Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Painted my Racelines and mounted new 37" MT/R Kevlars

Old 08-13-2011, 08:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I've gotten the 35" MT/R Kevlars removed and sold, and have been waiting for my new 37" MT/R Kevlars to get here, and they got here today! Wasn't a fan of the pitted, oxidized look of my Raceline Monster beadlocks. Winter use looks to have taken it's toll on the unfinished aluminum and plus I don't care for polishing wheels constantly, and am a bigger fan of black wheels. Today I took one of the wheels, sanded with 320 grit to get rid of the oxidation and to prep the surface, cleaned with alcohol after sanding, primed with rustoleum self etching primer, dried 30 min, then sprayed with some Krylon Ultra Flat Black Camo paint. Turned out looking great! I've only gotten two coats on. Was going to buy new bolts for the beadlock rings, but 32 bolts x 5 for grade 8 bolts is expensive! So I'm going to clean up the ones I have and reinstalled with antisieze so they don't corrode again.

Before

Prepped for prime

Primed

First one painted

Tires mounted!

Helpers

Took ALL DAY to do these, but they turned out great! Now the rear tires rub the aft end of the stock Rubi rails. Time to push the axle back further or get out the sawzall. Got to dark for mounted pics on the Jeep. I'll get those up tomorrow.

All done!!

Last edited by highoctane; 08-14-2011 at 12:48 PM.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:56 PM
JK Jedi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks much better always good to have helpers nice work
Old 08-13-2011, 09:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice dude, looks great
Old 08-14-2011, 04:45 AM
JK Newbie

Looking good! Can't wait to see those bad boys mounted.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:54 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wheels look awesome, i'm going to have to do this as well... just not black.

Love your furry little helper. i have two little yorkies, one of them went missing last thursday up at the boat under the watch of my brother.. he hasn't turned up anywhere. I have ads and flyers out there and still nothing. We searched land and water for days.. nothing. Hopefully he was on land and somebody picked him up.

sorry, back to the thread.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Great job, those wheels came out looking sweet
Old 08-14-2011, 06:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Yamaha90
Wheels look awesome, i'm going to have to do this as well... just not black.

Love your furry little helper. i have two little yorkies, one of them went missing last thursday up at the boat under the watch of my brother.. he hasn't turned up anywhere. I have ads and flyers out there and still nothing. We searched land and water for days.. nothing. Hopefully he was on land and somebody picked him up.

sorry, back to the thread.
That sucks. Ours is a Silver Yorkie so he's about 15lbs, great dog. Hopefully somebody finds yours.

Originally Posted by GCM 2
Great job, those wheels came out looking sweet
Thanks! I like them much better than the plain aluminum.

For anyone looking at getting these tires id highly recommend them. These tires run very smooth despite what the experiences of quite a few ppl with these tires. My 35" Kevlars would not balance. These with no weights at all yet are smooth to about 60, then I get a small vibe. At walmart(my local walmart has sone very knowledgeable and smart ppl in tire&lube) getting them balanced now, since they have lifetime free tire balances and rotations for $6.50 per tire!

Last edited by highoctane; 08-14-2011 at 07:01 AM.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:04 AM
JK Super Freak

Got the Rubi rails and a good size chunk of the pinch seam cut off. Rain finally let up so I'll get some pics soon. These tires balanced to zero great. Lowest took 2oz and highest took 12.5oz
Old 08-14-2011, 11:18 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by highoctane
Got the Rubi rails and a good size chunk of the pinch seam cut off. Rain finally let up so I'll get some pics soon. These tires balanced to zero great. Lowest took 2oz and highest took 12.5oz
You know, it seems the larger size MTR/K's just don't have the balancing issues that the 35"s do. My MTR/K 40"s ride like a dream and I know Lo2ay's rig with MTR/K 42"s ran great too. Maybe we need a poll of MTR/K's and sizes that are trouble free and sizes that are prone to issues.

Anyway, the Racelines look great in the new color. Take some photos of them back on the JK when you're done!

Last edited by GCM 2; 08-14-2011 at 12:03 PM.
Old 08-14-2011, 12:48 PM
JK Super Freak

Moar pics! All done!

Quick Reply: Painted my Racelines and mounted new 37" MT/R Kevlars