Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Plastidip - Hardtop interior- Part 1

Old 04-10-2012, 12:32 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks GREAT!!! How did you prep the panels before spraying them? Did you tape anything off?
Old 04-16-2012, 06:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

I sanded with coarse sandpaper, however I have some friends who do almost zero prep work before plastidipping anything, with great results.

I have line X on the outside, and didn't really want to overspray onto it, as the surface is extremely rough, and won't peel up very nice. I did tape the edges where the line-x meets the white interior. I also taped the little metal rivet looking things (duno what those are called) and pulled all hardware off.

The same friends also dont even give 1 - 2 minutes between coats which I'm not really on board with. for mine I sprayed thin coats (counting again I think I actually threw 6 coats on there) and would give a solid hour between sprays. I used the better part of a day, but I did them one at a time. If I had to do it again, I'd prep all three hard top pieces, and spray them all at the same time. The entire thing could be knocked out in about 8 hours given my long dry times. the surface is nice, however where the little L shaped handles that secure the top rub the top, I have already peeled some of the dip. I don't have a problem touching that up, but it may bother some.

I believe for the actual hard top I will spray a black primer and then start the dip, that way if scuffs occur, i mean it is a jeep after all.. at least they'll reveal black paint, not white.

overall I would say the plastidip is about 100000000000000000% better to look at than the stupid white interior. but I'm estimating with that number.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about plastidip on the exterior? I have some trail damage on my hardtop that I just patched and I'll need to repaint/texture something the outside. Was thinking plastidip could be the cheap option sinceI don't want to paint match my hard top.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:58 PM
JK Freak

Does it make a difference in noise heat/cold?
Old 04-30-2012, 02:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

I am looking into spraying my interior with Lizard Skin to try to control some of the heat our here in the desert then I also won a set of hot head healiners so hopefully between the two I can keep it from reaching 130+ in that dang jeep during the summers out here.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah... 130° is nasty... we have that issue here in south kackalacki!
Old 05-31-2012, 05:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

there's almost no noticeable difference in noise for me, however the exterior of my hard top is covered in Line-X, so if I got any benefit it was from that, and that was 18 months ago.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:17 AM
JK Junkie

Looks really good so far!

Quick Reply: Plastidip - Hardtop interior- Part 1