Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Project-JK Gets Off Road Evolution EVO-flex - Part 1: Front Coil Overs

Old 08-25-2008, 05:35 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by QKSILVER
You mentioned the on-road ride is outstanding. Did you have to adjust any of the steering geometry? How do you feel the kit would handle during an emergency panic stop or lane change compared to your other lift kits? Did you gain or lose any lift with this kit?
regarding steering geometery, no other adjustments are required other than what you would need for any 4"-6" lift. essentially, dropped pitman arm and track bar drop bracket. as far as handling in an emergency maneuver goes, it actually performs BETTER than stock IMHO. as for lift, i actually had my coilovers adjusted for the same height that i had with my teraflex 4" flex arm kit which was more or less a 5" lift. however, if i had trimmed fenders, i could actually have them adjusted so that my jk sat a bit lower. either way, it's all adjustable and you can set it to pretty much anything you want - within reason of course.

Originally Posted by a-squared

Also, does this kit reduce the head bobbling on approaches full of little bowling ball sized rocks?
well, i didn't really have that problem before as the lifts i was running were really good kits. but, the spring rates and valving on this setup can be adjusted to however you want.

Originally Posted by QKSILVER
OK here's a stupid question. Would a stock Rubicon Unlimited require both front and rear coil systems to be installed at the same time?
no - you can do one side at a time but you would need to address how to lift on the end you don't have it installed on. in other words, you would need taller coils and longer shocks on that end as well as control arms, etc.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:46 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by mmcan
Sick, Stupid, Crazy, Green with Envy Flex,...!!!!

Can this be installed on ANY lift, and how much does this thing cost???

Should I do the Hemi first, and then this? Or visa-versa???

(Not that I have the dough to do either, but DAMN I want to do both!)

WOL, would you say that you think this is a safer on road system?

The off road flex is crazy. I don't know how you manage to be so reserved in comparing this to ANY long arm. I have nowhere near that kind of flex.
yes, this can be installed with just about any lift kit there is out there and it will ENHANCE what your lift can do now.

if it were up to me, i would go with this before a HEMI

regarding on road safety, yes, dialed in, the EVO setup seriously outperforms what i was feeling with any previous setup.

as far as your long arm kit goes, with the addition of the EVO system, your jeep will ride and simply spank the flex that i am seeing on my JK. how do i know, i have seen a FT long arm kit with the EVO system and it is dumbfounding how amazing well it performs

Originally Posted by 5k!PpY
That is amazing flex. Wayoflife, could you give some insight on the on-road performance? How does it ride? Also how much are we looking at to have the entire front end done? I'm making a trip out there in spring 2009 and would like to start saving to possibly have this done while I'm out there. Appreciate it!
how this for you, on all the previous lift that i've run, my ESP would go off when driving a little faster than i should on twisty mountain roads. this was especially the case on long wide turns doing about 30 MPH. granted, a lot of this was most likely caused by body roll and would eventually go away with time as the computer started to learn things but with the EVO system installed, there is no more body roll or unstable feel and my ESP didn't go off once when heading up to niagara rim last week. in fact, this really is the best ride that i've had yet.

as far as pricing goes, i think JulietKilo had it about right...

500 For the kit
1000-1500 for the coil overs
0 weld yourself
=

1500-2000 for install
Old 08-25-2008, 05:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=mmcan;655717]Sick, Stupid, Crazy, Green with Envy Flex,...!!!!

Should I do the Hemi first, and then this? Or visa-versa???

(Not that I have the dough to do either, but DAMN I want to do both!)

Hehh Heh...yeah your in two different ball parks here. Looking at roughly $18-$26,000 for a 5.7 6.1 Hemi Swap and $2,000 for a Evo Front End. As Wayoflife said deffinitley go with the suspension first you won't be dissapointed or risk divorce.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:56 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

And just when i thought i had my wish list all buttoned up for christmas...
Old 08-26-2008, 04:46 AM
JK Newbie

Are these 12" or 14" coilovers used? Anyone know what length coilover Mel uses on his?
Old 08-26-2008, 04:57 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Man that rig is so awesome it's gettin ridiculous. LOL
Old 08-26-2008, 05:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Correct me if I'm wrong but that rough price estimate doesn't include the air bumpstops you will also need does it? From my sketchy memory I believe they are another $225 or so for a pair. Doing what you have done (EVO system with short arm kit) entered my mind but I brushed off that idea since I didn't think it would be worth doing. I decided the next step was long arms and then the EVO system... now I'm not so sure. The only problem I see is that my RE lower arms are fixed length. Pointless to replace them with another set of short arms when that money is better spent on the long arm kit.

Ty
Old 08-26-2008, 06:34 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by 6th_jeep
Are these 12" or 14" coilovers used? Anyone know what length coilover Mel uses on his?
i got the 12" and mel has 14" on his.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:43 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by TSmith0820
Correct me if I'm wrong but that rough price estimate doesn't include the air bumpstops you will also need does it? From my sketchy memory I believe they are another $225 or so for a pair. Doing what you have done (EVO system with short arm kit) entered my mind but I brushed off that idea since I didn't think it would be worth doing. I decided the next step was long arms and then the EVO system... now I'm not so sure. The only problem I see is that my RE lower arms are fixed length. Pointless to replace them with another set of short arms when that money is better spent on the long arm kit.

Ty
i hear where coming from and trust me, the EVO system on a 4-link long arm kit is really the way to go if you can afford it. it's too bad that you got fixed length arms with your RE short arm kit as you could have just done what i did
Old 08-26-2008, 07:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by wayoflife
Certainly, in the case of some long arm kits like the kind RE makes, you will get WAY more felx
Out of curiousity what is the problem with the RE Long Arm Kit? Is there something inherant in it being a radius arm that limits flex or is it something else?

What is the best LA kit that allows maximum flex.

Quick Reply: Project-JK Gets Off Road Evolution EVO-flex - Part 1: Front Coil Overs