Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Painted wheels today.

Old 07-17-2014, 04:03 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painted wheels today.

Had Rim Doctor paint the standard painted wheel to match the bumpers and grill of the Freedom Edition 14. I guess it's very similar, if not the same, as the older Mountain Edition.

Very happy how it turned out. $75 a wheel. Took about 5 hours. Got my 430n in today too. Feeling good.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-932858093.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	565886   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1838686358.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	565887  
Old 07-17-2014, 05:19 PM
JK Newbie

Looks good !
Old 07-17-2014, 06:23 PM
JK Newbie

Ouch! $75 a wheel??

Plasti dip,
$6-8 a can!

https://www.dipyourcar.com/examples.html

Tons of colors. Maybe next time..
Old 07-18-2014, 03:52 PM
JK Newbie

I am not sure why everyone is in love with Plasti Dip. I've used it on other things and it just peels to easy and a little rock hitting the wheel would screw it up.

These wheels are painted and clear coated like the factory. Do it right. To each their own I guess.
Old 07-18-2014, 05:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Although I think Plasti Dip is cool......If you know what you want, do it right. I'd pay $75 a rim to have it done right. Looks Great!!!
Old 07-18-2014, 06:25 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Skfloyd
I am not sure why everyone is in love with Plasti Dip. I've used it on other things and it just peels to easy and a little rock hitting the wheel would screw it up. These wheels are painted and clear coated like the factory. Do it right. To each their own I guess.
What exactly is right when it comes to painting wheels. It's just paint on wheels. It's not regearing an axle or installing a lift where there is actually a right and wrong way to do it.

I'll say there are better ways to paint wheels. If applied properly then plastidip doesn't just mess up all that easy. It's easier and cheaper to touch up vs custom painted or powder coated wheels. It's a good cost effective way to paint your wheels if your looking for a matte finish. The money saved by doing it yourself can be out towards other mods. If you decide to go back to stock, sale the wheels, or trade in then you can just peel it off. Custom painted wheels can be harder to sale and can hurt trade in or resale. There's a decent appeal to doing it yourself using plastidip but like you said to each their own.

Now if I wanted a gloss finish or color matching, or different colors, etc then I would go professionally painted or powder coat.
Old 07-19-2014, 02:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like it!

Quick Reply: Painted wheels today.