Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

preinstall photos of smittybilt bumpers (need some help)

Old 12-23-2012, 04:35 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default preinstall photos of smittybilt bumpers (need some help)

I need photos or an explanation on what the back side of a couple front bumpers look like. I'm looking at the smittybilt Multi Optional Design (M.O.D.) system- XRC M.O.D. , as well as the Smittybilt XRC front bumper. I have a little problem. I removed my stock plactic front bumper and chopped the metal insert into a stubby. It looks good and I have been running it for a few years now. Problem is that I installed a winch. I didnt want the winch to sit on top of the frame rails so I fabricated a winch plate out of steel, chopped off the compatibility bar beneath the frame rails and welded the winch plate to the bottom of the frame. It works great and the winch is hidden inside the bumper. The roller guides are ceentered on the bumper both vertically and horizontally. What I need to know is if my winch plate will be compatable with with either of the two bumpers mentoned above. I know they are hidden winch bumpers, so I'm affraid that if their winch plate is welded inside the bumper it will hit the winch plate I have already installed. I don't want to remove my winch plate if I don't have to. I appreciate any help or insight that you all my be able to lend me.
Old 12-23-2012, 05:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have the mod on my 12' JKU. The bumper comes with a recessed winch plate already welded to the bumper. It looks nice. I would think you would have to cut your winch plate off to accommodate the mod bumper.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1454125593.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	401024
Old 12-24-2012, 04:09 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the info. I feared as much. Do you think it would be easy to cut the out the integral winch plate welded into the bumper? I knid of figure thats more along the lines of what I am going to have to end up doing? Does anyone have photos of the back of these bumpers? I really don't want to end up with buyers remorse. I'm affraid no matter which direction I go, I'm going to have to take a leap of faith, and I'll be modifying my new bumber in order to get it to fit.
Old 12-24-2012, 04:29 AM
JK Super Freak

I too have the mod bumper and you will have tow issues. First being the winch plate which i would not reccomend removing as it is intregal to the bumper design and holds the winch at the correct position to have the fairing in the center of the smitty bumper. Second the bumper actually mounts to the lower crash bar that you removed. You would need to reinstall that to mount the bumper properly. Without this triangulation the bumper may under a heavy winch load.

Quick Reply: preinstall photos of smittybilt bumpers (need some help)