Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Pic Request: Gobi Stealth & Kargo Master racks on your Unlimited!

Old 11-15-2011, 08:14 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pic Request: Gobi Stealth & Kargo Master racks on your Unlimited!

Still trying to decide which rack to get...hung up on either the Kargo Master, and put the extra $$ into tires, or splurge on the Stealth rack.

From what I've heard the Kargo Master is stronger, but gets more wind noise. Anyone know the height difference of these racks above the hardtop?

Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance!
Old 11-15-2011, 08:41 PM
JK Newbie

Here's mine with a Congo cage. Not stock though, I lowered it about 1.5" as I didn't care for the original height. I couldn't stand it aesthetically.

I can basically still enter all parking garages as is for now.

Ideally though, I don't think I should've lowered it more than 1".

It doesn't hum the way others seem too, but you can definitely hear it catching the wind.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2363481046.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	237499  
Old 11-15-2011, 10:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't have mine on right now, but I thought their website had measurements. That or try Alpha Expedtion's thread on the manufacturer's section regarding Gobi racks.

The Gobi rack is definetly strong. I have way overloaded it and had no problems. It does not shake or rattle, except if you have the quick disconnects on the front. And even then it is so minor you will never notice it, even offroading.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2010-07-10 16.55.14.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	237520Click image for larger version

Name:	2010-05-16 14.28.10..jpg
Views:	389
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	237521Click image for larger version

Name:	2010-05-16 Hard top & Gobi left side..jpg
Views:	521
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	237522Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep and Mt Ord..jpg
Views:	709
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	237523Click image for larger version

Name:	On trail 3..jpg
Views:	326
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	237524
Old 11-16-2011, 02:47 AM
JK Newbie

Excellent pics guys thank you. Remark, great looking jeep...your build list is currently my wish list

How much gear have you guys put on the racks while off road?
Old 11-16-2011, 05:24 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Scott-BC
Excellent pics guys thank you. Remark, great looking jeep...your build list is currently my wish list

How much gear have you guys put on the racks while off road?
90+lb roof tent. Really the only reason I purchased a rack.

Solid, no issues.

Name:	image-2066730166.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	237574  
Old 11-16-2011, 07:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Still trying to decide which rack to get...hung up on either the Kargo Master, and put the extra $$ into tires, or splurge on the Stealth rack.

From what I've heard the Kargo Master is stronger, but gets more wind noise. Anyone know the height difference of these racks above the hardtop?

I'm 110% satisfied with my Gobi Stealth Roof Rack! My understanding is that Gobi has a lower profile than Kargo Master. Because Gobi has a lower profile and factoring in the wind deflector will substantially diminish wind noise.

Name:	ForumRunner_20111116_112215.jpg
Views:	623
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	237612  
Old 11-16-2011, 07:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dallasc
I'm 110% satisfied with my Gobi Stealth Roof Rack! My understanding is that Gobi has a lower profile than Kargo Master. Because Gobi has a lower profile and factoring in the wind deflector will substantially diminish wind noise.
I am very interested in the Gobi Stealth. How much will it affect gas mileage overall? I have to drive long distances to get anywhere up here, so fuel mileage or the lack of it is an issue when it comes to choosing equipment.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SNOWHARA

I am very interested in the Gobi Stealth. How much will it affect gas mileage overall? I have to drive long distances to get anywhere up here, so fuel mileage or the lack of it is an issue when it comes to choosing equipment.
The rack only weights 88lbs. So the difference is around 1-2mpg. Naturally what ever you toss up top will add to less mpg's. The stealth is rated to 300lbs capacity. To be honest, if you need to place more than 300lbs up top, you may need to consider using a pickup. By the way, I see you're from Manitoba. I need to get up to Churchill Manitoba and photograph polar bears. As a professional wildlife photographer, I'd love to photograph in that area.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dallasc
The rack only weights 88lbs. So the difference is around 1-2mpg. Naturally what ever you toss up top will add to less mpg's. The stealth is rated to 300lbs capacity. To be honest, if you need to place more than 300lbs up top, you may need to consider using a pickup. By the way, I see you're from Manitoba. I need to get up to Churchill Manitoba and photograph polar bears. As a professional wildlife photographer, I'd love to photograph in that area.
First off, my apologies to the OP for the mini-hijack! Churchill is amazing. Northern Manitoba has a lot to offer for a wildlife photographer. Come check us out! Thanks for your information on the rack.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Using Gobi's website and estimating from their dimensions, I'd say the Stealth rack sits 2 or 3 inches above the hardtop.

Quick Reply: Pic Request: Gobi Stealth & Kargo Master racks on your Unlimited!