Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Picture Request: GenRight Tire Carrier

Old 08-14-2012, 10:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Picture Request: GenRight Tire Carrier

Hey guys,

I'm strongly considering going with the GenRight tire carrier, but I'm just a little concerned if it will definitely work for me or not. I have the SwagOffRoad drop-down tailgate conversion and just want to make 100% sure the two will work together before I drop the $$$ on the GenRight carrier. Sooooo, for you guys who run this carrier, could you please post some straight-on pictures of the back of the Jeep with carrier fully open? I just want to make sure the tailgate won't hit the tire when I swing it down.

Another way to know.... with the carrier fully open, does it allow for the tailgate to swing fully open (ie - past 90 degrees)?

Thanks in advance!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0791.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	354192
Old 08-14-2012, 06:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Bump... anyone?
Old 08-14-2012, 06:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

if you watch the install vid on youtube, if i remember correctly you are supposed to drill through the stock tail gate hinges. im sure if you call them they should have an answer or be able to tell you if you need the stock hinges or not.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hey thanks. I did talk to them and it should work hinge-wise... I'll just leave off the tailgate hinges and new pins. The angle that video is shot at makes it difficult to tell if the tire is beyond 90 degrees from the edge of the tailgate opening though... I think it is, but I'd really like to see a straight-on shot with it open to know for sure.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

i think it will be tight. I guess I'm getting old but i dont rember being able to open the tailgate past 90 degrees. I'm traveling but as soon as i return this week I'll shoot some pics with everything open ...if nobody responds before then.

I can say this though...it looks killer and has ZERO noise or vibration. But, theres always a butt...it is not exactly "easy" to close no matter how much you keep it adjusted. I'm not worried about this but my wife hates it.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks, much appreciated!
Old 08-14-2012, 07:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by awinski
if you watch the install vid on youtube, if i remember correctly you are supposed to drill through the stock tail gate hinges. im sure if you call them they should have an answer or be able to tell you if you need the stock hinges or not.
no drilling on or into the stock hinges. You replace the stock hinge itself with a much stronger unit from genright and re-use the stock hinge arms. Drilling into the drivers side tub is necessary to attach the drivers side bracket that secures the carrier. Overall it is very sturdy.

Last edited by Foxc; 08-14-2012 at 07:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Picture Request: GenRight Tire Carrier