Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Pro Comp Xtreme M/T tires (315/70R17) + 7189 rims + Bestop Oversize Tire Carrier

Old 09-17-2007 | 09:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Pro Comp Xtreme M/T tires (315/70R17) + 7189 rims + Bestop Oversize Tire Carrier

Last weekend I installed Pro Comp Xtreme M/T tires (315/70R17) w/ Pro Comp 7189 (17 x 9) rims and Bestop / High Rock 4x4 Oversize Tire Carrier.

It's been raining on and off for the past few days. The new tires handling very well on the pavement. I can't reallly comment on how quiet or loud the tires are since I've been driving without the factory doors and top for the last few months. I just put the doors and top back on. So, everything is quiet to me right now... I feel like driving a diffenret vehicle. Feels like driving a luxury SUV! I hate the small windows though... the doors make me feel claustrophobic. Since the tires stick out of the fender flares, they splash a lot driving in the rain... makes a nice big splash marks all over the doors. If you don't like having the splash marks all over the JK (every time it rains or drive over the puddle), you don't want to get the tires stick out of the fenders.

I really like the bestop / High Rock 4x4 Oversize Tire Carrier. I got it because I didn't want to spend $1,000+ on top of the tires and rims right now. It is very solid and hold the 35" tire very secure... no rattle, shake etc. The tire carrier uses the center hole to hold the tire, and it is very easy to place the tire on the carrier (no struggle finding and fitting 3 holes while holding the heavy 35" tire).

Bestop / High Rock 4x4 Oversize Tire Carrier

Last edited by moun10eer; 09-18-2007 at 12:26 AM.
Old 09-18-2007 | 06:09 AM
JK Jedi

Looks great! Nice job.
Old 09-18-2007 | 06:36 AM
JK Freak

Good looking Jeep. I like the "Jeep" on the side.
Old 09-18-2007 | 06:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

How are the 35's with your BB. Any rubbing, turning, flexing issues?

Great pictures. lots of detail!! thanks!
Old 09-18-2007 | 06:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Moun10eer, the 35's look great. Particularly with your 2 inch lift. Can't wait to see it in person.

P.S. I also finally sucked it up and put the doors back on yesterday. We went from sunny and 85 to rainy and 60 in about 4 days (driving in the drizzle and 48 degrees the other night was less than spectacular).
Old 09-18-2007 | 07:00 AM
JK Junkie

looks good.

any more info about the tire rack--like, does it sit on the bumper? do you need an extra key for the tire lock?
Old 09-18-2007 | 07:04 AM
JK Freak

sweet man! That tire carrier strengthen the back gate?
Old 09-18-2007 | 08:49 AM
JK Freak

Looks good. So would you say the Bestop carrier is better than stock?

I almost bought it but was talked out of it. It doesn't seem to do anything to relieve the weight of the spare from the tailgate.
Old 09-18-2007 | 11:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

first of all-great looking jeep!
I had the best top tire carrier on mine for about two months I was just using it temporarliy untill aev came out with their rear bumper but after two months the weight of my spare tire (about 140lbs.) was too much for the tail gate and before it did any damage I took it off. and am now running with no spare untill I get a rear bumper with a tire carrier. I am sure those of you with aluminum rims and lighter tires will do fine mine was just too heavy. so now I have it sitting around doing nothing but collecting dust in my basement.
Old 09-18-2007 | 12:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks guys!

How are the 35's with your BB. Any rubbing, turning, flexing issues?
No rubbing at turning with the PJ stubby. I can make a sharp turn / u-turn without rubbing anywhere. I haven't gone to the trail yet. I think WOL had very similar set up, and he mentioned that the tire would touch the fender flare at a full flex. I probably go to the moderate 4WD trail tomorrow or Thursday. I'll let you guys know how it went.

As for the Bestop High Rock 4x4 Oversize Tire Carrier, I originally got it for temporary use. I was going to get one of those rear bumper with tire carrier in the next few months... maybe around the Christmas. But, the tire carrier is very solid and I think I can run this set up for a long time.

The tire + wheel combo I got isn't that heavy -- not much heavier than the stock 32" Rubi tire + wheel. The Pro Comp Xtreme M/T 315/70R17 weighs 68lbs. (I've seen the Pro Comp tire size and weight chart). I think the wheel weighs around 20~25lbs. So, the total weight is about 88~93lbs. I think only about 20lbs. heavier than the stock Ribi set. As "bonedigger" said, I think the tire carrier holds the spare without causing any problem with the rear gate. I wouldn't recommend anyone who's getting 37's though.

any more info about the tire rack--like, does it sit on the bumper? do you need an extra key for the tire lock?
The tire does not touch the rear bumper at all. The lock doesn't come with the carrier. I got a Master Lock with the (waterproof?) rubber cover.

Last edited by moun10eer; 09-18-2007 at 01:36 PM.

Quick Reply: Pro Comp Xtreme M/T tires (315/70R17) + 7189 rims + Bestop Oversize Tire Carrier