Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Powdercoat vs Paint

Old 08-16-2011, 05:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Powdercoat vs Paint

I just got my new Poison Spyder Aluminum Crusher Flares and trying to decide which is better, Powdercoating or Painting? I saw a lot of write-ups that talked about wheels or bumpers but not flares. I would like to have them match my Jeep which is Silver. I even thought about doing a clear coat to keep the slight contrast of the raw aluminum to the paint. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 08-16-2011, 05:42 PM
JK Newbie

Depending on what types of trails you ride and the types of off-road'n you do. Paint is easier to touch up than powder coating. If you have the money, a good Bedliner company can do a color match to your Jeep.
Old 08-16-2011, 05:42 PM
JK Super Freak

If you will scratch them on off road trips go with liquid painting. Powder coat is tougher but also scratches and cannot be fixed unless ripping all paint off and painting everything again = more expensive to fix.

There are some dual-compound epoxy paints that are tougher than the ordinary liquid paints, but, in my opinion, not worth the difference.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:20 PM
JK Newbie

Paint will be alot easier to touch up than powder coat if you scatch them.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:25 PM
JK Newbie

I'm not a big fan of powder coatings, consider using PPG epoxy primer for base, adheres to aluminum beautifully and very very tuff yet repair friendly. Many folks use epoxy primer as a final coat and in many cases be tinted however over time will chalk up after a few years from direct UV exposure. For topcoat go with whatever budget allows. Acrylic enamel will be more cost friendly. Urethane, Poly is better / tougher but go single stage as multi staged systems will require a base and clear coat $$$.

I use PPG black epoxy primer on everything, comes in black, grey, blue, red oxide, some offer tint. buy in quarts it goes a very long way. With activator will set you back $100. Spray thick using 1.7 HPLV gun tip and apply 1 tack coat and two wetcoats. If you tune gun can even lay down with mild texture.

For top coat I use a flat black (John Deere Blitz Black) super affordable $20 a gal. It's an acrylic enamel and with epoxy primer being the foundation base will be fine and will further protect. Use a valsper hardener for quick flash and additional hardness and will leave a mild satin (egg shell) sheen. No need for much else.

Quick Reply: Powdercoat vs Paint