Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Poison Spyder 2012 KOH Modified Class Build

Old 12-29-2011, 06:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

love the build. will be sad when its all done.
question: since i am a noob and no nothing about racing, why did you not use a jeep, like you did last race? How did you do with the stock jeep. Is this to make the jeep lighter and stronger? higher clearance?
Jeff
Old 12-30-2011, 10:48 AM
Former Member

Originally Posted by jllaclair
love the build. will be sad when its all done.
question: since i am a noob and no nothing about racing, why did you not use a jeep, like you did last race? How did you do with the stock jeep. Is this to make the jeep lighter and stronger? higher clearance?
Jeff
Jeff,
Thanks for following along on the build. 2012 is the first year that the King of the Hammers event had anything but an unlimited class. Last year we built a Jeep to show that a JK with off the shelf parts was up to the task of competing in and event as grueling as this race. The Jeep did real well. The race was a two lap race. We made it 1.5 laps before I broke the Jeep. The Jeep was capable of completing the race it was my mistake that took it out. As capable as the Jeep was it was at a clear disadvantage in the unlimited class. We were excited when the promoters added classes. We thought we could freshen up the Jeep and make it competitive in the Modified class, but after reading the rules we decided to build a Jeep bodied race buggy. It seemed to be a much more cost effective way to be competitive in the class. We'll know in a few weeks if we made the right decision. ;-)

We hope to have some new photos up soon. We'll continue to update the thread even after completion. We hope to share what worked and what didn't and how we fixed the parts that didn't work to our expectations.
Thanks Again,
Old 12-30-2011, 11:15 AM
JK Newbie

Nothing like the smell of welding in the morning! Looks sick, stoked to see the finished product for KOH race!!
Old 12-30-2011, 12:43 PM
Former Member

Originally Posted by Driver831
Nothing like the smell of welding in the morning! Looks sick, stoked to see the finished product for KOH race!!
That's what we've been smelling everyday for three months...I'm ready for the smell of race fuel and dust
Old 12-30-2011, 12:47 PM
JK Freak

It's definitely an awesome build! I wanna ride in it!!!
Old 12-30-2011, 03:17 PM
DTS
Former Member

Suspension links fresh from heat treating...

Can't wait to hear the dual Magnaflows rumbling!

Big-ass brakes with 6-piston calipers and some machining to the Currie knuckles...

Pretty good size rotors! We had to make our own rotor hats, they should be back from the machine shop soon.

Getting the hood ready to pin on.

Radiator surge tank.

Last edited by DTS; 12-30-2011 at 03:44 PM.
Old 12-30-2011, 04:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Build & Race

Good luck finishing the build and with the race.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:59 AM
DTS
Former Member

More pics!

Old 01-03-2012, 04:14 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Absolutely badass looking!!!! More pics please!!!!!!!!
Old 01-03-2012, 04:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Default Incredible!

Thanks for taking us thru the steps of the building of this car, your crew is doing absolutely phenomenal work. Just a beautifully well built buggy Good luck brothers, and I hope the team has a great finish!

Quick Reply: Poison Spyder 2012 KOH Modified Class Build