Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

pic request: front skid plate?

Old 10-31-2008, 04:07 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default pic request: front skid plate?

Since i lifted my jeep and put 35's on it, my tires rub against the front skid plate a very little bit, it's not a problem at all, however i'm wondering if i should just take it off or not. many just rip it off or replace it with skid row offroad ones, so could you guys send some pics my way of jeeps with and without skid plates? i don't want to hit anything on the trail and bend something either
Old 10-31-2008, 04:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

here is a pic with it off. its really just an air dam. it doesnt provide any protection. the only people i have seen keep it on say they do because they get btter mpg with it on. it didnt see any drop after i ripped it off. sorry pic isnt the greatest.

Old 10-31-2008, 04:45 PM
JK Super Freak

I recommend that you remove the air damn. It may rip off anyways during a river crossing. It's worthless if you ask me. Take a look at my pic gallery if you like. I think it looks better now.
Old 11-01-2008, 02:16 AM
JK Jedi

It is an Air Dam, and most people with modified Jeeps seem to remove it with no issues, so feel free.
Old 11-01-2008, 02:23 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by motorhead0320
here is a pic with it off. its really just an air dam. it doesnt provide any protection. the only people i have seen keep it on say they do because they get btter mpg with it on. it didnt see any drop after i ripped it off. sorry pic isnt the greatest.

Your set up is really impressive. Congratulation!
Old 11-01-2008, 03:38 AM
Eternal ***erator

they make nice party trays for chips & salsa, beyond that they are mostly useless IMO. I would take it off and be done with it. (i did, then i replaced my bumper with Shrockworks, and the skid plate under that makes that plastic thing look absolutely ridiculous)

I am not a fan of the Skidrow "skid plate" as far as i see it, it is more or less just a metal version of the plastic air dam, and doesn't protect much of anything from underneath.

IMO there are much better skid plate options, that actually act as skid plates, and not just a front deflector (which i am sure the skidrow does a much better job of than that silly piece of plastic the factory gave us)
Old 11-01-2008, 05:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

If you don't have the Rubi type electric sway bar disconnect, why do you need a front skid plate anyway? In the many past Jeeps I've owned I've never had a front skid plate. Am I missing something here? I don't even see the radiator on the JK being prone to hits or an issue. The silly bar hanging down looks like it should be cut off anyway
Old 11-01-2008, 06:06 AM
Eternal ***erator

I would caution against removing that bar though until you know what type of bumper your planning on using, some of them use it as an attachment point. The skid on the Shrockworks uses that bar.

having to weld it back on later if you needed it would kinda suck.
Old 11-01-2008, 06:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The bumper is custom along with the skidplate. I don't have a electric disco but I built it to keep my winch more difficult to remove. A spot weld makes a great deterrent as well. Maybe it help with aerodynamics??? The JK is built like a brick for so I don't think it does much on that end.

Old 11-01-2008, 06:47 AM
Eternal ***erator

supposedly, the purpose of the airdam is to create a dead spot behind the radiator to promote it drawing more air in to cool things down.

I have never had a problem with mine overheating though.

Quick Reply: pic request: front skid plate?