Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Ported 8" sub box complete!!!

Old 11-24-2010, 03:53 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ported 8" sub box complete!!!

This is in my wife's jeep, and the project took me WAY too long. I got a jl 250.1 amp and an elemental designs 8" sub installed into the factory infinity box to start, and went through THREE of those before the sub even sounded remotely decent and the voice coil or whatever wasn't rattling and clicking brand new out of the box! I decided to build a custom ported box to ED's specs and the 3rd sub finally sounded ok, but nowhere near the output I expected. Never finished the exterior of the box because I was disappointed with the performance.

Anyways... I found an incredible deal on a RE rex8 sub and decided to try it out, and thank god I did! Sounds awesome, looks great, and I finally got the box finished.

Hope you like the pics!

Old 11-24-2010, 03:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

good work man. What material is that?
Old 11-24-2010, 04:04 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ejyjk
good work man. What material is that?
It's 3/4" MDF with a 1/4" MDF on the top of the box with the routered JK logo. The box was coated with two coats of Dupont Duplicolor spray bedliner...
Old 11-24-2010, 04:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

looks great! im pushing two 10s in mine
Old 11-24-2010, 06:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Nice work on the JK logo! that took some talent. I guess it needs to be that wide as it is ported? Seems to take up a lot of space. I have to take my sub and amp out every time I want to haul anything or go camping and find it a hassle... Really nice looking job though.
Old 11-24-2010, 06:45 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by smuhhh
Nice work on the JK logo! that took some talent. I guess it needs to be that wide as it is ported? Seems to take up a lot of space. I have to take my sub and amp out every time I want to haul anything or go camping and find it a hassle... Really nice looking job though.
I built the box and had my local audio shop do the logo for the top (I don't have any tools for doing something detailed like that). The box is that long because it has a zig-zag port pattern through the box to get it tuned down to 30hz I believe. The shop also wired it in for me and used the factory sub's plug, so it's super easy and quick to disconnect and remove the sub box when we need the extra space.

Quick Reply: Ported 8" sub box complete!!!