Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Preliminary round of home made safari

Old 01-25-2010, 02:54 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Preliminary round of home made safari

Haha I know it doesnt look that great, I just hate the sail pannels, obstruct the view more than i like. So until I can afford a safari, was going to get one then heard so many bad things about the bestop that Im on hold on it now, and gonna improve on this a little until then. Going to replace the middle strap with 2 on the sides, and somehow secure the sail pannels flipped up a little better. let me hear what yall think.

Old 01-25-2010, 03:23 PM
JK Freak

Well so far I've only gotten up to about 45 but it was fine. Less noise than with the sail pannels attatched. Need to figure out a better way to let them to stay up securely because the passenger one likes to slide over and hang down a little but no flapping ot anything. And with the two sides secured down instead of that one strap in the middle, I think it will be pretty secure.
Old 01-26-2010, 02:24 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by ssunde1
... until I can afford a safari, was going to get one then heard so many bad things
about the bestop that Im on hold on it now ...
It costs a lot more, but the Mopar Sunbonnet (silly name, but it's a safari top by any other)
is a nicely made product. And, when comparing prices, remember that the Mopar version
comes with the header rail built-in.
Old 01-26-2010, 04:34 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
It costs a lot more, but the Mopar Sunbonnet (silly name, but it's a safari top by any other)
is a nicely made product. And, when comparing prices, remember that the Mopar version
comes with the header rail built-in.
yea i think thats the one I will be going with. I cant decide if i should get one that wraps around the door surrounds or just the roll bars. I know that if i go with around the foll bars, that will leave a gap where the elements can get in, but on the other hand, i take my doors off every chance i get, and like running w/o the door surrounds when doors are off. decisions decisions. but i just pulled the trigger on a winch and new front bumper to drop it in last night so i wont be getting one for a while.

Love you jeep by the way, great color too!
Old 01-26-2010, 06:14 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well...... if you like it
Old 01-27-2010, 11:07 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ssunde1
yea i think thats the one I will be going with. I cant decide if i should get one that wraps around the door surrounds or just the roll bars. I know that if i go with around the foll bars, that will leave a gap where the elements can get in, but on the other hand, i take my doors off every chance i get, and like running w/o the door surrounds when doors are off. decisions decisions. but i just pulled the trigger on a winch and new front bumper to drop it in last night so i wont be getting one for a while.

Love you jeep by the way, great color too!
Take it from a guy who didn't have door surrounds... KEEP your surrounds and look into the Bestop safari.

The reason I went with the Bestop was they said door surrounds were not needed. I had a stock hard top, so I never got surrounds. However once installed, it was immediately recognized that the Bestop safari top needs the door surrounds to fit properly. Otherwise you get the afore mentioned elements coming in, and basically a poor fit.

In hindsight I would have tried to get the entire stock soft top from eBay that included the door surrounds (found a guy selling the entire thing for $300 shipped!) but I was stupid.

Ended up spending over $400 for the safari, header, duster, jammer and extension plus shipping... then my in-laws spent over $500 for the door surrounds and tailgate bar, just so my Bestop crap will fit better. Learn from my mistake.

At least all you need to do is get the safari. Since you have everything already, getting the safari top will be super easy. The Bestop will work without surrounds, if you run doorless, but the fit isn't the best. The good thing is if you want to run with the doors, use the surrounds and the top will be great.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:53 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

See my link...

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-write-ups-39/safari-top-%245-56002/

You need two straps, one on each side. I regularly drive at highway speeds. It doesn't flap like the sail panels.

I like this better than the Mopar bonnet because it keeps the sun off the dogs in the back. Besides, it's virtually free & the fit is absolutely perfect! not to mention, when bad weather comes you just put the windows in.
Old 05-16-2010, 05:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did the same thing yesterday..
tucked my panels under and wrapped 'em with velcro.

then took 2 bungee cords and attached 'em to the back cross bar and the little round holes near the tailgate..

i still like the look of the real sunbonnet tho. removing the soft top support bars has a much cleaner look..

Quick Reply: Preliminary round of home made safari