you have a 2-door
Old 08-26-2008, 07:59 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TSmith0820
Correct me if I'm wrong but that rough price estimate doesn't include the air bumpstops you will also need does it? From my sketchy memory I believe they are another $225 or so for a pair. Doing what you have done (EVO system with short arm kit) entered my mind but I brushed off that idea since I didn't think it would be worth doing. I decided the next step was long arms and then the EVO system... now I'm not so sure. The only problem I see is that my RE lower arms are fixed length. Pointless to replace them with another set of short arms when that money is better spent on the long arm kit.

Ty
You are right i forgot! SO that could bring the total into the 2000 dollar range. King coils are around 500 bucks for 14 inch travel. Still probably will make their way on my Jeep. What an awesome suspension.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:26 AM
JK-Forum Founder

okay, i just looked through some of our old photos and found this pic of a JK with an RE long arm kit on the trail...

amazingly, this is a JK with an RE short arm kit...

2 JK's on the same rock, one is hanging it's 37" tire and the other planting its 33" tire on the ground. both kits are made by RE - one is just made with radius arms and the other uses a 4-link setup.
Old 08-26-2008, 12:32 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why did MOPAR go with the long-arm?

Hi,

Not very technically adept. I bought the long-arm because of the MOPAR endorsement of it. Any idea why they (MOPAR) would do that given the limitations you point out? I'm hoping that there is some reason.
Old 08-26-2008, 12:38 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wayoflife
actually, any long arm kit will smooth out your ride on road especially if you have a 2-door
Right - I should have clarified that. Thanks...

I'd like to lower my CoG with an LA kit on my 2dr...I bet it would be nice.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:36 PM
JK Super Freak

2 JK's on the same rock, one is hanging it's 37" tire and the other planting its 33" tire on the ground. both kits are made by RE - one is just made with radius arms and the other uses a 4-link setup.
I'm glad I didn't drop the dollars on the RE LA kit but got the 3.5" short arm. I understand that the LA kit gives a nice road ride; but I'll be damned if I want to give up that much off road articulation.

RE uses a ball type joint in one end of their arms and a rubber bushing in the other. I've been considering buying ball joint ends, cutting of the bushing ends and welding up ball joint ends. There might be a bit less ride quality and isolation but with agressive tires and 1350 driveshafts I'll bet I'd never notice it.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:37 PM
JK Super Freak

yes, radius arms simply cannot flex as much as a 4-link setup. according to RE themselves...

"it's not the RTI ramp scores we are going for, we're going for the drivablity and funtionality out on the trials. we don't want to have to put limit straps on our vehicles to keep the suspension from tearing the vehicle apart and tearing brackets off, we'll let the actual components that we designed on the vehicle keep in one piece." - scott becker

if you want, i can post up the complete interview from sema of them trying to sell the idea of why little to no flex is what you want.

I would love to see the complete interview. Thanks!
Old 08-26-2008, 03:04 PM
JK Freak

That's just nuts and now I have to have 1.

VERY VERY NICE!!!

Quick Reply: Project-JK Gets Off Road Evolution EVO-flex - Part 1: Front Coil Overs