Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Pls Help Building a Junkyard axle front and rear

Old 01-20-2012, 04:42 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by redx08

A 14 bolt in the rear and a dana 60 out of a 77.5-79 f350 or snowfighter F250 would be great axles to put under a jk. I have axles out of a 2002 F350 and work well. I used rock krawler long arm kit front and rear for my control arms. I am runnign 14 inch travel RRD coilovers in the front with the rock krawler coilover mounts. The rear I have custom mounts for my 14 inch travel ORIs. My trackbar brackets are from ruff stuff specialties, as well as my heims for the track bars, tie rod, and drag link. I used 1.5 .250 dom for my steering links and track bars. My axle mounts for control arms are a mix of ruff stuff and rock krawler. I used 3/4 heims for my track bar and 7/8 heims for steering. Also jeep speed shop has a kit that will provide your sensors for the rear 14 bolt.
Red i appretiate all the info on some of the products to use and where to buy, my state also has no fender laws as well so i will be ok there. As for the sensors do you need to run sensors front and rear so theres christmas tree on ur dashboard? Or will rear work well enough? A btw great forum on your axle build, i hope to start mine asap and will make a build thread as well

Thanks again
Old 01-20-2012, 05:11 AM
JK Newbie

Here is redx08's 1 ton build thread with Dana 60 front and Sterling 10.5 in the rear. It has tons of good info with Pics. If you are interested in the 14bolt rear there are threads speaking about that as well.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...1-ton-jk-build
Old 01-20-2012, 07:28 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Garald_JK
Here is redx08's 1 ton build thread with Dana 60 front and Sterling 10.5 in the rear. It has tons of good info with Pics. If you are interested in the 14bolt rear there are threads speaking about that as well.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...1-ton-jk-build
Yea Ive read his build thread and all im just trying to do as much research as possible to get the build done as quick as possible
Old 01-20-2012, 08:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

I just put some axles out of an 05 sd ford under mine. 60 front,10.5 sterling rear.

The front is harder to work with than older 60's due to the pumpkin being offset more to drivers side. The tube and knuckles are heavier duty than the older models though.

It would be hard to make the front work with coil springs due to space for coil bucket mount. It could be done though.

05 and later front 60's should have 35 spline outer shafts which is good. I'll run the stock shafts untill they break then get some chromos.

I didn't care about having my abs/ESP speedo work so I didn't run any electric crap to my axles. Just more stuff to get ripped out on the trail in my opinion.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:20 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jeff76
I just put some axles out of an 05 sd ford under mine. 60 front,10.5 sterling rear.

The front is harder to work with than older 60's due to the pumpkin being offset more to drivers side. The tube and knuckles are heavier duty than the older models though.

It would be hard to make the front work with coil springs due to space for coil bucket mount. It could be done though.

05 and later front 60's should have 35 spline outer shafts which is good. I'll run the stock shafts untill they break then get some chromos.

I didn't care about having my abs/ESP speedo work so I didn't run any electric crap to my axles. Just more stuff to get ripped out on the trail in my opinion.
Very good Info.....So are you saying if you want to stick with a coil spring setup you should not use 05 and up 60's from Ford SD? Unless you plan on doing a little extra fab work?

Last edited by Garald_JK; 01-20-2012 at 10:52 AM.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Very good Info.....So are you saying if you want to stick with a coil spring setup you should not use 05 and up 60's from Ford SD? Unless you plan on doing a little extra fab work?
Correct, it can be done, but not without custom fab work.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:37 AM
JK Newbie

TnT can make a truss for a 79 front D60 that lets you keep the coil buckets, track bar, upper link mounts and various other mounts to keep it more like the stock configuration although most going this route tend to go with coilovers.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:44 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mallow

TnT can make a truss for a 79 front D60 that lets you keep the coil buckets, track bar, upper link mounts and various other mounts to keep it more like the stock configuration although most going this route tend to go with coilovers.
I will def have to look that up, i plan on doing it in stages due to money. Eventually i would like to go to coil overs tho
Old 01-22-2012, 03:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

If you want to do coilovers I would wait. Get the axle you want and build it internally. Let it sit untill you can afford the coilovers.

Setting it up first for coil springs, then later for coilovers is going to cost you way more money. That's just what I would do.
Old 01-22-2012, 04:27 PM
JK Newbie

Tnt said that the truss wont fit on the jk that the would send it unwelded for you to measure and weld yourself

Quick Reply: Pls Help Building a Junkyard axle front and rear