Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Painting the inside of my hard top black

Old 06-25-2009, 10:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lookin great so far, good luck with the rest!
Old 06-25-2009, 10:13 PM
JK Freak

Sweet! That does look really good!
Old 06-26-2009, 03:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jkJason
Like the gray or khaki color?
Thats exactly what I meant
Old 06-26-2009, 03:31 AM
JK Super Freak

Just FYI, wee sprayed mine in my booth at work. The stuff stinks! Also, everyone that says it can get coevrage with only 6 cans....No way! We spent 3 cans per freedom panel to get proper coverage! The rear section of the top took almost 10 cans. Guess that's what I get for being so picky! I kept seeing holidays in the paint and kept having the guys add coats til I was happy with the coverage. Yes defintely remove all hardware, and the rear glass too, makes it so much easier to tape and prep. I suggest wiping the inside of the top with a Deglosser/cleaner such as Wil-bond, just in case you had a greasy finger print or two. I have the top sitting in my shed now, and won't re-install til October. But I was very happy with how it turned out!
Old 06-26-2009, 04:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Is it me, or is your passanger side kinda blotchy? Might be a trick of the flash though. Other than that, it looks amazing! I'm trying to work up the balls to do this myself. I might just take it and have it LineX'd.
Old 06-26-2009, 04:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Looks good!!
Old 06-26-2009, 05:53 AM
JK Newbie

Just wondering if anyone has carpeted theirs??? I like the paint idea, but see it scratching. I have been looking a black auto carpets and spray glue. Has this been done?
Old 06-26-2009, 06:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Sndwave80
Just wondering if anyone has carpeted theirs??? I like the paint idea, but see it scratching. I have been looking a black auto carpets and spray glue. Has this been done?
Well, he's not really painting it, he's using a bed liner material called Duplicolor. Kinda like a DIY LineX product. Supposted to create a rubbery texture so I wouldn't really see it scratching.
Old 06-26-2009, 06:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I used 1 full can and another half a can on just the Freedom panels. So I would agree that 6 total cans for everything is not enough.

It definitely stinks but after letting it dry overnight in the garage, I installed them last night and the stink seemed to be gone. I even rolled the windows up overnight and this morning checked on it and there was no smell anymore.

Yeah, no bloches, it was just the flash of the camera refelcting in the speckle. I made sure it was tip top before re-installing.

As for carpet, I'm not sure it would hold up to the heat here in Arizona - or how well it would stick to the fiberglass or whatever the hard top is made of. The thing about other vehicles' headliners is that they are connected to some sort of fiberboard then mounted with an air gap up into the roof. Nothing is actually attached surface to surface with the metal roof. I know cop 4x4 does some custom headliner but I don't know how they attach it. And theres just sits in the recessed areas of the panels.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:07 AM
JK Super Freak

Default looks good

wel done. if i had a hardtop i would have to copy you. i don't like that white either.

Quick Reply: Painting the inside of my hard top black