Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Painting the inside of my hard top black

Old 06-24-2009, 11:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Painting the inside of my hard top black

I'll start this thread in the show & tell section since I'm not sure I'll have the patience to do a full write-up once I start.

This thread https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-write-ups-39/blacked-inside-my-hardtop-duplicolor-truck-bed-liner-19277/ from WAY back in the day gave me the inspiration.

I bought the spray cans last night.

I called 6 Checker stores and they all had either only 1 or no cans in stock (recommended that you get at least 6 so I bought 7 to be safe). One right by my work had 1 can and the clerk sold it to me for $4.99. Then two stores by my house had 3 cans each. When I got there later in the day, they brought all 6 cans to the one store which was WAY cool but I had to pay the regular price of $8.99 per can. I also bought some 220 grit sand paper to rough up the finish before coating. I'll hopefully have enough left over for me to do my inner fender wells too.

I'm going to start the Freedom Top panels tonight as they are easiest to take off and I don't need any help in doing so. We've got a local trail run scheduled for this Saturday so when my buddies come over we can take the rest of the top off (you can imagine the PITA I go through at my Jeep's height, in order to manaully get that thing off!). Then I can finish the rest Sunday or sometime next week.

So pics will start flowing tomorrow!
Old 06-24-2009, 02:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking forward to seeing how it goes. I hate the white!
Old 06-25-2009, 07:02 AM
JK Super Freak

So I started on all this last night and I have to say it's pretty easy. Removing the latches was simple and taping the rubber and outer edge off was even easier. Since the whole thing is white, it was kind of hard to see how much and where I had sanded but I gave it my best try.

The only thing I didn't like was the can's spary pattern. My finger got tired holding the nozzle down (couldn't find my handle attachment) and it definitely showed as I sprayed a bit heavier in some place than others. I did it all late last night so everything is still drying. I of course forgot my camera this morning so pics will have to come tonight or tomorrow morning.

The overall look is great so far so as of right now, I recommend this to everyone. That may change though when I tackle the rest of the hard top
Old 06-25-2009, 10:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you use the bed liner product?
Old 06-25-2009, 03:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any pics please?
Old 06-25-2009, 05:32 PM
JK Freak

I've been wanting to do this since I saw that thread. Keep us updated!
Old 06-25-2009, 05:38 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you should use 3M scotch brite pads the red/maroon it will sand so much faster, a lot easier to get all the nooks and crannies too gray ones if just using regular paint
Old 06-25-2009, 05:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

I think it would be cool to do it in the same color as the dash and door inserts. It would tie all of the interior colors together a little better, in my opinion
Old 06-25-2009, 06:41 PM
JK Freak

Like the gray or khaki color?
Old 06-25-2009, 08:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Was going to post this tomorrow but couldn't wait....

The supplies

All prep'd up

First coat

2nd coat

3rd coat

4th coat

Final (5th coat)

Installed (the lighter parts are refelction from the flash in the rubber pieces of the bed liner material)

Quick Reply: Painting the inside of my hard top black